It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In case you are wondering, this isn't cool.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Who said that it was ok?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: veracity

However, the rebel flag was created out of racism, the swaztika was just chosen to be a symbol of hatred by the nazi's.

Wrong. The Confederate Battlejack (aka the 'Rebel Flag') was created in opposition to an oppressive government.

Please don't try to re-write my history.

TheRedneck

im not trying to rewrite yours or mine or anyone's history. The confederacy came up with the flag, what did the confederacy fight for? Wasnt it slavery?

Your lack of education is showing.....Slavery was not why the civil war was fought.....Matter of fact most people in the North didn't even care about their being slaves...This was about money and the secession of the South from the North...

edit on 26-6-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

a reply to: GuidedKill

Racism is all that, and alot more...alot more that flies right over your head apparently.

Sorry you dont get it...you are just a whittle poor white snowflake

I'm Mexican but thanks for playing.....Once again your lack of education is showing....You should cover that up before you get embarrassed...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

What he is saying is what they teach in the North. It was not until I was older and studied things on my own I saw how much my education was a twisting of the truth.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

What he is saying is what they teach in the North. It was not until I was older and studied things on my own I saw how much my education was a twisting of the truth.

Still not an excuse for his/her lack of education...If you don't know ask questions...Don't come in like you know everything and then spew a bunch of garbage and pass them off as facts because they are his/her moronic beliefs...Beliefs obviously based off fantasy and not reality....

Sorry but that person needs a serious reality check and history lesson. I'm a minority who lives in the South and have for 30+ years.....I don't need a yankee or someone from another Country telling me what's happening in my own back yard..

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The confederacy came up with the flag, what did the confederacy fight for? Wasnt it slavery?

That isn't the flag of the CSA. It's the flag of the Confederate military.

No, it wasn't about slavery. Even Lincoln said so. It was about our right to sovereignty. The CSA withdrew from the Union, so the Union went to war to keep us under thumb. Slavery was one hotbutton issue among many that the North and South disagreed on, and the one used by the Union to build public support after they started losing.

The CSA was at war the entire time it existed, and the actual flag of the CSA only flew in the South. The armies of the CSA flew the Battlejack, so that was the flag Yankees, in all their ignorant glory, associated with the South.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

However, the rebel flag was created out of racism, the swaztika was just chosen to be a symbol of hatred by the nazi's.

Wrong. The Confederate Battlejack (aka the 'Rebel Flag') was created in opposition to an oppressive government.

TheRedneck

im not trying to rewrite yours or mine or anyone's history. The confederacy came up with the flag, what did the confederacy fight for? Wasnt it slavery?

Your lack of education is showing.....Slavery was not why the civil war was fought.....Matter of fact most people in the North didn't even care about their being slaves...This was about money and the secession of the South from the North...

so.......why did the north free the slaves, if they didn't care about slavery?....with that logic, wouldn't the north just jail the secessionists, and keep the hundreds of thousands of black slaves to continue to work for free?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Original Confederate Flag.....Geez people your on this forum via the World Wide Web....Use it to do a little history search before you make an online profile and look like an idiot. The "Rebel" flag everyone is in uproar about was only a battle flag that was adopted after the Civil war started..

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Northerners are taught they are superior to other people.

So while I agree with your sentiment, there is no excuse for their ignorance, I can understand where it comes from.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

ding Ding, we have a winner. Stars and Bars.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I didn't say slavery didn't play a part...I'm just telling you the slavery issues was pushed later in the war to gain support from people in the North...Kind of like we do today...Point out another countries issues and moral behavior as an excuse to invade them for what we really want...Power and profits... No Different.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Northerners are taught they are superior to other people.

So while I agree with your sentiment, there is no excuse for their ignorance, I can understand where it comes from.

Grandpa used to call them Carpetbaggers..

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

what did the confederacy fight for?

They fought for state's rights and against a trend that had all of the country's money and power flowing out of the south and into the North thanks to the industrial revolution. The North didn't give a rat's ass about freeing slaves or giving rights to blacks, they simply wanted the same cheap labor the southern agricultural industry had become so strong off the backs of. You can't run industrial labor as slaves, it doesn't work... they need to be able to read and they need to be housed off site from the industry. So you give 'em "freedom" but then you take from their wages to pay for their room and board and training, making them have next to nothing remaining at the end of each working day. Paternalism replaced slavery, but at the end of the day there wasn't much of a difference between the two... certainly not enough of a difference to embrace the infantile and un-nuanced position that the Civil War was about slavery.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

so, in a nutshell, they were fighting to keep slavery, ok thanks

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Thank you!

A lot of the 'bad-ass'ness came from the reputation of the Southern army. They defeated the Yankees, badly, in most early clashes, which is also where the mystique of the 'rebel yell' came from. The war effort turned when Sherman cut his swath through the South to disrupt supply lines. It wasn't Yankee bravado that won the war... it was lack of supplies.

Slavery was brought up because the North was losing interest in the slaughter... public sentiment was changing toward the fight not being worth the carnage. Lincoln needed a cause, and slavery fit the bill. The Yankees were fighting to abolish slavery, the Union army was fighting to preserve the Union, the Rebels were fighting for their way of life, and the Confederate army was fighting for independence

Incidentally, Sherman, in cutting that swath, killed untold slaves. He was a devout racist, and had this habit of burning crops, raiding and then destroying houses and businesses, killing elderly, women, and children (sometimes horribly while forcing his next victims, usually family members to watch), then burning bridges behind him specifically to keep the "negroes" (his words, straight from his writings) from following. A great many freed slaves died of exposure or starvation because he left them with no way to get shelter or food.

Terrible time in history, that was... I wish we could have learned our lessons, but the Yankees wrote the history books... now they want to remove the few reminders that might save us from another one.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

No, they were fighting for states' rights. ok thanks.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

TheRedneck

I know there was much more behind the scenes to the civil war but it came down to keeping slavery or abolishing it. Even Lincoln didnt care about slavery but his stance was to free the blacks bc it helped him out politically.

Please dont pretend slavery had NOTHING to do with the civil war therefore anyone who doesnt like the rebel flag (which is more than half of us) is crazy, please

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

No, they were fighting for states' rights. ok thanks.

which...(drumroll please)...included...the right to OWN SLAVES!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

TheRedneck

Please dont pretend slavery had NOTHING to do with the civil war therefore anyone who doesnt like the rebel flag (which is more than half of us) is crazy, please

And you please don't pretend like anyone below the Mason Dixon line cared about this issue.... Believe me flags, statutes and memorials have been flying down here for decades with no problem at all. Matter of fact a lot of those flags and memorials were flown by minorities who still had pride in their Southern Heritage....No matter how bad it may have been years ago. Those symbols were a reminder of where the South came from and why it shouldn't make the same mistakes it did in the past....

It wasn't until a bunch of libtard Yankess came along and started saying because they were offended obviously EVERYONE was offended....There was no problem until people like you started pushing their uneducated beliefs and "feelings" on other people.....If you have some sort of guilt that's a personal problem...Most people in the South could care less who that statute in the park is of....

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

which...(drumroll please)...included...the right to OWN SLAVES!

Yep, just like was legal in the North at the time.

Lincoln's great Emancipation Proclamation only ended slavery in the South... it did not affect the North, where slavery was still legal (although being phased out socially).

Just because one issue existed, it does not follow that that was the primary issue. Most Southerners never owned slaves, and the CSA had black companies that fought and died at the hands of white Yankee soldiers... for their right to live free.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join