It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do astronauts know about UFOs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
,,, .... but here you are.

Writing is easy, it's communicating with people with different opinions that's hard. THIS is a marvelous forum to get people to dig up shortcomings and flaws in my arguments and research. And it's free. I consider it extremely valuable.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
As any experienced Mission Control worker can tell you, flight crews are 'leaning forward' to notice visual anomalies and report them to Earth for wide consideration of potential causes. Here's an article on that theme. www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 26-6-2017 by JimOberg because: typo

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here's another detailed report I made of exactly WHY it was important to keep watch on anything unusual outside.

www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Here's a NASA report from 1971 about the importance they considered sightings of outside objects could be...

www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

If there is someone who has real world experience that brings first hand knowledge to ATS that helps cut through weeds of myths and hyperbole (myths and hyperbole that breed ignorance), then I for one welcome their experience and knowledge.

I wish for that but knowledge must be credible . And then again which credentials should we trust. A world class scientist ? A astronaut ? Ivanka trump ? It all starts with trust. The old ATS Many witness accounts of abductees now ridiculed. Ancient aliens now a freaky show. We all throw it away and follow the hype. Evidence is an abstract term. How to define absolute evidence , or proof. Everything on ATS eventually becomes a tug of war , an endless tug of war. UFO's 50 years later and what do we know ? What is considered the truth ? Well that's subjective. Even first hand knowledge doesn't help , because then sooner or later an ad hominem attack follows. Eventually the only conclusion is that humanity as a whole has choosen to 'Deny Ignorace' and breed more Myths.

It's all just data, no matter who speaks it or writes it.

All that data still needs to be run through my own filter of personal knowledge + critical thinking + corroboration of the data with other known facts.

Even though NOBODY'S word should be blindly believed without doing a fact check or without doing critical thinking tests on it, information (such as the information and viewpoint that Jim Oberg brings to the discussion) can still be valuable data.

Furthermore, astronaut Edgar Mitchel telling is that he personally believed in alien visitation does not hold any additional importance just because he was an astronaut. Dr. Mitchell's belief in aliens visitation is not any different than my neighbor's belief (my neighbor seems like a reasonable person), and alien visitation does not suddenly become more real just because an astronaut had a personal belief in it as opposed to my neighbor holding that same belief.

In Edgar Mitchell's case, he really didn't bring any new data to the table. He was simply a person who saw the evidence available to all of us, and interpreted that evidence into a strong belief in alien visitation. Another equally reputable person might look at that same evidence and not find it convincing enough to believe. Both opinions are valid as opinions.

edit on 26/6/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Astronaut Gordon Cooper made several compelling claims regarding his UFO experiences beginning in 1951 while serving in the military and as a commercial pilot:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

well ok , it's all data. But for data to become useful it has to be interpreted (as you say a filter and personal knowledge). So data becomes eventually something more , something special. Perhaps even special information to you. Kudos for you for separating the message from the messenger. Astronauts , don't make ufo stories more credible just more complex. Eventually that data becomes tainted with personal feelings (information is always something personal). So as you say the same 'evidence' may be interpreted many many ways. Eventually that's the endless tug of war that the UFO phenomenon causes. Eventually some want to believe ,and there a those who have witnessed. All Witnesses can always be discredited. A

We cant prove anything ever , as you can't prove you have never tasted soylent Green , In one way or another any research starts with preassumptions , one might even call it believe

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
Astronaut Gordon Cooper made several compelling claims regarding his UFO experiences beginning in 1951 while serving in the military and as a commercial pilot:

He was never a commercial pilot.

But he did have two very interesting stories from his pre-NASA days.

What do you suppose UFO researchers realized when they tried to verify both stories?

HINT: The results were never mentioned by UFO writers/bloggers. That's a clue.

But I asked about the Mercury-9 UFO sighting story involving Cooper. Why should anybody believe that one?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

originally posted by: seattlerat

But I asked about the Mercury-9 UFO sighting story involving Cooper. Why should anybody believe that one?

Cooper never said he saw a UFO- all his quotes were taken from an experiment that ostensibly involved releasing a flashing neon Squib and seeing how pretty it was.

ETA: Thought I'd check sources on that and ..yep ...you've already written about it and were probably the source of the above rationale.

Is this a test?
edit on 26-6-2017 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Is this a test?

Research -- I'm still trying to identify the ORIGINAL writer who created the story, I think it was Frank Edwards but I suspect Clark McClelland may have been his source. McClelland claims now he was the NICAP source at the Cape in those early years. When crowd-quizzing for random info snippets, it's astonishing how often SOMEBODY has the missing piece but didn't realize it.
edit on 26-6-2017 by JimOberg because: quote brackets

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Astronauts deliberately LOOK for unusual sights as part of research and curiosity, here are some examples == seedmagazine.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Not much. I suspect a few are pissed they got passed up for the real program, and only get to play around in LEO though (assuming they catch wind of what else exists).

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Is this a test?

Research -- I'm still trying to identify the ORIGINAL writer who created the story, I think it was Frank Edwards but I suspect Clark McClelland may have been his source. McClelland claims now he was the NICAP source at the Cape in those early years. When crowd-quizzing for random info snippets, it's astonishing how often SOMEBODY has the missing piece but didn't realize it.

Oh dear. I haven't seen this connection before. McClelland has been so determined to inject his stories into the NASA narratives that your point doesn't surprise me. In my experience, people with the urge to tell epic shaggy dog tales generally spend their lives doing it. McClelland drew attention with his 'giant aliens in space,' but really he would have been active before then and probably back into childhood.

I'm reminded of Imbrogno casting a shadow over Hynek's Night Siege book. These epic fantasists can really poison a well.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Except when they see a ufo?
You do know none of them claim that right?

There are people who think that astronauts have claimed that but in reality none have.
I've seen people claim it here and others who debunk those claims.

Eat your words.

Evidence of astronaut testimony.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher

There are people who think that astronauts have claimed that but in reality none have.

Eat your words.

Quite correct, Cooper has told of seeing two separate UFOs before he became an astronaut.

Where do you think we can look for any verification done on his stories? What did investigators find?

In spaceflight however -- no stories about alien encounters, but some strange stuff has been seen -- and reported in full.
edit on 18-7-2017 by JimOberg because:

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Eat your words.

Quite correct, Cooper has told of seeing two separate UFOs before he became an astronaut.

Where do you think we can look for any verification done on his stories? What did investigators find?

In spaceflight however -- no stories about alien encounters, but some strange stuff has been seen -- and reported in full.

Good grief. Gordon Coopper was an astronaut. If you want to parse it, yes it was prior to his spaceflight, but he told this story after being an astronaut. So what if it was earlier!? He saw a UFO and he has more to lose than you do by telling people of this incredible event. But, astronaut Gordon Cooper is brave enough to share his experience and take crap from disbelievers. The title of this thread is "What do astronauts know about UFOs?" I believe the video I posted answers the OP. Just not an answer within the NASA framework, but by an astronaut with a lot to lose to lie about this.

Jim maybe you weren't privy to the high level sighting information inside NASA or you'd be contributing to the answers on this thread.
edit on 18-7-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Less than they should have been told i imagine.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

These NASA Astronauts Believe Aliens Have Already Contacted Us

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Eat your words.

Good grief. Gordon Coopper was an astronaut. If you want to parse it, yes it was prior to his spaceflight, but he told this story after being an astronaut. So what if it was earlier!? He saw a UFO and he has more to lose than you do James Oberg (Scholar?) by telling people of this incredible event. But, astronaut Gordon Cooper is brave enough to share his experience and take crap from disbelievers. The title of this thread is "What do astronauts know about UFOs?" I believe the video I posted answers the OP. Just not an answer within the NASA framework, but by an astronaut with a lot to lose to lie about this.

Jim maybe you weren't privy to the high level sighting information inside NASA or you'd be contributing to the answers on this thread.

So you don't want to answer the reasonable question about what verification research uncovered about his stories?

Or whether ANY astronaut has reported encountering alien spacecraft on NASA missions?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

These NASA Astronauts Believe Aliens Have Already Contacted Us

Cooper's stories were from before his astronaut career, and the question of verification remains open.

Mitchell never had any personal UFO experiences.

O'Leary dropped out of the training program, and never reported any personal experiences.

Slayton reported one puzzling pre-NASA sighting with a lot of contextual information that is omitted in the UFO media.

Has ANY astronaut reported what he/she interpreted as ETI evidence on ANY space mission?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join