It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Galaxies, Stars and Constellations with Arabic names

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Who said anything about Muslims? Seems like you've got a bone to pick but this isn't the thread for it. Let us have at least one thread without religion and politics getting into it will you?

Muslim heritage dot com...

PS, Allah is not Yahweh... And the Ot vs Nt thing.. Youre repeating others. Do you believe in the American Revolution? Bunch of murderous rapists they were...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

So are our numbers.
All Arabic
So what?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

They led the way in medicine too. Healers came from far and wide to study medicine in the middle east.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

It says Arabs, not Muslims.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Mars was a Greek God.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

That had to be the most unenlightening video, stopping before the good points. Here's some things that we know from history and archaeology and anthropology.

* ALL people named stars and constellations.
* TECHNICALLY, the stars with Arabic names are stars named by other cultures (including Greeks)... BUT THE ONLY BOOKS ON ACCURATE ASTRONOMY THAT SURVIVED THROUGH THE DARK AGES WERE ARABIC. This includes classical books (by Greeks and others) on stars and constellations.
* The Dark Ages after the collapse of Rome (post 500 AD) saw the destruction and loss of many libraries and classical texts. They were preserved in the Byzantine Empire for awhile and as scholarship rose in the Arabic world their scholars became interested in these books and started copying them.
* Translators translated these books into Arabic for ease of reading and also translated the names (like "the Red One") into Arabic.
* when Renaissance scholars translated the books BACK into European languages, they kept the Arabic names.

The video apparently cut off before that explanation.

edit on 26-6-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Stars, galaxies, celestial bodies, and all that have Arabic, Chinese and Australian Aborigine names. However, I live in the West where the names have come out of the European tradition. I am not about to change what I call Mars, or the North Star.

Also, not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims are Arabs.

Err... you do know that Mars is not a star, right?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What you all (and Mr Tyson) seem to forget is that the Egyptians (and they weren't Arabic) named the stars and constellations thousands of years before the Romans, Arabs and the Persians. As identified in their hieroglyphs.
As has already been stated later peoples added their own names to them, so no the Arabs were not the first to name the stars and constellations.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Mars was a Greek God.

Well done. Ten out of ten. Greece influenced Europe and ultimately the "West". This is why where I live the Red Planet is Mars and not Yang Squatflapperdog, or whatever.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Never the less, the Occidental man uses English and Latin more often than not, as well as alphabet & numbers.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Mars was a Greek God.

Well done. Ten out of ten. Greece influenced Europe and ultimately the "West". This is why where I live the Red Planet is Mars and not Yang Squatflapperdog, or whatever.

You really need to study the Solar System sometime.
I mean, really!
Everyone knows Yang Squatflapperdog is only a minor moon orbiting Jupiter.

Harte

top topics

<< 1   >>

join