It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a Racist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

when you yourself said the fact of your not being racist is itself a learned behaviour...Cant play both sides of the fence, bud

I have not said 'being racist is itself a learned behaviour'. That is what you have taken from what you think I have said.

Read it again please Lucid.

We are not born racist, we learn it from somewhere within our society.

P

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Umm. Two things. Firstly in the quote i mentioned of you i was refferring to when you brought up your background as an example amd you said you learned not to be racist.in going back to your post for specific example it appears i infact did read you wrong because you said

I was not taught to be racist and so, I never learned how to go about it.

However i woukd see that as rather you learning not to be racist by merit of inclusion and diversity rather than not being taught to be racist.

Perhaps op can answer this with a question, were you ever raised in a culture to where you were submerged in heavy race hate? Or are these thoughts of racism completely out of the blue?

Second... Im Really trying here but... I simply can not help but see a contradiction between this

I have not said being racist is itself a learned behaviour'. 

And this

We are not born racist, we learn it from somewhere within our society

edit on 25-6-2017 by LucidWarrior because: Help but

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Good thread I identify with a lot of what you wrote and when I get those thoughts I think about and remember one of my best friends who was of Jamaican parentage and the people I have prejudged and then impressed me and shown me incredible levels of kindness. Definitely snaps me back into being a human being again. Just got to work on how I deal with women now still not worked them out

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

And bit like the hen or egg? Asking what was first?

Are we born racist or not, is what it's about, not?

edit on 25-6-2017 by Peeple because: Clara

The answer has to be a decisive
Possibly, it entirely depends on the situation, the parents and their genes, how good the birth goes (pregnancy means always a risk) , what the mother did and consumed during pregnancy, environmental (as a lot of damage was done by the generation before us and before the ones before and... nature in general discovers not so fast if you look at the bigger "system cycles" like oil, stone, sand, minerals, ... they're recovering very slow and are essential for "this"(*finger circling above my head) our society, the huge pile of trash we produce and absurdly call "consumer-culture" ha! Culture your greed and the child in you....
And people buy it.
Mad world....

edit on 25-6-2017 by Peeple because: Add

edit on 25-6-2017 by Peeple because: 2nd thoughts

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I understand, perhaps too many negatives. I will try again.

I have not said

being racist is itself a learned behaviour'.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
People seem to expect white South Africans to be very racist.I never was.My family were poor whites so we got looked down on all the time.I never had a feeling of superiority because of my skin colour,even growing up in apartheid South Africa.I was taught by my adoptive mother,something just as effed up as racism-that our family were less than others because we were so poor-and her automatic respect for and trust of Anybody as long as they were fairly wealthy,made me gag,even as a kid.This was a woman who idolised the Rothschild family.To her,wealth automatically transferred decency,honesty,all things good and admirable.Even as a kiddie i knew that was a crock.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

But that has to be exhausting. No roots and smarter than the mother?
How did you deal with that?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

You're trying and that counts for a lot.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I just left her to her strange effed up ideas about life-and she had Many,she was very mentally unstable and extremely abusive too. I knew i'd be outa there and never look back when i was a bit older,so i just let her spew her crazy.I always felt out of place,in that prim+proper Stepford Wives and super-religious type of society back then,i felt out of place among the entire human race,quite frankly,maybe because i've been an abductee since very small child,and so much weirdness and high strange in my life.So i just figured this too shall pass away

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

From one alien to another:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Don't know, never been racist. I pretty much hate all people equally unless they give me a reason to hate them a little less or more. Just the way it is.
edit on 25-6-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

What I have noticed, and I traveled a lot of places,and met folks from all walks of life from all over the globe, the one constant they all share is not to be judged by the worst among them..if we can remember that, then as a whole it can cut back on a lot of Isms.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam

It's people that moderate my racism, it's people that make me ashamed enough of it to squash it.

Who do you think about? Who helps you squash the ugly?

The fact that racist people tend to be uninformed, inclusive to one type of people and not well traveled. I have had white women east of the Mississippi, a Swiss and Asian woman in Germany, Native American, black, hispanic and white west of the Mississippi. People in general do not moderate my racism as much as women in particular. I may have gotten my fair share in the past, but I sure as hell didn't discriminate.

Regardless of your skin color or nationality, if you are racist against others who are not like you, chances are you're not that bright and you need to see more of the world. I don't mean to be condescending, but travelling really does educate you to other cultures and makes you see that geography is what makes us all a little different from each other. Different in terms of localized customs, practices and trains of thought. Other than that, we're all the same. We all bleed red. We all feel the same emotions for the same reasons.

Periodically, I talk to friends and family in my hometown. Good people who, basically, have been in that area their entire lives. Good people with good hearts who, because of their geographically inclusive life, don't understand people the way I do. But that's understandable. How can you know something you've never experienced? They are not racist simply because they don't understand others that well. Their good nature saves them from that. But if they were hateful people.......that's where the racism comes from I believe. Misunderstandings married to hate.

edit on 25-6-2017 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I think that was a very honest post. We're all capable of that at times and it takes courage to look at the parts of ourselves we don't like and view them objectively.

For the record I don't think you're racist or a bad guy at all, just more willing to be open than most about the things about ourselves that scare us. We all have them.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
We are tribal as humans. Whether it be ethnicity, political ideology, religion, nationality or favorite sports team, we naturally place ourselves into tribes. What makes us civilized is not hating or harming members of the opposite tribe. There are many stereotypes which are accurate pertaining to certain tribes as a whole but not everyone in a particular tribe meets the criteria of the prejudices caused by these stereotypes. We also have situations where two or more opposing tribes form another tribe, which opposes another. For instance, a KKK member, a La Raza member, a Black Lives Member & a Muslim Brotherhood member may unite to root for the same sports team against another sports team.

Where this starts to get ridiculous is when certain tribes insist that other tribes are stealing ideas from them, like with the idea of cultural appropriation. People say white people are not allowed to make burritos or are not allowed to weave their hair. What if white people said minorities were not allowed to use electricity, or ride bikes, or drive cars, or fly in planes because of cultural appropriation?

Now being white alone is considered racist. It's also considered racist to drink milk because it's white, racist to drive a white car & racist to use white or brown paper bags.

The term racist is becoming meaningless. What we should be concerned with is the hate & violence towards other groups, regardless of which tribe it comes from.
edit on 25-6-2017 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Each race has its good and bad.
I yearn for the day when we can drop racist insults,
And replace them with one word to describe the trashy ones regardless of their race.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Poverty and socialization that goes with that environment is like an illness, it affects the brain and people make bad decisions.

Poverty and the wiring that comes with it are the problem, not the race of the people experiencing it.

Just a thought. You are brave to speak of this and I applaud you in your effor to overcome tribal programming.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Oops! Double post.
edit on 25-6-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

But... You did... When you said

We are not born racist, we learn it from somewhere within our society 

But in either case i feel this subtopic isnt very important to the topic of how to get rid of it or overcome it. Because learned or automatic the methods of combating this problem remain the same.

I just feel like you could have still been racist even givem your background but you didnt have the predisposition, just like someone cam grow up in the kkk and love colored people. Or the reverse can happen to a kkk member can grow to appreciate cultural diversity or someone else can grow to become racist.

Or as i believe the case to be with op, he is not racist but his mind is plying him with these thoughts, and the fact of whether these thoughts were learned or not doesnt change the fact that they are habitual and dont go away without a fight. Which could be ingrained or instinctual.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The thing about racism is it's a one-size-fits-all snarl word.

It's true to say that Hitler was a racist, and it's also true to use that word to describe a WWII veteran who always checks his change when he goes to a local Asian-run store.

And that's simply ridiculous.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join