It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's that closing in on our sun?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think this has been discussed before but some theories include that this is actually something called a Star/Sun Cruiser. Some people believe it's some massive ship that feeds off the energy from the sun, it's been relatively around the same area because if it moves, it will no longer have the potent energy source of the sun.

Or maybe I've just digested 1/8th of shrooms and I'm just starting to feel the effects.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am not sure what the outgassing could possibly be. Anyhow, it looks as if another planet or something is beginning to enter the frame from the left. There are some weird artifacts around this one as well.

lasco-www.nrl.navy.mil...

@ 2005/02/07 19:42

[edit on 2-7-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Okay, I'm pretty convinced that the saturn shaped object is saturn. Most of the pics that get touted as irregularities are just pixel errors, that's a definite. The gassing we appear to see is just leading light reflected off the planet saturn. I can accept all of this.

I'm not convinced of any of the sun cruiser pics or the solar disc pictures. They appear at best to be data blooms from reflective inner planets, and at worst to be cut and paste jobs with same said planets. The suncruiser pic with the cone shaped beam reaching out and touching the sun is still somewhat unexplained, and that's a direct image with no modification.
The explanations for the trail, and the beam are not sufficient for me. The trail was explained on another board as evidence of SOHO maneuvering, or as evidence that some small reflective object (like a foil flake) got caught in SOHO's gravity.

There is also no explanation, and no attempt on the part of anybody to explain, the movie posted that appears to show the sun ejecting a very solid chunk of something, perhaps Iron. It's a LASCO C2 if I remember correctly, linked to by myself and perhaps others.

If we figure out those few anomalies we can wrap this thread up and move on to killer volcanoes!

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Okay, I *do* have a definitive answer from the badastronomy forum
www.badastronomy.com...

They have links in there to other sites where professional astronomers are discussing this and the consensus is that it's debris.

The "spaceship refueling" rumor was started (as you can see from reading the thread) by someone who meant it as a joke and had NO idea that people would believe anything that stupid.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
I think this has been discussed before but some theories include that this is actually something called a Star/Sun Cruiser. Some people believe it's some massive ship that feeds off the energy from the sun, it's been relatively around the same area because if it moves, it will no longer have the potent energy source of the sun.

Right... That was the "I can't believe you people are that stupid" sarcastic post by the Bad Astronomy member, who had NO idea that someone would believe something so ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Byrd,

I can't find anywhere that they discuss this image

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

Can you please give the direct link?

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
That's one of the so-called Sun Cruiser pics Valhall. The object itself is probably Saturn, the rays are somewhat of a mystery to me, and nobody has explained them to me either.

The badastronomy explanation isn't doing it for me. They chalk it up to a paint fleck or a foil flake. I don't think that accounts for the maneuver the object performed in full view of the camera. They account for this by saying it was attitude adjusment on the part of the craft, which I agree with. We're just not talking about the same 'craft'.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
According to this site, saturn is behind us not the other side of the sun. Mars and Mercury are however opposite us the other side of the sun

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Ok..So I guess we're looking at Mercury. I just wish we could figure out the rest of the equation. I've been going through a bunch of the old images and I've been unable to find anything even remotely similar to the trail, the beam, or the ejection. I've seen CME's, but never anything that looked like a ball of iron being expelled from the sun. I've seen plenty of pixelization, washout anomalies, data losses due to corruption, flares, burn-ins, sensor decay, but never any beams, solid and contoured ejections, or vapor trails. Frustrating..damn frustrating this is.

I still hold out hope the cmdr will arrive with a bucket full of answers to dump on our heads..

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
No, It's not Saturn. Saturn was just at opposition (opposite the Sun from Earth.) It's in quite a good position to view if you have binoculars or a telescope, know someone who does, or live near an observatory. The rings won't be tilted this way so we can see them for about another 33 years. Just giving an idea for something to do on a nice, clear night folks.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
www.exitmundi.nl...

Pertaining to that website. HAHAHAHA! What a load of bollox. Please, for the sake of your sanity, don't beileve what that says. Please!

It doesn't help to calm my nerves when one of the headlines on spaceweather.com starts off with the line "Something's coming..."

No offense, but if you had bothered to read the article about it you'd see it was refering to the 720 Sunpot group.

Edited to include this question. So if we're not looking at a recurrent camera artifact..Could that be the camera's interpretation of a black hole? A neutron star (space diamond) or a Magnetar?

No, no, and finally no. A black hole would completely foul up the Solar System. A neutron star is not a "space diamond" and a magnetar is just a form of neutron star. For some information on it right here on ATS try reading Astronomy: Lives of Stars and Magnetars: The Universe's Monster Magnets

Ok..So I guess we're looking at Mercury.

And just when I was starting lose all hope! Yeah, my best bet is it's Mercury. Let me do about 10 minutes of research and image making and I'll get back to you with what it actually is.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It's Mercury!

Sorry if I seemed irate in my last post, by the way. I am. I've spent the better part of the last two hours dealing with bosses cutting my pay and the observatory's budget. Sorry I never saw this post either... Mostly these things pop up in Space or Sci/Tech.

EDIT: And just before anyone says the object in question is a lot closer... My Starry Night is an old version of Starry Night Backyard. That means stuff isn't to scale so much.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The object has been explained by cmdr and others, so that's good. The beam, ejection, and trail remain a mystery. I haven't missed the explanation have I?

cmdr
Thanks for stopping by the thread, but you didn't adress the aspects of these various photos that are really stumping us. The trail seen in one frame of the C3 image, the ejection seen in the C2 movie posted, and the cone shaped beam that appears to be emmited by mercury in one frame of another C2 movie. I haven't been able to find any official or satisfactory unofficial explanation of any of these phenomenon. Maybe you could take another look at what I'm talking about?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

And for those of you who are following the recent images of the LASCO C3 instrument, the bright object that entered the field of view on Feb. 3 from the lower right is Mercury. It will be crossing the field of view until Feb. 24."

Also if anyone has been wondering about the streak in sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov... _1518_c3.gif
it is apparently caused by some of SOHO's multi-layer thermal insulation that has flaked off and is passing in front of the wide-angle view of the coronagraph

Source:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Excellent post, thank you very much for providing a link to their explanation. I had heard that that was their theory, but I had yet to read an official explanation. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but the repetition would seem to indicate that.

I hadn't considered how long their exposures might be, to allow for the streak..

I used to take similar photos from my car at night, while driving past Indiana refineries. I would get these awesome halos and pillars of light on a black background.

Want to take pictures of yourself as a wizard? Take a hanging lightbulb that has a long cord, run it through your sleeve and hold the base of the bulb. Set up the camera for time exposure and experiment with waving the light in geometric shapes at different speeds for different exposures. Or, just hold the bulb in your hand in a dark room, and if you do a 2-4 second exposure while vibrating your hand holding the lightbulb, it will appear there is an orb of energy floating above your hand.

I've tried this, and have a collection entitled "My Girlfriend, Sorceress." The photos are up in my house, and I still get a kick out of them on a weekly basis, if not daily.

Back to the topic: Still no official explanation for the cone shaped beam or the ejection, but we're getting there! Thanks again Nibiru, for that information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join