It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wierd stuff in genesis.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
well i was reading genesis and in 1:26 it says that god says "let us create man in our image" who is us? i mean its strange to have one god that says something like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
When God says us I believe he’s referring to the Trinity, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
When God says us I believe he’s referring to the Trinity, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

But this was planning human creation so Jesus wasn't created yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Christians believe "God the Son" existed before he was made flesh as Jesus.

I believe it is a reference to the holy trinity. But it could just also be a sort of "royal we"

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
you should read the second chapter of genesis you think that part is strange. And the angels of the lord looked down upon the earth and they saw the daughters of man, And they saw the daughters of man were beutfull ,And the angels of the lord took wifes of the daughters of man,And had children from the daughters of man.
get a load out of that jesus wasent the first half god .

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one in the same.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There really is some weird stuff in Genesis! The scripture that I've always wondered about is this one:

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

I wonder what GIANTS he is talking about. Hmmmmm...........

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
God created Adam and Eve on the sixth day.

“And God said, let us make man in our image” “after our likeness”

And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every............Etc.

And in his own image he “Created Man”in his own image, in the image of God created he, him; “male and female” created him them.......

Confusing hum..... The reality is that, the male and female created on the sixth day of Creation were not Adam and Eve. The story belongs to a mythological tradition.

Remember the bible was a compilation of stories made into one book,

The first part of the bible stories were written in a time when people did worship various Gods, and many areas in the bible does talks in plural as if more than one God.

When Abraham left his home town he took his gods with him and his wive children and servants.

The main God was the God of war, “Jahweh” latter he became the one and only God.

When the bible was compiled most stories were change to fit one God in the first testament.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one in the same.

Hum......the trinity came with Christianity and the second testament, Until moses the ancient people of the bible were polytheistic.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

[God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one in the same.

I doubt there is 'the father, the son and the holy sprit' in the OT as Marg has said.. and Jesus was baptised- I assume to clense him from original sin [which imakes it confusing as Christening exists] which would make him half decended from Adam and Eve. If he always existed.. there would be little sacrifice in killing a god. The whole point was his humanity being sacrificed. It also brings up re-encarnation [becoming jesus] ..as far as I know that isn't a part of christianity.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Most of the creation stories were made/found during the babylonian exile.

Odd

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley The whole point was his humanity being sacrificed. It also brings up re-encarnation [becoming jesus] ..as far as I know that isn't a part of christianity.

Reincarnation played a heavy role in Christianity, until all references to it were purged from the Bible by a Roman emporer.

I think it was Justinian, but don't quote me on that.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Hum......the trinity came with Christianity and the second testament, Until moses the ancient people of the bible were polytheistic.

I can only give you my beliefs from a Christian perspective because I’m a Christian. We believe the God of the Old Testament and the New are the same God. He gave you free will to believe in what you like so I wish you well on your spiritual journey.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There are apparently two creation accounts, the Elohim account with the whole universe being made including man and woman, and the Yahwehist account where woman is made from mans rib and the fall and all that.

The thinking is that tis two very similar but ultaimately different traditional creation myths specific to different tribes of hebrews that was ultimately collected into one big story. The idea behind the eolhim account is that it did indeed involve mulitple gods or at least two, a male and female, although I've also heard of there being a female consort goddess for Yahweh himself too.

kinglizard
When God says us I believe he’s referring to the Trinity

Why would he tell the jews 'i am one god' but secretly tell them that he's a trinity? Also, why would they record it as 'us' if they didn't understand that it meant a plurality of some sort? How would a jew explain it at the time?
For my own part, I thought it allways meant 'us' as in god and the various orders of angels.

riley
But this was planning human creation so Jesus wasn't created yet

This of course gets into some of the great heresies and religious controversies amoung the early christian community. Was jesus present at creation, if yes how much, in flesh in spirit? What did 'enfleshment' (yeah, i like neologisms) was specific to the passion/story of the christ or was it irrelevant, why make jesus flesh if it didn't make a difference etc etc

blueange17

For my own part I take it that the hewbrews were reacting to the same things that many cultures around the world were when they said there used to be giants. In part it was a 'the golden ages of the past were bigger and better than anything now, with our puny lives and puny times' and, importantly, fossils of the megafauna that used to actually exist. Adrien Mayor made a rather convincing case that this was what was going on amoung the ancient greeks and romans and central asian scythians even. I'd expect every culture to react in a very similar manner reallly.

marg6043
The main God was the God of war, “Jahweh” latter he became the one and only God.

Intersting, I've never heard that it was a war god in particular. I don't recal the sumerians/urukians of 'abrams' homeland having an actual 'war god' as the greeks did. I was for a while under the impression that the god of one of the biblical traditions was supposed to have started off as a powerful mountain god.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
yea the stuff about the nephilim is rather strange and the parts where it mentions the garden of eden, i got some stuff id like to bring up but ill save it for later.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The study of the bible and its meaning has always been of interest by historians, religious and anybody interested in the stories and accounts.

I enjoy the bible in its pure base as a book of the accounts of the Jew’s history and blood line.

Christianity has made the bible their sole inspiration for believes, and sometimes disregarding the actual accounts of history.

And the bible becomes the only words of good and the teachings of Jesus. The commandments are seen as the law of God to man and the primary guides to social organization.

Once in a while is good to step aside and learn the bible in a more outside perspective following the historical accounts and believes of other civilizations that were also flourishing during the bible times.

The Books of Moses or the Pentateuch, (Greek work for the “five scrolls”) or (the Tora) were not even written by Moses this are the accounts of the Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. This books had as many as four different accounts of the time.

One source refer to the Hebrew God as Yahweh, another one refers to God as Elohim, the rest of the sources do not give a name to God because the belief that he could not be name.

This books makes’ references too more than one god in many instances due to the fact that the people of the time were worshipers of more than one god. Because the emphasis on monotheism, the scribes that compiled the bible books had to eliminate most of the references to or symbols of deities other than the Hebrew God, Yahweh.

Because the link to some of the main figures of the bible to Egyptian mythology, we see a lot of resemblance of the ancient bible accounts to be mixed.

The monotheism in the bible started with the Hebrews believes while they held many deities their main God was a fierce and all-powerful one that help through wars and conquers.

It wasn’t until Moses that only one creator and superior being was over all the others and the sole God to be worshiped.

Remember that the God of Moses has to overcome the God Baal for superiority, when it was at the time the main god of the Canaanite.

Even Solomon built temples to worship the many non-hebrew deities of his many wives.

Even the first Jeroboam first king of Israel after breaking from Judah, set up golden calves at cult sites, and build temples and shrines, Hebrews in the beginning had a hard time getting off the canaainites and Philistines influences.

Now this are historical accounts from a different perspective as the one in the bible. The whole christianity faith is base on the Christ in the new testament not the old.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It does mean the trinity.. because that is what makes us human... our many layers of conciousness... half of you merely recognize the first of the trinity .. the father.... being satan .. which is the doer... who does no matter good or bad...You might want to check out my previous posts on the trinity and other symbolisms...
The scripture you presented can be interpreted as looking into water our conciousness created an image of us in our likeness and we realized our existance so-to-speak, we created ourselves in a sense of speaking. although the continuous mystery would have to be who indeed manufactured all of us and all of this.. which is what we will figure out once we realize the rest of the puzzle..

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The trinity idea was thought up long after the bible was writen, and even longer after genesis would have been written. There would have been no concept of the holy trinity when genesis was written. The holy trinity was created by the church many, many years after Jesus died. This means that your excuse for the term 'us' being used is the holy trinity, means that the term 'us' was put there or edited in around 700 AD in order to make the trinity concept more believable.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
One thing I never understood...

How are Christians monotheistic when there's the Trinity? Never made much sense to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Man is composed of elements. Were 90 some odd percent water, and the rest elements. We are an example of an agreement between desire, and the elements. Something that God alone created. A negotaition.

All elements in the world touch. I am touching all of you reading this whether you realize it or not. Through the earth, through the air.

As with the elements cooperating in harmony to compose our bodies, so must we as individuals cooperate as a society. Harmony creates a symphony of life.....

Its what we do as a people that matters, and not the mechanics of what was. God is the gatekeeper of dimensions. The first dimension is life. Science is its own dimension with its own labels.

Life was the product negotiation of what wasnt, and became a miracle with free will. It gave all of the composition of the universe a chance to celebrate what was not. Enjoy.

Think about it.

Peace

[edit on 1-3-2005 by HIFIGUY]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join