It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Corps: Lawmakers Lay Groundwork for New Military Branch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The so called Space Corps is a congressional attempt to create a fifth service that will combine all of the Space Command assets under one command. They're not getting interstellar star ships, or Space Marines that will drop in from orbit wearing powered armor or anything else in any book.

Their entire mission will be the same as it is now. They will monitor potential adversary satellites, figure out ways to kill them, and track near earth space using the new Space Fence. The big difference is that they'll be under a new umbrella for a better budget and have their own seat on the JCS.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Spider879

If they are going to go this route, they should make it outside of the existing branches of the military. Make it it's own service. Not have it fall under the Dept. of the Air Force.

That way they can populate it from all the Services to get it started.

The Air Force obviously can provide personnel more knowledgeable about aircraft and propulsion systems.
The Navy has more experience operating in enclosed spaces ex. on ship, submarines would be similar to space stations.
Marines are the most cost effective expeditionary force obvious benefits to future space operations.
Army...I'm sure we can find something for them to do.

We saw this with the inception of air combat. Originally under the 'control' of the Army. As no gov't agency is inclined to give up power, control, etc., it took decades for an 'Air Force' to be formed, even then internal battles continued with the Air Force wanting control of 'airborne' assets, helicopters and the like.

It is the first step to an independent service, unless I miss my guess.
edit on 24-6-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
no interstellar

what about LEO and system wide.

dont want to edge in on CIA and NRO orbits, it might be a little busy.

JK america has no space assets.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The so called Space Corps is a congressional attempt to create a fifth service that will combine all of the Space Command assets under one command. They're not getting interstellar star ships, or Space Marines that will drop in from orbit wearing powered armor or anything else in any book.

Their entire mission will be the same as it is now. They will monitor potential adversary satellites, figure out ways to kill them, and track near earth space using the new Space Fence. The big difference is that they'll be under a new umbrella for a better budget and have their own seat on the JCS.

Awww you made that sound so epic at first

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
no interstellar

what about LEO and system wide.

dont want to edge in on CIA and NRO orbits, it might be a little busy.

JK america has no space assets.

America does have assetts,just not one that can be publicly admitted to.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

i was being sarcastic

i have seen non traditional craft with my own eyes so i know there is something out there, what agency owns them is anyone's guess

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

The Air Force keeps trying this. With unmanned aircraft coming to the fore, they are worried about having jobs as they are a one trick pony. "We fly, we fight" motto may soon be "We sit, we play video games with drones." The Navy has the better training to operate complex vessels with many crewmembers and the Air Force knows it.

Exactly on point. Just suggest a plane that is crewed by hundreds or thousands of people all working in sync protecting the craft, propelling the craft and accomplishing its mission.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

I've been cringing since I saw this story a few days ago. I knew exactly where it's going to go and so far, haven't been disappointed.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

i was being sarcastic

i have seen non traditional craft with my own eyes so i know there is something out there, what agency owns them is anyone's guess

Ahhh. We need sarcasm tags.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

The air force is very capable of training their staff for what they need done.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Haha moon bases haven't popped up yet.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

i know right, context gets lost very easily on the internet. I wonder if this new branch will have age limits, i'll be 33 in August but i'd enlist in the space corp.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Woody510

I've been cringing since I saw this story a few days ago. I knew exactly where it's going to go and so far, haven't been disappointed.

I know it's almost as crazy as all that breakaway civilizations and triangle craft dream-suckers some we're going on about a while back.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

The navy AND the air force should do it and they should call it star fleet.

How could they miss that?! Air navy space fleet = star fleet.

edit on 6 24 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Are they under funded yet?

Are there projects that are 40% over budget and 3 years behind schedule?

And are we so far behind the Russians or Chinese that we need to dump a crap load of money of we all die tomorrow?

When those happen this will truly be a new branch of the mil.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

a reply to: whywhynot

The air force is very capable of training their staff for what they need done.

Burger King is capable of training them too. What the Air Force is not capable of is providing people not only with training but more importantly decades of experience working complex systems with 100s or 1,000s of people on a vessel. The US Navy is the logical choice.
edit on 24-6-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

edit on 24-6-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Thank god we have people here to tell us all that anything we think we know is wrong, because no one ever leaks anything, and to bring up things years later.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
With links to org charts

And all the naval space jazz

www.public.navy.mil...

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Actually, with that reply, my point is fully made. Thank you. No need to sound imperious and dismissive about others theories when some have flown some pretty durn high themselves. Makes sense, no?

edit on 24-6-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join