It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel strikes Syrian military near Golan Heights

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Israel accused the Syrian Arab Army (SAA) of firing mortars into the Golan Heights and retaliated by destroying two tanks and one ZSU-23-4 Shilka.

Following the strikes, the Al-Qaeda linked "Hay’at Tahrir Al-Sham" militants stormed SAA positions, where they are currently engaged in a fierce battle to take control of this region.

A source in the SAA said they did not fire any mortar shells or rockets towards the occupied areas of the Golan Heights, adding that it is an excuse the Israelis use constantly for their attacks.

(CNN)Israel launched strikes on Syrian military positions Saturday, close to the two countries' disputed border in the Golan Heights, according to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). The action was a response to what the IDF said were more than 10 projectiles fired into Israel from inside Syria. The IDF described the projectile fire as "errant," blaming it on internal fighting. Israeli aircraft targeted three positions from which the projectiles were fired, the IDF said. The strikes included hits on two tanks belonging to the Syrian regime.

Syrian state-run news agency SANA reported several people were killed in the Israeli strikes. SANA said fighting in the area is between the Syrian regime and the al Nusra Front, a militant Syrian rebel group. No one is reported to have been wounded as a result of the projectile fire.

edition.cnn.com...

Other sources:
www.timesofisrael.com...
uk.businessinsider.com...
www.haaretz.com...

Meanwhile, Israel is happily letting ISIS border the occupied Golan Heights:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: WombRaider69

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WombRaider69

Syria learned years ago that a conflict in the Golan Heights is not a good tactic. And given the current state of their nation and the heavy conflict they face within their own borders from rebels, ISIS and Al-Qaeda groups, I would have misgivings believing that they intentionally tried to strike at the IDF. That's not to say they didn't, perhaps accidentally.

But if they did lob a few mortar rounds or something clearly into Israeli borders, I am not surprised whatsoever at the IDF's response. They simply and absolutely do not mess around. Regardless of what anyone may feel about the nation of Israel as a whole, they rightly see themselves as being surrounded by enemies who mainly want their entire population driven to the sea and exterminated. So they always respond, and strongly.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: EveryUsernameWasTaken

It is strange that Isis rarely attacks Israel. I read a story not long ago about a female Israeli soldier being stabbed and Isis claimed responsibility.

If Syria did bomb the Golan Heights territory Israel has the right to defend the population.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yourmomsentme

It is strange that Isis rarely attacks Israel. I read a story not long ago about a female Israeli soldier being stabbed and Isis claimed responsibility.

If Syria did bomb the Golan Heights territory Israel has the right to defend the population.

I believe rarely is the wrong word, they have never attacked Israel as far as my knowledge and if you can find an attack I would like the source, all I have ever seen is Israel treating ISIS/Al Qaeda in their hospitals and sending them back in.

The co-ordination of the attack by Al Qaeda is case and point.
edit on America/ChicagoSundayAmerica/Chicago06America/Chicago630amSunday7 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Well done. Good laugh in the morning. Literal LOL. Mourning laugh. But heartbreakinginly true. Is that a word?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Stop defending them. Israel is not fighting the same enemy (ISIS), Israel only used this incident to attack the syrian forces that are currently crushing ISIS. The greater israel project is all about destabilizing surrounding nations, ultimately in persuit of this dream of a “greater Israel” from the Euphrates down to the Nile, all the way to the eastern Mediterranean. This is the dream of these Zionist psychopaths and so destabilizing governments, creating secreterian strife via ISIS, is all part of that menu and all part of the design to create a “Greater Israel”.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricFeel

I didn't say they were fighting ISIS. I said that since Syria IS, I didn't think it likely they'd purposely want to have to worry about clashing with Israel, too. And merely stating Israel's point of view and demonstrable history of trying to do more damage than they take in situations like this isn't defending them. It is merely discussing the facts.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

JERUSALEM STABBING: ISIS CLAIMS FIRST DEADLY ATTACK IN ISRAEL

Here is the source....www.newsweek.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

JERUSALEM STABBING: ISIS CLAIMS FIRST DEADLY ATTACK IN ISRAEL

Here is the source....www.newsweek.com...

From your source...

Fawzi Barhoum, a Hamas spokesman, rejected the ISIS claim, calling it “one of the Israeli intelligence’s fabrications.” He said it was a move to “confuse the media and distort the reputation of the Palestinian resistance.” He confirmed one of the attackers was a member of Hamas and the other two members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

And...

Instead, an obscure Palestinian group known as the “Groups of Martyr Baha Eleyan” claimed responsibility. The group said it had “no links outside Palestine,” and justified the attack “in defense of our Jerusalem.” The city, particularly the Old City, which hosts Jewish, Christian and Muslim holy sites, is one of the most contested pieces of land in the Middle East, maybe the world.

Perhaps it was ISIS, but there is also merit to these alternative claims.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I guess it all depends on which liar you want to believe.

Regardless it is very strange Israel isn't being attacked on a daily basis by Isis. Something smells fishy.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It is strange that Isis rarely attacks Israel.

Why is it strange?

ISIS is not out to hound Israel, it's out to create an Islamic caliphate across existing Muslim dominated land. Why antagonise someone who will slap you back?

Israel is content to let the Muslims fight each other. While they are doing that, they are not targeting Israel. Israel gets a peace because everyone (essentially) the Muslim world is fighting it out in Syria - Iran, Turkey and the Gulf States.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Yourmomsentme

I don't think ISIS has the infrastructure to launch any sort of assault on Israel, especially now that they've been beaten back so much. And while they could certainly try for the Lone Wolf tactic of inspiring individuals within Israel to launch small terror attacks, the majority of Muslims within Israeli borders who would be willing to do so are already loyal to Hamas or the PLO.
Also, Israeli counter-terrorism is pretty top notch. I'd think they'd be experiencing frequent waves of car bombs, IED's and mass shootings otherwise, like Pakistan has been.
edit on 25-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

ISIS is not out to hound Israel, it's out to create an Islamic caliphate across existing Muslim dominated land. Why antagonise someone who will slap you back?

While you're correct, I think it is deeper.

Israel operates like an American built country (which they are).

Utilize your enemy.

Professor Efraim Inbar, the director of the BESA Center, an Israeli academic think tank that has carried out studies for the Israeli government and NATO, says that Islamist terrorists can serve a strategic purpose for Western interests in the region.

RT

While the source isn't the best, it wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

ISIS loves to claim credit for anything terror related if nobody else does first. Unless the attack is a tactical or political nightmare. Even ISIS knows when to keep their mouth shut if someone else has done something likely to get a rapid and very lethal response from the target nation.
edit on 25-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

It is strange that Isis rarely attacks Israel.

Why is it strange?

Israel is content to let the Muslims fight each other. While they are doing that, they are not targeting Israel. Israel gets a peace because everyone (essentially) the Muslim world is fighting it out in Syria - Iran, Turkey and the Gulf States.

Right, it is just a coincidence that ISIS is attacking Israel's enemies and paving the way for the Greater Israel Project.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

ISIS would very much like to destroy Israel, as would Iran, Syria, and a few others. But ISIS also knows that, while they were strong enough to recruit members and take advantage of the relative chaos and instability in Syria and Iraq, they are no where near strong enough to try and take action against a stable, experienced and well equipped military force like the IDF. It's the same reason they didn't try to challenge the Shiite regime of Iran. Nor the wahabists in Saudi Arabia. They would have been utterly and quickly crushed. Maybe not the entire organization, but the entire force they engaged them with would have been captured, killed or they would have abandoned the fight.
ISIS doesn't engage in a conflict voluntarily if they don't see an easier path to victory than defeat.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is almost like the 6 day war never ended. Just a subtle change in that one of the players found another group to do their dirty work so they wouldn't be so visible.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

To some degree, I think all sides have done that.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join