It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so the used vehicle buying process is a nightmare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Buy from a dealership that offers a warranty. You will thank yourself in the long run.
Anything and everything that possibly can, will go wrong with a used vehicle.
You get the piece of mind knowing that your investment is protected.

I got my newest car -2016 fusion as used because it had 28 Km's on it.
Manufacturers warrenty till 60,000 km or 5 years, then after that a life time warranty from the dealership. only stipulation is, I have to have my oil changes there.
At $40 an oil change that's damn near $20 cheaper than quick lube or the like express lube places.

Buy from an established dealership. Finance it you have to. With a decent down payment you will be saving yourself a huge headache down the road.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

What about auctions, do you know anybody who can help with that?

Craigslist car shopping is horrible, what state are you in? Sometimes bordering states can offer better deals too.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Depending on where you live, going to a dealer might be a better option. Some places, they charge way too much, but others, you can get a good vehicle. Smaller towns tend to be better. For any vehicle, do the research, learn the book value, and if it's overpriced, tell them so, and don't go look unless they are willing to bring down the asking price. We bought one from an individual that was a good deal, and one from a dealer, same way, but it can take some time. Waiting fr the right one, and being patient, helps! Again, that research is vital!! Some sellers will BS, too, about details, claiming this or that makes the cost higher. The Kelly Blue Book online, though, has options for all sorts of things, so you can know for certain. Beware, too, of scammers on Craigslist and other places. One I saw (and no, we didn't fall for it), the woman was claiming the car was in another state, and would be shipped AFTER she was paid, through an "ebay option". Ebay doesn't handle such things, EVER. If you can't see the vehicle, assume it's a lie. Be careful, too, about safety, and if you know someone who can go along, who knows even a little about cars, so much the better.

Hope you can locate the right one for you before too long. Being flexible about make and model can help.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I wish you lived near me. There's a dealer here who does used cars, but doesn't try to jack up the prices. He has the techs go over them before he'll buy them, to make sure there's not too much wrong. If they're basically good cars, he buys them, fixes them and sells them for a small profit. It's a small side business he does, for the folks who just can't afford a new one. He doesn't lose money, 'cause he's selling the sh** out of new cars around here. Everyone within 50 miles buys from him, because he doesn't try to make a killing on each one. High volume Lower prices = $$$$$$$

We have a dealer where we live that's good, too. We wen in looking for a car in a price range, and he had quite a few. Several, he flat out said to us, "You don't want that car.", and said what was wrong with it. Very honest, that one! They aren't all like that, though.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
How about buying a domestic car?
They are jacking up the price just because it's a BMW or Audi and they think it's gold.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Did You look at VW I have a Golf GTI Turbo and it is by far the funnest car I've ever driven and I got to drive a bunch of police cars (Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) and some cool cars that were confiscated. I had a sweet Pearl Wh. Caddy DeVille when I was working Dope but the VW is even funner..

The 2017 Golf GTI is at $22k.

Before I drove through an Eucalyptus tree back in 1995, I drove a BMW 325 but this VW is funner and the VW Passat was actually a nicer car than the BMW and it doesn't cost $600 when the instrument lights start blinking..

Seconded, since you mentioned Audi in the OP. Try a VW Tiguan SEL or Passat.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
LOL,yes I too have been looking for a used 4 cyl,my truck sucks gas in the city,I find it amusing people with no mechanical knowledge,telling you how to fix a car,or fake pics,when you get there looks like different car,auto auctions are even shakier,when I was a kid and you sold a lemon,be ready for some form of retaliation

(post by autoworldjapan removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I was looking the other day at the used car situation and you are right, they are way too overpriced and who knows what parts were replaced or not? A nightmare scenario? At least with my car I know where I stand and if the mechanic tells me it is worth fixing for another $2000 then so be it. But when I am absolutely forced to buy another car, it will be a new one because at least there is a long-term warranty.
edit on 14CDT09America/Chicago05290930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join