It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so the used vehicle buying process is a nightmare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
been through it lately?
im pretty frustrated with the whole deal

been looking around. pretty wide open to what i want.
was leaning towards a bmw 3 or 5 series. not happening.

checked out a couple audi's

saab 9.3 convertible

nightmare with all of it

whenever i sell a used car i ask for a fair price. basically book value unless i am tacking a little extra on cause of some premium #

i am seeing people constantly asking far over book. like 2 grand over.
cars with crazy high miles.

another thing that is frustrated is when you ask on the phone if it is mechanically sound and whats wrong. they say nothing but when you get there all kinds of # is wrong.

or the ad says great condition. nothing wrong and 2 lines down all the # that is wrong with it.

very discouraged.

ive been looking on craigslist. offer up. facebook marketplace. getting the same results with all of it.
major bummer

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Go to a certified pre owned dealer. They go over the cars, fix what's wrong and you get a good vehicle, without all the headaches.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Go to a certified pre owned dealer. They go over the cars, fix what's wrong and you get a good vehicle, without all the headaches.

then youre paying way over book.
every now and then you can score i suppose

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It is easy if you plan it out. Private sellers have no obligation to nothing, very risky. I would look 200 miles radius of home, look at good rep or high end lots, they clean, service and most places give some warranties or buyback guarantee. Clean good condition beemers are all over. I used the Internet and phone, picked the color and miles, paid a fair market price and drive the car smiling. Never limit your market or source, be flexible and patient, and work the deal, be informed and stand your ground on limits....

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I wish you lived near me. There's a dealer here who does used cars, but doesn't try to jack up the prices. He has the techs go over them before he'll buy them, to make sure there's not too much wrong. If they're basically good cars, he buys them, fixes them and sells them for a small profit. It's a small side business he does, for the folks who just can't afford a new one. He doesn't lose money, 'cause he's selling the sh** out of new cars around here. Everyone within 50 miles buys from him, because he doesn't try to make a killing on each one. High volume Lower prices = $$$$$$$

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I am one of the sick individuals who enjoys screwing over the used car dealers. I get taken to help people buy their cars all the time and I enjoy the challenge.

Honestly, the used car dealerships do try to take advantage of people. If you know their tricks you can come out of the experience with a good car for a better than average price for your area.

In the last two months I have helped my daughter and one of her friends get used vehicles. My daughter came out amazed at all their dirty tricks.

It feels good to help people beat the dealerships.

edit on 2017/6/23 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Did You look at VW I have a Golf GTI Turbo and it is by far the funnest car I've ever driven and I got to drive a bunch of police cars (Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) and some cool cars that were confiscated. I had a sweet Pearl Wh. Caddy DeVille when I was working Dope but the VW is even funner..

The 2017 Golf GTI is at $22k.

Before I drove through an Eucalyptus tree back in 1995, I drove a BMW 325 but this VW is funner and the VW Passat was actually a nicer car than the BMW and it doesn't cost $600 when the instrument lights start blinking..

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

that would be nice.
market kind of sucks around here

to be fair i think a major problem is me. i do not like to negotiate. i dont feel comfortable doing it and i tend to feel like a jerk if i offer then way less than what they are asking even though they are 2k high.

i dont low ball people though. if a car books at 4 grand and they are asking 4600 for example i will pay it if i like the car. just dont like to negotiate.

when they are asking 2k over book i have to negotiate a bit and it makes me very uncomfortable.

i dont raise prices like that when i sell.
i price my cars at book and the first person that comes with it gets it. fair for everyone

maybe even a touch less but not putting myself in a deep hole

its just discouraging

my father in law has a v12 that even he is jacking up. its a cherry. worth about 9k but wants 14 for it

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You should start a thread about that. What to look for, where to look, etc.
I'd bet there are quite a few who'd benefit.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Did You look at VW I have a Golf GTI Turbo and it is by far the funnest car I've ever driven and I got to drive a bunch of police cars (Crown Victoria Police Interceptor) and some cool cars that were confiscated. I had a sweet Pearl Wh. Caddy DeVille when I was working Dope but the VW is even funner..

The 2017 Golf GTI is at $22k.

Before I drove through an Eucalyptus tree back in 1995, I drove a BMW 325 but this VW is funner and the VW Passat was actually a nicer car than the BMW and it doesn't cost $600 when the instrument lights start blinking..

not new but i was looking at a jetta turbo. was looking at a mini with a supercharger.
just really wanted a bmw this time around.

i dont need any of these cars. just saved a bit and wanted to do it.
i only drive about 8 miles a day though. im going to look at a v6 mustang convertible tomorrow. this dude actually sounded pretty cool. said he is open to negotiate. car looks clean. it is local.
i really was not interest in that but if i buy it i will still have several thousand. i can dump my work car for a grand and add that to it then go look at the 82fxr i have my eye on

i just had it in my head i was going to get a nice ride but in looking i am kind of over it.
i dont need it. just wanted it

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Metallicus

You should start a thread about that. What to look for, where to look, etc.
I'd bet there are quite a few who'd benefit.

i can tell you some # for sure
i worked at a dealership in 2000-2001 and i hated it. some guys loved it but i hated it. didnt like their bull# tactics they wanted us to use. didnt like the game. felt bad hitting people low on their trades.
i was not a good salesman.
most of my deals were 100 minimum commissions.

theyre dirty bastards

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I think the problem is, people want to include what they've put into it. Maybe a new alternator, so they wanna add $150, or they got it painted, so they want to add that. They don't understand that no matter what they did, the car is not worth more than Blue Book. Oh, I'd pay a bit more for a new paint job, but not 2k more. That's why Blue Book has price ranges for them. A cherry car is worth a bit more than a beater of the same model, but folks wanna just keep adding more.
Greedy little bastards ain't they?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

youre right.
i put a new computer in my pt last year. it was a grand.
dont mean when i sell it i can recoup that money

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Oh, I know. I do all the repairs on my truck, my son's car, my daughter's girlfriend's car and folks get me to look at used ones too. I was just tryin' to give M a thread idea. Beats the hell outta another one about politics. Maybe YOU should do one about the BS the dealer tried to get you to do.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

For several cars, we have used Japanesevehicles.com. See, the thing is that Japan wants their citizens to mostly drive new cars. Thus, their yearly registration gets more and more prohibitive, to the point where a five-year-old car is almost worthless in Japan, but still a decent ride in most of the rest of the world. The company makes a bit off the shipping. They truthfully represent (imo) the state of their cars. They show photos on all sides and even underneath and of the engine.

I have no skin in this game. I'm a happy customer. For us, the shipping has been much more than the base cost of the car. Selah.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Oh, I have heard good things about those! Quick off the line, good top speed and handles like a gocart in the corners. And pretty good gas mileage to boot.
Jeremy Clarkson from The Grand Tour says they're one of the best he's ever driven and even bought one himself.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

we can talk about it here

my worst one was

congratulations david64 we got you financed at 8% and you sign the paper at 8 when in reality the bank bought the deal at 6% and the dealership keeps those 2 points.
happened a lot

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I hear ya!

I`m always looking for used vehicles to buy cheap,repair and resell (and by always I mean at least once a day) I check the craigslist list ads for all used vehicles for sale by private owners within 100 miles of my location.

here`s a few tips to help you eliminate a lot of the choices that are for sale.
1) all fords made within the last 20 years have crappy defective transmissions.
2) all cadillacs and other vehicles with the northstar engine are JUNK.
3)all dodge durangos have crappy defective transmissions.
4) never buy a used vehicle from a dealer, you`re just buying a vehicle that they got from a private individual and added on a couple thousand dollars to the price.

I could go on and on but lets get to the point, the ONLY used vehicles worth buying are most chevy`s, most nissans and some VW`s, everything else is junk that is on the verge of having major problems.

my favorite ads are the ones where the people tell you how much they paid for the new rims and tires and the new stereo system with Bluetooth and at the bottom of the ad they mention that they destroyed the transmission or engine, and they never mention anywhere in the ad how many miles are on the vehicle, LOLOLOLOL.

when buying a used vehicle always consider the cost of repairs as the number one determining factor as to buy the vehicle or not.all vehicles need repairs at some point, it may run great now but how much will it cost to repair it when it stops running?

some people think that chevy`s aren`t the most reliable vehicles on the road but the up side is that parts for chevy`s are CHEAP, and almost everyone has the parts in stock.

my son in law had a BMW and when he started having problems with the lights and gauges in the dash cluster the repair estimate to fix it was higher than what the car was worth,and it wasn`t an old BMW.

edit on 23-6-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Oh, I know. I do all the repairs on my truck, my son's car, my daughter's girlfriend's car and folks get me to look at used ones too. I was just tryin' to give M a thread idea. Beats the hell outta another one about politics. Maybe YOU should do one about the BS the dealer tried to get you to do.

I do all the repairs myself too, my favorite vehicls to buy are late 90`s early 2000 chevy`s with the 4.3 vortec engine.

the 4.3 vortec is notorious for the crappy intake manifold gaskets, when the gaskets fail they exhibit the same symptoms as a failed head gasket so people practically give them away because they think it`s a head gasket failure that will cost a fortune to repair. replacing an intake manifold gasket on the 4.3 vortec is s very cheap and easy repair.
The aftermarket intake gaskets are cheap and have been modified to last much longer than the defective plastic OEM intake gaskets.

the last one I bought I gave to my daughter after I fixed it because it was a real gem. it was a 1998 LS S10 blazer 4X4 from the west coast, not a speck of rust on it anywhere,not even under it. It had only 124,000 miles on it, the paint was flawless,interior almost prestine.The major expense was replacing every part of the cooling system because they dumped so much stop leak into it to try and stop the intake gasket from leaking.
I had to replace the radiator,water pump, all the cooling hoses,thermostat,heater core hoses and since replacing the heater core is such a bitch I just flushed it real good with some lime away acid to get all the stop leak out.The heater didn`t even work when I bought it because it was so clogged with stop leak.

I would have kept it for myself but those S10 blazers don`t have a lot of leg or shoulder room for me I like my suburban.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ask the people you know. Use your contacts that you know and trust.

Everyone else is just looking for a sucker to pawn off their old broken stuff so they don't have to deal with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join