It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a Racist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

who really cares tho, your most likely very insignificant in the scheme of things. the only problems are things like the police believing you before they believe a person of color. all the racist people ive come across seem to have lots of personal issues so they project their failure onto others.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I dont there are more important things in life.

How wonderful. This "short fall" that I notice in myself, I find it more than a little troubling. Though I confess that I take some comfort in moderating it based on calling into recollection others I've know.

I can guarantee you're NOT

lol . . . maybe not. I am definitely "out classed' though, whatever our age differences may be.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If I misinterpreted your meaning I apologise. I have many faults but vindictiveness is not one of them. You are clearly a noble person. My very best wishes to you also.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

who really cares tho, your most likely very insignificant in the scheme of things. the only problems are things like the police believing you before they believe a person of color. all the racist people ive come across seem to have lots of personal issues so they project their failure onto others.

Of course you're right. My "issues" in dealing with "racism" aren't going to be on par with "dealing with racism" among those that are of the race in question, at least not usually, or in those situations that readily come to mind.

But, is it productive to denigrate any query that doesn't rise to level of the most significant level in regards to the issue at hand? I think not. My personal "feelings" about how someone of color perceives/deals with an issue of prejudice are perhaps correctly relegated to a secondary, or maybe even tertiary significance, but my feelings as a White person and my perceptions/manner of dealing with an issue in a manner that is essentially "white", and correctly "white'" can not so easily e dismissed or discounted.

So, tell me, are you immune to racial prejudices, or if not, how do you deal with them?

edit on 25-6-2017 by imwilliam because: spellin and other awkwardness, oh why oh why is youth wasted upon the young?????

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

If I misinterpreted your meaning I apologise. I have many faults but vindictiveness is not one of them

Your contributions are always welcome and worthy of more than a modicum of consideration.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I very much appreciate your kind sentiments.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I'll be the last one to diminish the value of sentiments, but none the less, your thoughts are much more than that. It's the positions contrary to our own, and those that hold them, that make ATS worthwhile.

At least those positions that are reasonably held.

Cultural, there are many I owe a thanks to here on ATS, let me start by thanking you.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Cheers to that. Race, culture, lifestyle, religion and heritage have all been intertwined. Being human and having a mind (not always fully under my control), upon meeting someone you notice things. Skin, hair and eye colors. Height and weight. How they dress as well mannerisms. All these things speak to our bias and prejudice before words are spoken.

In my own beliefs I don't think anyone sees past these things. Each of our own journey through life has shaped that. I applaud and commend anyone who can even thought I don't know of a way to prove it could be true. It takes the extra thought to overcome bias and prejudice that has molded thoughts.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Mr. William.

Do you see what you have done?
This kind of honesty is not expected!

I's so easy for us to point, and call something racist.
But how, you ask, do we mediate our own inside level of racism, whatever that may be? Tribalists?

Feel the tribal vibe.
Treat everyone with gentle kindness, until they abuse it.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I'm a club swinging orge, nothing delicate or sensitive about me.

But I like gentle, I like the notion of not hurting people that don't have it coming.

God Bless you Nothin

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I made a thread, about a yr or so back, telling of an encounter I had with a dude from somewhere down south, travelling with a group of Europeans, on a train in Japan, he spoke with a non discript accent although I couldn't place where in the states, every one was having good laughs and conversations, but finally I pushed him as to where he was from in the states.

He finally gave in, forgot which state, but it was down south, born and raised, then I pushed why the non southern accent, he said when meeting folks from the east, like NY he noticed the min he opened his mouth, there was some hesitation, even if it's only a split second but he knew he was being judged simply by his accent.

I asked myself if I was ever guilty of that, and lo and behold he spoke truth,

I have no problem with "race" or skin variations , all my life my friends and fam have been multi hued, but I remembered a white person with a southern accent was off putting, I assumed the worst, if even for a second, after sizing them up first maybe OK, and don't get me wrong it's not like NYC don't have it's share of Racist assholes, but I had never sized them up automatically, since then, I kept myself in check.
Lesson is pre judging people you don't know is never a good thing.
Sorry for the long post.

edit on 25-6-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

You need to learn the definition of racism if this is what you consider racist. You just don't like lazy people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions or lack of action.

There are plenty of lazy, free-loading, excuse making white people that can easily fit the narrative you described in your post.

I don't care what color you are. If you are lazy and always play the victim card then in my book you are worthless to society and should be banished to an island to live with other lazy victims of the world.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Racism is taught.

Racists learn to be racist by their society.

It is however, difficult to re-educate adults to a different societal norm if it goes against what they learned as children.

The belief in racism is very similar to a person's religious beliefs. They are very difficult to change ... but the individual can change if they are open to the change.

P

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Salutations Spider,

This is part of what I'm trying to get at with this thread. That racism is tricky, and most productively realized on an individual level.

Yeah, I'm fighting it. You are too, and it seems sincerely so. I salute you. More than I ever have in the past, I'm fighting racism in myself, but so what? I'm living in a poor neighborhood full of non owner occupied housing. I have to make allowances for that . . . if I'm going to generalize my observations. Or I could choose to just be wrong, something I'm not willing to do.

To you Spider, all I have to say is, keep fighting the good fight.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Racism is taught.

Pheonix, I'm watching you're thoughts with particular care, I could learn a lot from you. But in this case, I think racism in the default.

Your exposure inoculated you, no?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

We all have our crosses to carry imwiliam..

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

I used to race but as I have aged, I have left that behind for more sedentary pastimes.

I have enjoyed watching the Americas Cup races but I really don't care who wins. It's just spectacular watching them boats rise out of the water and really move!

What do you race?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

lol . . . I still work. So that aside? I'm looking for something that blooms at least twice a year. I'm limited as to space

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Hello william. I would first and foremost like to applaud you for this thread, for what it takes of you to recognize a part of yourself you do not like which arises outside of your control and to fight it.

I do agree with your sentiments about racism being more of a tribal thing, something that 'kicks in' if you will, because its all about differences and when were angry or upset the biggest and easiest differemce to spot is volor because its immediate.

I am not a racist, i cannot tell you how to fight racism. But. I know the struggle you describe very, very well. It is the struggle of humanity, in a sense, the struggling against the vain, baser instincts that plague us and keep us in ignorance.

Im not a racist but i am an asshole, too good with words for my own good, and a horrible friend. I am lazy and inconsiderate and am prone to being my best the second or even third time around, but usually more times than that when its too late.

I fight these things. I fight these parts of me because i do not want these impurities. I struggle with them every day and they cause me severe depression, because i dont have an easy fix like thinking of specific people of color who remind me that its not racism its just irrational difference exxageration and fear. I have to fight my irrationality on a more visceral level and it kicks my ass hahaha.

I cant tell you anything more than what youve already expressed in your op. These thoughts happen automatically, and as soon as you become aware of them you dislike them and disidentify with them and fight to quash them. Thats all you can do.

Something others have kind of touched on is that you can also in these moments instead of fighting to see specific people of color that remind you of the irrationality of these thoughts, instead focus on higher rationality that escapes the fight: the fact that we are all human.

Because the fight may never end. You may have to quash these thoughts every day for the rest of your life. Be thankful yours are usually just thoughts and dont spill over and affect your life and others' as frequently as mine do. But there is another option between giving up and fighting, which is what nothin was getting at, stepping outside of the fight against the reacionary thoughts and or feelings of racistness and into the effort of considering the human race as kindly as you can

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
a reply to: pheonix358

Racism is taught.

Pheonix, I'm watching you're thoughts with particular care, I could learn a lot from you. But in this case, I think racism in the default.

Your exposure inoculated you, no?

What exposure?

There was practically no racism at my high school. It was just not there.

Racism is very definitely a learned response.

Acknowledge the differences you find in your society ... and celebrate them!

I remember my first meal with a family from Vietnam and this was just after that stupid war was over. All of my friends were asking all sorts of questions. The Vietnamese cooked the meal. It was fascinating! I learnt so much about their culture.

The night went both ways as they asked what for them, were difficult things to understand about our culture.

It was awesome.

It is just a different frame of mind and yes, it is learned.

P

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join