It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Not Ever Mistake Kindness For Weakness!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I got fooled by a crook...should have seen it coming and I'm pissed that I let my guard down!

But....I'm not a fool.

I was too generous or kind to a friend of a relative...I felt bad for this person because they were homeless and had been sleeping in their car.

I opened my home to this person and they paid me back by stealing from me.

I in turn tricked them (quite brilliantly) into admitting to the theft.

I was hoping they would be arrested yesterday because they would be stuck in jail over the weekend.

Doesn't matter when it happens....i just hope they aren't allowed to plea down from the multiple felonies they are being charged with.

The sad thing... I would have given them what they stole from me if they asked.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

People like this are the reason I am unwilling to help those I don't know fairly well. This person needs to be punished harshly for taking advantage of your kindness.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That hurts I know. Good on ya' for being willing to help.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Al so don't be an unintentional bully and mistake weakness for kindness.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It's good you turned the person in. Maybe they will learn not to do that kind of stuff again. If you let it go, they would keep stealing from people. Sometimes it is best to stick them into jail. It is bad when you try to help someone out and they take advantage of it. They are the ones who are wrong, not you. That person should have appreciated your help and helped to protect your property while they were there, they need to go to jail. There are some good homeless people out there, down on their luck but still honest and sincere.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That sucks that it happened to you. And i can understand the trepidation in helping others out in the future. Please remember this, not everyone does that. I have been a volunteer with a homeless outreach program for about 3 years now. Yes i have had my bed experience's but for every bad there are 20 great ones. I have learned a lot from them and hope they have learned from me.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The sad thing... I would have given them what they stole from me if they asked.

Some humans just don't get this concept - I too give a lot more than I care to take, consequently I feel I'm blessed, so I give more (usually lending folks my skill-set around their homes) but also the little things like lifts to the airport or bbsitting.

Pride comes before the fall - there is nothing more genuine than a man humbled by poverty and asking for help, there is also nothing wrong with being frank and assertive from the outset that exploiting one's generosity won't be tolerated and that you will be monitoring things until you naturally don't monitor them anymore.

If it sounds like I've been through your situation, you'd be correct, except in my instance I took matters into my own hands, retrieved what was mine, got a confession and apology and now he has been disowned by his family as a consequence of his actions, I however, still catch up with him weekly at the pub, where he shouts me beers.

Every situation is different, mine warranted forgiveness due to many various circumstances, his family however have not been so forgiving.

Karma.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

It's a hard lesson to learn, i experienced my first lesson years ago. After a while you stop trusting people the way you'd like to, which is unfortunate.

Even more so when it's someone in need such as the people you tried helping, who take advantage of the kindness you show them.

edit on 24-6-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Go to jail? šŸ¤”

Without knowing the details to this story , I would say jail is a little severe for someone obviously down on their luck. Sometimes kindness matters when a person needs it most , especially in forgiving them if they do seem repentant for seriously screwing up in a moment of desperation.

Not saying the thiefs shouldn't be accountable,but if you would have given them what they stole had they asked... why get all militant and charge them?

Just my take on the situation from the few facts you threw out there.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire

It's a hard lesson to learn, i experienced my first lesson years ago. After a while you stop trusting people the way you'd like to, which is unfortunate.

Even more so when it's someone in need such as the people you tried helping, who take advantage of the kindness you show them.

I've also learned many lessons by trying to help people out in different ways, and I've been used in the process.

There is an old saying that " no good deed goes unpunished " .. and it feels so true at times.
But through these lessons I believe my discernment for seeing what is truly the best way to handle certain situations that pop up, has become much keener.

I love to help others, but no one likes feeling used. I've had roomates friends steal from my closet when I was younger , and have seemed to deal with stolen items for most of my life in different circumstances.

I try to forgive as much as possible, but I don't forget easily and certain people are not welcome in my home.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There are two things I can't stand. A liar and/or thief. What gets me about a thief is that more than likely they're going to steal something you would have given them had they asked. I have said many times, and I mean it, I would come closer to forgiving someone for stealing my car than I would if they stole $20 from me. Sound "crazy"? Think about it. It's a matter of principle. I wouldn't give someone my car if asked, I would give someone $20. No reason to steal something so miniscule. However, more often than not, that'sā€‹ what it is, something petty. Can't be excused.

I dislike a liar even more than a thief, but that's a whole other topic.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've had so much stolen from me, and the people who have taken from me time and time again are welfare funded adult children who never learned the value of their own time.

What bothers me most is the lack of reprimand. Most of the things I've lost to Petty thieves could never be proven- yet there's no way that the people in their lives didn't know.
If I caught a loved one stealing the kinds of things I've lost, I'd report them. Or hit them.
I'm quite happy that I've managed to move away from the city- living next to drug addicts and thieves has provided me nothing more than a perspective on life.
People are not to be trusted.
Do not steal from them, do not take advantage of them, do not scam them.

Most of all, stay out of their business.
If you're not invited, go the # away.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

The hardest thing to do is to forgive, because you never forget.

When i'm lied to in matters of importance, now i would simply kick that person to the curb and carry on. There is no reason to continue welcoming the unwelcome. You can help others, but to the point where you're being walked over and abused, That's where i draw the line.
edit on 25-6-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

They wont see jailtime....

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I, unfortunately, had to cut my younger brother out of my life for many years for the same reason. I never got the police involved, but I disowned him and forbade him from coming to my house or getting in my vehicle. I only interacted with him at family events, like holidays or a funeral.
I certainly understand how you feel, and your anger. I felt it too. I also felt hurt and betrayed, being that he is my brother. And we have always valued and helped each other. Family first, and Family is what you still have when you have nothing else. That's how we were raised.
For several years, my brother had a bad problem with drug addiction. And mainly synthetic marijuana. That stuff just eats your soul, and your brain.

Happily, he has been clean for a couple of years now, and is again the brother that I had missed for so long. And he's done his best to make up for the wrongs he perpetrated against my wife and I.
But, like you, I would have given him the majority of what he stole from me, had he asked.

But he saw that weakness was not my failing when I had to kick him out during an ice storm one winter. Called a taxi, got the items he was trying to steal out of his bag, gave him $20, and told him he was no longer welcome in my life until I could trust him again. I was sooo p*ssed.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This person probably has a problem with drugs/alcohol as well huh?
Sad to see people throwing their lives away on that stuff...

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

It really is.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I, myself, threw away 7 years of my life to drugs. I've been clean for 7 years now, and have really excelled in this game we call life.
No matter how well things are going for me, i cant help but wonder were id be if I didn't throw away those years...
Reading the OP, i felt some of the anger/frustration of the author, because ive been in his position. Ive also been the thief... Sometimes i wrestle with the dilemma of if im a hypocrite or not, or maybe just a 'well rounded' individual with life experiences that almost all would choose to avoid...
Its upsetting to know that OP was one of the people who would help a person out who was down on their luck, but the thief probably has swayed them away from the thought of helping anyone else in the near future.
edit on 25/6/2017 by Brian4real because: Grammer

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

I almost died from a 2 drug overdose when I was 20. Morphine and coc aine, intravenous. I'm no stranger to the allure and destruction drugs surround themselves with.
I'm happy to hear you got free of that demon, as well.

I think that was why I was willing to give my brother so many chances, and welcome him back into my life with open arms when he got clean. I knew where he was.
edit on 25-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Thanks for all the replies. I should have provided more details.

My brother works with the girl who stole my wallet that had about 300$ as well as my I'd and credit cards and check card.

Initially I thought I had just misplaced it somewhere but, after 2 days of tearing my house apart looking for it, I started to retrace the last time I had it. It just so happened to be while she was around.

So, I texted her to see if she remembered seeing it... not accusing in anyway... just asking. She texted back saying she hadn't seen it. The next day, my brother called me and said she was acting strange at work around him and something didn't settle right.

The timing seemed suspicious so, this is how I tricked her into admitting to taking it.

I told her that I had a tech savvy friend that was able to track the micro chip in my credit card and she fell for it. Lol!!!!

Not very bright...she immediately admitted to it and then the excuses started. Ugh!!!

After she realized how pissed I was she tried to downplay the seriousness of what she had done. She honestly did not understand why I was so angry?????? I couldn't believe it!!

That's when I really got mad!!! I wouldn't have pressed charges if she had at least shown a little remorse but she had NONE!

I certainly didn't want to add to her bad situation but, her behavior after admitting to it was just too much.

To steal from me and lie about us is bad enough but, to truly not see how wrong she was was baffling.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join