It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Hilariously Abuses Hi-Point Pistol to Prove it Sucks, but the Gun Refuses to Fail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
You ask any serious gun owners, and most of them immediately write it off as worthless. Some who have used them will tell you they are not bad. Personally I have used the 9mm, the .40 and the .45 . It is heavy but the weight keeps the recoil down and to me is easier to sight back in for follow up shots.

Anyways, this guy from Demolition Ranch totally hates them, and seeks to prove to everyone how crappy they are in this funny video. Its about ten minutes, but I found it quite entertaining. He does everything bad you can do to this thing. Drags it behind his truck, throws it in water, drops pond scum into the chamber, runs it over with the truck, even shoots the damn thing with another gun landing a hit in critical area.

The result may surprise you, I know they did me! But either way, its too funny of a video to pass up for durability test.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I have little experience with hi-point. My guess is he got a good one. The one I used couldn't get thru a clip without jaming.

They have a bad rep because they do have poor quality control. I just can't trust a weapon that has so many failures to fire given the point of a gun is to work when needed...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Color me impressed. That thing held up better than I would have thought.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
What a Redneck loser...

Firing a gun that has been hit on a critical point with his bare hands...

Shows that not all gun owners are responsable when it comes to safety!

He could have suffered a nasty injury if the barrel had blown apart!

Not just that but think of the possible ricochet effect when he fired on that pistol...

Today's Darwin award goes to this guy in my opinion.

Warmest

Lags

Ps. My apologies to our intelligent Rednecks out there.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Notably0ffbeat

I had a keltec 380 that did the same thing. I'd get a halfway through the clip and it would jam. I ended up getting rid of it. It was too small for my big ass hand and kicked too much for my wife to use.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
You guys with Failure to Feed issues: It's probably your magazine. QC on those is nothing like QC on the firearm itself. It could also be the ammo. Cheap ammo is ... well ... cheap.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

They are actually really terrible guns in pretty much every way. From the Zamak S**t metal they're made from, I wouldn't insult perfectly good pot metal by calling hi points pot metal, to the utterly crap single stack magazine and using a blowback action for anything bigger than .380 when you aren't equipping millions of conscripts are each on their own inexcusable!

Also, you're so completely wrong about the recoil thing it's not even funny!

Hi points are blowback action pistols, which means that the only thing holding the bullet in the chamber is the weight of the slide. It also means that a blowback action firearm will pretty much always have harsher recoil and more violent cycling than locked breech pistols while also being less safe and requiring heavier springs which are hard for many to operate!

Locked breech actions are not that much more complicated and give you a much more usable firearm that is lighter smaller and safer.

Combine all 3 though and you wind up with a giant heavy low capacity and not at all safe gun considering how hot some factory ammo is now!

The reality is that things like this and the raven etc are guns suitable only for criminals and IDIOTS!

YES! YOU ARE AN IDIOT IF YOU BUY AND CARRY HI POINT PISTOLS!

There's all sorts of ways to get into the shooting sports on the cheap that don't involve buying absolute crap.

And FWIW, you can get a well made pistol used or on sale or as police trade ins every day of the week all year for not much more than a hi point with nothing but an internet connection and a little effort!

You can also do as I did and learn to fix build modify and machine guns and gun parts, again all it requires is effort and an internet connection!

Personally I don't believe in spending a ton on pistols since they are distinctly weapons of last resort which if you ever actually have to use in a defensive shooting you're unlikely to get back most places.

So it's not like I don't get the desire to keep your costs down, but there's a difference between thrift and stupidity.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Wait, you're castigating people for buying cheap ammo and yet somehow hi point pistols are OK?

Newsflash, I use cheap ammo in good guns all the time and I have better results than you're ever going to get out of a hi point!

Also, it's far from just their magazines which have poor QC!

Their zamak cast and likely metal injection molded parts are by their very existence massive QC failures!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

Ha Ha ... no way. Cheap ammo is always better'n no ammo.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Ummm...Yup...I used to have a Beretta CX4 Storm 45 that would jam...I sent it back to Beretta for repair...as the round was loaded it would ever so slightly score the casing on one side...there was a burr that scored the casing...They rebuilt it at no charge and shipped it back...

I kept getting split casings after firing the round...turns out it was a combination of the burr and the thin Remington casing causing all the issues...

I never had the issue with Federal or Hornady even before the rebuild...their casings are better quality...

YouSir
edit on 26-6-2017 by YouSir because: the reply to: broke...and I had to fix it...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie

Wait, you're castigating people for buying cheap ammo and yet somehow hi point pistols are OK?

Newsflash, I use cheap ammo in good guns all the time and I have better results than you're ever going to get out of a hi point!

Also, it's far from just their magazines which have poor QC!

Their zamak cast and likely metal injection molded parts are by their very existence massive QC failures!

Ummm...yup...the damn things are a nightmare to tear down and clean as well...for such a cheap piece...they're an over complicated construction designed by idiots to be sold to same...

Yessir...idiot here...I owned the 9mil plinker carbine...what a pile...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The guy in the video is an idiot.
I own several handguns including a Hi-Point 9mm that I bought on a whim.
I have shot several hundred rounds of both cheap and good ammo through it and never had it jam once and it is remarkably accurate.
It does weigh a ton with a loaded magazine in it...probably around 40oz or more.
Compared to my Glock 19, it's like night and day but I would say overall, the one I have is a decent handgun but definitely not my go to weapon.
edit on 26-6-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The girl has their 9, I can't hit anything with it.

Then again, I can't hit anything with my 9 either. Hmm.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I have heard enough that I will not own a Hi-Point.
I will pass. Looks like you have a 50/50 shot of getting a good gun or a piece if crap; I don't like those odds.
I carry the M&P Shield

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I tested a Hi-Point C9 pistol several years ago.

I was not impressed. Your life is too important to trust a subpar weapon, based on a video made by a YouTube channel, that I wish would go away due to all the safety violations they engage in.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

oh you think thats bad , he fired a .50 cal barret sniper rifle at a 3 inch thick block of titanium

and didnt even worry about ricochet

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I tested a Hi-Point C9 pistol several years ago.

I was not impressed. Your life is too important to trust a subpar weapon, based on a video made by a YouTube channel, that I wish would go away due to all the safety violations they engage in.

That's why I called the guy in the video an idiot.
To completely mishandle a weapon like that, no matter what you think of the brand, is very dangerous.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Can't say I'm surprised. I've seen other, more extensive torture tests of the Hi Point and it took a LOT to kill it. While I do think its kind of a piece of ****, I can't deny that its a tough POS.

Unless I absolutely couldn't afford anything else, I'd much, MUCH rather scrape my pennies together and buy something in the $250-300 range. New and particularly used, there are far more options and much better quality available at that price point.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
You know exactly what I mean....

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: Lagomorphe

oh you think thats bad , he fired a .50 cal barret sniper rifle at a 3 inch thick block of titanium

and didnt even worry about ricochet

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I was gonna say lol...

I've been building pistols and long guns for so long it's actually strange for me to buy a gun that comes fully assembled!

I did just pick up 2 M&P shields, one for me one for the wife, since they were on sale for so little!

Which wound up not being all that cheap once 8 more 8 round magazines and 6 +2 round base plate extensions and holsters also got bought...

But we've both needed a summer time carry gun that is really really unobtrusive since we live in a blue city!

Hopefully this pistol design project I'm working on pans out though, because in even small scale production money could be made selling it at $200 with a pair of 15-23 round magazines depending upon caliber choice!

(BTW, it would still be smaller lighter and better than a hi point... Or really a Glock for that matter!)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join