It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

science publishing - open source or pay per view ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
like all branches of publishing - the internet is prooving a " troublesome beast " for science publishing

in particular journal articles [ as in peer review ]

the " traditional " approach of paper journals that libraries , accedemic insitutions and corporations subscribe to and hold in archives - is a dinasaor

unfortunatrly - the " new " model favoured by publishers - is if anything worse with per article rates ranging from £05 to £60 - no thats not a typo

yes - you can get wide ranging access at a far cheeper rate if you by in bulk or take yearly " subscrition " to the online versions of journals

but the price still spirals - if you are attempting to keep abreast of numerous feilds

now i dont condone piracy - but i hopes that the latest court case in this matter will spark a revolution

obligitory summary :

Elsevier [ a dutch science journal publisher - and one of the largest ] has sued Sci-Hub [ a website that offered free access to journal articles ] - ands won a- they have been granted $15 million [ wether they will see a cent - is another topic ] - but they were successfull in defending thier copyright claims - and have a legal precedent

source

now my opinion - like i say - i dont condone piracy - but the current model for access to scientific articles is < CENCORED >

science should be about the free market place of ideas - not making publishers money [ the authors of journal articles dont get paid ]

fortunatly - people like the finns are organishing a backlash - threatening to boycot the most ergergious offenders - unless a more sane pricing structure is agreed for journal access

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I read a real lot of science articles. When I am searching I find the ones that give you a teaser and want you to pay. I am not going to pay. But the information I learn from the little teaser usually gives me enough so I can find a free similar article. I think all government paid for articles, no matter what government pays for them, should be free for people to look at.

I have had access through others to a couple of paid articles through the years. I was disappointed, it seems that there is better info in many of the government funded research. It just takes multiple articles to find everything but guess what, the paid ones are the same way, you can't learn from a few research papers on a subject, you need to read many articles.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Ape, you sound like you know what your talking about, so I'm asking you for a favour.
I am the first person to design and utilize a drone for underground mine operations.
It's a confined inspections drone.
I have been asked by the mining association of Canada to write a technical paper and submit it for peer review.
I'm a mine engineer by trade, but truly a rough neck more than anything, that was able to turn his hobby into something much, much more.

I don't even know where to begin.

Do you have a recommendation for a good engaging tech paper, that I could look over to use as a base format to get mine going.
What I'm most interested in is the wording format.
Should it be third person, unbiased opinion.
Or should it read like a review?

I'm a bit out of my league here.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is further proof (if any was needed) that science is in the hands of greedy little whores.

Understand here ... the Authors who do the research and author the papers do not get money from these publishers.

To put it another way, the publishers do nothing other than receive articles for publication.

Now, science is infected with greed. The people who do the real work, get shafted every time.

P

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Research Gate is a good portal to search for papers. What kind of underground mine, potash or coal?

research gate

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ZaneDog

Thank you very much.
I've worked for a few different underground mines - silver, gold, platinum and palladium.
Currently at the palladium mine. Lac Des Iles mine to be exact.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I typed a search of 'drone for exploration' into the search engine there and had some hits.

Link

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ZaneDog

Ya drones for surface applications have been utilized for a few years now - mainly for photogrammetry.
However, my drones are for underground.
Www.uasinc.ca

Have a peep of youd like.
I'm hitting the hay for the night but willl check back in the morning.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I dunno about anyone here but I think everything should be open source and available to the public.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngelicIRage
I dunno about anyone here but I think everything should be open source and available to the public.

That is a lovely sentiment until Authors stop writing, Musicians stop playing, no more movies because they can't pay the bills.

But yeah, you want everything free because ... what?

P

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Real researchers publish on open platforms, the only thing putting their paper behind a paywall does is slow down development and propagation of their ideas.
edit on 24/6/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Dude I think they were talking about Science here, not music

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
This is further proof (if any was needed) that science is in the hands of greedy little whores.

Understand here ... the Authors who do the research and author the papers do not get money from these publishers.

To put it another way, the publishers do nothing other than receive articles for publication.

Now, science is infected with greed. The people who do the real work, get shafted every time.

P

Err...

It is the publishers who are infected with greed, not science.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I feel that the publishing rules are where the gatekeeping in science happens.

In principal science and the scientific method should be accessible to all and applicable to all things.

Yet at the level of what gets published and what gets seen you probably have the most bureaucracy and exclusive rules as to what is acceptable it is where the personal ego could get in the way of what is acceptable.

If there is an open source movement in science I would like to take a look at it because it seems the current system is very rigged and exclusive.

new topics

top topics

join