It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In case you are wondering, this isn't cool.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

And just for arguments sake....What's your race and geographical location??

And please be honest....I was....I'm a half Mexican living in the US southeast....Born and raised below the Mason Dixon Line...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Busy thread, but I wanted to say "thank you" for standing up for truth, and for having the gumption to question the official story.

Yankees come down here and visit; Damn Yankees come down here and stay; Brothers in Arms come down here and stay without bringing the lies and corruption of the North.

We got enough of that already.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Those black guys who never lived during the antebellum south or whatever sure seem proud to wave the southern flag and they have no recollection of the old days since they werent born then nor experienced any of the civil war or prior. Maybe it has to do with identifying as a southerner and nothing else.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Im caucasion born north but lived south in a deep red state since I was 10 yrs old.

I honestly dont think im uneducated or ignorant on this issue. Im open minded to ideas that are not my own but I know that the civil war included the freedom of slaves if the north won. Please do not tell me any different or try and sku that to make the rebel flag so awesome.

Im not saying that every northern was not racist and every southerner is.

Im just saying that the rebel flag was waved around by people who wanted slavery and that is why it has bad connotations and not very much accepted today.

However, back then, it was normal to have slaves and was a beautiful flag, i respect that, however, times have changed.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

No times have changed, rights have not.

Are you saying that people should not have a confed flag because it is not "accepted today"?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

no, lol, not at all.

You should be able to tattoo it across your forehead and have 4 of them hanging off your truck bed.

However, dont be surprised if you dont get any business from me or from anyone for that matter.

Thats all

(when i say you, i dont literally mean YOU)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

A lot of it was done in retaliation, to punish the South for daring to defy the north and leave.

They wanted to control the South, and did so through voting. The only way the blacks could vote is if they were free. They also took steps to prevent white southerners from voting.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

got ya

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

a reply to: burdman30ott6

so, in a nutshell, they were fighting to keep slavery, ok thanks

No, they were fighting for states' rights. ok thanks.

which...(drumroll please)...included...the right to OWN SLAVES!

Well then, in that case Lincoln was also fighting for DC's right to put Indians on reservations, seize privately owned land, prevent blacks and women from voting, base laws on Christian principles, and even, dare I say it, kneel and kiss the ass of corporations while using tax payer dollars to swaddle those kiss marks. Still want to travel down this cryptic road of horsecrap, boss?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I do not doubt that Lincoln had an alterior motive...at all...but im sure blacks were proud to be free.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Not the ones who died of starvation...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I think the confederate flag is like most other symbols, the symbol itself is not wrong (or right, it just IS), only how it's used. But whether a person likes it or not, it IS a part of our history, and denying history is a dangerous thing.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

but im sure blacks were proud to be free.

Really? Free with zero rights and effective status as paternal company store owned men? Free? Free and proud as their American flag which flew over a nation that embraced slavery in all states for the first 85 years of it's existence?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

yes, im sure they were proud to be free.

Some may have been confused and some may have decided to remain slaves, but at least they had the choice, are you trying to say they were not happy to be free?

Its not just blacks... its human nature to want to be free, please please do not waste your time trying to explain to me some bs that blacks did not want their freedom...please

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

What made you think blacks were originally supposed to be free? They were not. Emancipation evolved into a strategy to hurt the South, it was not originally part of the plan even during the start of the Civil War.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I really do not have any idea what this has to do with the topic of the thread.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I'm saying that what you're calling freedom didn't exist at that time. Change of masters isn't freedom, it's sale.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

You're right, of course. It is just a symbol. I think I actually said that at the beginning of my first post in this thread. And it has gotten a bad rap over the years... most of it directly caused by the very culture that demonizes it today.

The Ku Klux Klan is mostly to blame, of course, because the flag has been used by them since the War of Northern Aggression. But they have a history that goes far further back in history than the war. They started off as a vigilante justice group, not very unlike the Guardian Angels in New York. Back then the South was ruled by land barons (plantation owners); most of the population was rural and poor. These plantation owners pretty much ruled an almost feudal culture. Corruption was rampant, and the law only truly applied to those who had the right connections. The KKK was formed to right wrongs that the law wouldn't (or couldn't) right. They went after corrupt politicians, wife-beaters, slave-beaters, horse-beaters, thieves, deadbeats... anything that went against the law or tradition.

They dressed in white to symbolize purity, and wore hoods for protection from retaliation. Those targeted would wake up in the middle of the night to a cross (Christian symbol) burning in their front yard. The fire was a way to make it glow; no more, no less. That was a warning: shape up, or else; we're watching you. If the target didn't shape up, the next meeting would be a severe beating. The third strike would be an execution.

There was never a beating under a lit cross, as the media likes to portray. That was a much more recent development, and a further bastardization of the original intent.

When the soldiers returned from the war to their destroyed homes, dead relatives, burned fields, and carpetbaggers actively stealing land, they were full of hate. The freed slaves were, through no fault of their own, a constant reminder of their suffering, so the white supremacist movement was born. The soldiers kept the flag they fought under.

Over time, the racism in the KKK got worse, but the majority of the population mellowed and moved on. This majority kept their flag too, to show that they may have been beaten in battle but would never be defeated in life. It became a legacy of strength and resolve and a fiercely independent spirit. The KKK became a symbol of racism, and in my area, has been almost completely ignored into oblivion.

The true irony is that by attacking the flag, people are actually attacking those who have moved on from that tragic period in history. Those who still cling to hatred benefit as they hide in the shadows, while those who believe in live and let live are punished.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
The Ku Klux Klan is mostly to blame, of course, because the flag has been used by them since the War of Northern Aggression.

I could be mistaken but I thought they only started using it sometime between WW1 and WW2.

Either way, this Northern boy realizes the topic is quite a bit deeper and gray than the picture painted in my schooling.
edit on 26-6-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Oh, no... I know it goes back to the early 1800s. Maybe into colonial times, although I kinda doubt it since the South wasn't well settled back then.

A mystique has grown around the Klan, and the media has taken full advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong; I have no use for the KKK of today. In my youth I was asked to join, twice, and both times turned them down cold. I'm glad they're (all but) gone. I just don't think it helps anyone to rewrite history. Confederate history has become a hobby of mine, since it interweaveseems tightly with my family history.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join