It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor man substitutes, what are yours?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend
manolo taste on a payless budget. such is the statement of life.

Holy crap you get my screen name?

So I am not allowed to appreciate fine shoes? What does your comment even mean? My screen name if you must know was my email address and that is the only reason it's my name on here.

Also you seem to know nothing of Manolo Blahnik vs Payless cost. You can get Manolo's on Ebay, vintage for what brand new crappy Payless shoes cost! Payless shoes don't last and are not made of the same quality. I know because I buy Manolo's on ebay and I have never spent more than $50 on a pair! They are the best shoes I own and the other pairs I own were gifts years ago by a friend and a boyfriend. I love my Something Blue ones from the Sex and The City movie, they were a birthday gift. I could have paid my bills for the month with what those cost, again they were a gift.

I am the queen of high fashion bargain shopping among my friends. I have vintage handbags I got for a buck at second hand shops. $200 suits that cost me $4 at my local thrift shop. You clearly know nothing about bargain shopping. Just because someone has designer it doesn't mean they paid full price. I would personally never pay that much for anything new. I wait til it's second hand and scoop it up then. I have a $1500 vintage Versace dress I got 10 years ago for $40 WITH TAGS! Yea that's how I roll.

Again I fail to see how my taste in shoes has anything to do with what I posted.

edit on 6/25/2017 by mblahnikluver because: spelling and fix comment that didnt post right

edit on 6/25/2017 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/25/2017 by mblahnikluver because: I guve up lol

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

cat tails are also edible, along with many other common things that grow around us.

Don't forget fiddle-heads, with butter make a great substitute for Asparagus
The leafs of the weed Purslane have a tart, almost lemony tang with a peppery kick and have the highest levels of Omega-3 fatty acids than any other plant.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver
A few ketchup packets and hot water makes so so tomato soup.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
A few ketchup packets and hot water makes so so tomato soup.

SKID MARK!!!!! Holy wow, where have you been?!

You know I have used ketchup like that before when I didn't have any tomato sauce. I watered it down. It worked!

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Bleu cheese dressing on spaghetti.

Between this and your rueben casserole how the hell are you still alive?

I live because dying would make too many happy.

Haha you two crack me up!

Spaghetti and blue cheese actually sounds good. I love blue cheese. I could add some EVOO and some garlic and fresh basil, diced tomato. Hmmmm. I may have to try that.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend

is it a sweet pie crust or just a regular pie crust?
you could use about three of four eggs, slice potatoes kinda thin, slice some zucchini and squash, a bit of minced garlic...make a sort of veggie pie. and it's accidentally healthy.

That sounds good. It's just a regular crust. My mom just brought me some milk. YAY! Quiche it is tomorrow!
This sounds like something my mom makes with tomatoes and zucchini. It's sooooo good!

for dessert, maybe crunch up a granola bar and put a dash of flat Dr. pepper in it. just a dash. put it in the fridge to let it chill out. there ya go!

Oh that is a great idea! I actually have FLAT Dr. Pepper in my fridge, haha! How did you know that? :O

I've grown so used to living with meager supplies that I look at every trip to the kitchen as a mystery challenge.
poor people make the best chefs!
and stoned people.

Yes we do. LOL I have had to figure out many things because I couldn't buy it. I find cooking from scratch to be cheaper and obviously better for you. I just haven't had the money to keep the basics stocked in the house that I use for cooking. Usually when I go grocery shopping I buy a lot of produce and breads. I don't buy the stuff on the inside aisles. It's too expensive and tastes gross!

I made homemade hamburger helper the other night with the last of my beef. It is so easy and it doesn't take much, just beef, tomato sauce, mustard, powdered garlic and onion or fresh, some pasta and cheese. I add mushrooms and basil to it and it's so good. I actually used up the last of my tomato sauce to make it but it was damn good! The boxed stuff doesn't have anything on homemade. I use yolk free egg noodles in it instead of a heavy pasta. Oh it's so good!

HAHA yea stoner recipes. LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

If used correctly, that flat Dr. Pepper can be put to use as a flavoring agent with some meats.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If used correctly, that flat Dr. Pepper can be put to use as a flavoring agent with some meats.

I would never have used it for that. LOL I don't even know how I got Dr.Pepper in my fridge. It's flat because I don't really drink soda. I have to be careful with soda, especially the HFCS laced kind. It causes my sugar to skyrocket. I can't have HFCS at all in my food. It's gross and cause me to have shakes! If I want soda I have to buy the kind made with cane sugar or the Mexican kind at the grocery store.

Do you marinate it in Dr. Pepper?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
potted meat and crackers. those cans of potted meat are like 30 cents a piece. cheap crackers. if youre really feeling like a little something special you can put mustard on it

I was thinkin' I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat if ya got any extree.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
Poor man substitutes

Well... most of my substitutes for men are quite good but I do have some poor ones, as well. I think some poor subsitutes for men might be ice cream, chocolate, watching an historical fiction (Gangs of New York being a great fall-back).

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TinySickTears
potted meat and crackers. those cans of potted meat are like 30 cents a piece. cheap crackers. if youre really feeling like a little something special you can put mustard on it

I was thinkin' I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat if ya got any extree.

mmm hhmmmm
how bout some of them french fried potaters

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Poor man substitutes

Well... most of my substitutes for men are quite good but I do have some poor ones, as well. I think some poor subsitutes for men might be ice cream, chocolate, watching an historical fiction (Gangs of New York being a great fall-back).

OMG I can't stop laughing. This is the best and most entertaining comment. Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I always try to have powdered milk on hand because it lasts a long time and is a great substitute for fresh milk when you run out.

I prefer skim milk powder and you can make it extra creamy by adding more to mixture. Great for baking , pasta dishes... I've even made coffee flavouring with it extra creamy and almond extract or other flavourings.

Would recommend anyone to always have a supply of powdered milk on hand. It also has tons of calcium when you make it extra strong .. which is a "bone"us .
edit on 25-6-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

you took that waaaaaay out of context.
i meant it as a compliment regarding not letting your current situation affect your appreciation of fine things.

but if that is the first place you went with it, ok.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
I once had to resort to cornflakes and sardines because there was nothing else in the cupboard......tasted like crap.
Shouldnt that be carp

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Poor man substitutes

OMG I can't stop laughing. This is the best and most entertaining comment. Thanks for the laugh!

Kudos for getting it. It's what I thought the op meant when I first read the title.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
potted meat?

do they still sale it next to the canned pig brains?

you know

pork brains w milk gravy.

*shudder*

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Awesome! That's great news.
I sent you a pm. I was gonna email ya some loot to get ya by till payday.
With a catch though... that you payed it forward when you where comfortable financially again.
Everybody, at on every point or another in life needs a helping hand. Not a hand out, but a hand to help ya pull yourself back on your feet again.
I'm glad to hear it all worked out in the end.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I've been lurking around. I was glad to see that you found a job. How is it?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Substituting foods were a big thing during rationing (UK 1939-1953). The govt even produced recipes for people to follow.

Lots of such recipes here www.recipespastandpresent.org.uk...

Necessity being the mother of invention lead to innovations such as pea pods being used to make wine, (I tried this, just the once and never again!).

For milk substitute, make your own from oats ohsheglows.com... or rice happyherbivore.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join