It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroin addicts may soon be able use in MA legally.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Massachusetts is now a step closer to allowing opioid addicts to use there drugs freely and without repercussion. The Mass. Medical society has recently voted 193-21 in favor of "supervised injection facilities", stating that in other countries like Canada they have seen a 35% reduce in overdoses in these facilities and a 30% increase in users seeking treatment in the facility.

So pretty much they have seen the reduction because when someone overdoses in the facility there are people already on hand to perform all life saving measures which I don't think is that bad. However I disagree with the fact that my tax dollars have a chance to be going to a place where junkies can "legally" get their fix.

Now this still has to go through the state legislature and get voted into law.

"I need to take a look at that one. I'm not familiar with it," said Gov. Charlie Baker on Monday.

While lawmakers on Beacon Hill might not be sold on the idea at the moment, there is already a proposal on the table to establish a framework for such a facility in the future.

Now I understand how devastating the opioid addiction not only in MA but throughout the entire country is right now, but I don't think it is acceptable for the tax dollars of the people of MA to go to a place used to get high. It should go to helping these individuals who need the help and want the help, but I also disagree with people when they say addiction is a disease, I fully believe it is a choice and if you have strong enough will power you can break that "habit".

What do the members of ATS think on both of these subjects.

NBC Boston

edit on 23-6-2017 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well... it isn't a contagious disease...

But it is a disease of the mind.

However it should not be funded by the tax payer at all.
That's just retarded.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

That's just retarded.

Hell must have froze over today! First Kali then you?

Agreed!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

There is always a middle ground, seeker.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

There is always a middle ground, seeker.

Yea, we have more in comin than we think! I think we need to turn of the idiot box and use our damn common sense a little bit more than being proud to be educated?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I am from Massachusetts and this is such crap. The same people who are passing this law are the same ones who just voted to change the 12% tax on legal marijuana to 28%... Meanwhile they just gave themselves a 40% raise! This is such bullcrap. Looks like the black market will strive... Then the politicians will say, see it doesn't work! No crap taxachusetts. God i hate the politicians in this state. www.boston.com...
They are so out of touch

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
I am from Massachusetts and this is such crap. The same people who are passing this law are the same ones who just voted to change the 12% tax on legal marijuana to 28%... Meanwhile they just gave themselves a 40% raise! This is such bullcrap. Looks like the black market will strive... Then the politicians will say, see it doesn't work! No crap taxachusetts. God i hate the politicians in this state. www.boston.com...
They are so out of touch

It's always good to hear from someone who actually lives in the state!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: 5ofineed5aladder

You and me both, between Charlie Baker who says hes a republican but truthfully is he a Democrat with how he does things to Maura Healy who is so against the 2nd amendment its sickening.

The politicians on Beacon Hill never thought the marijuana bill was even going to pass that is why they did just already have the tax at 28% but now they are scrambling and panicking.

However I totally disagree with the fact soon our tax dollars could be footing the bill for all of these heroin junkies to get high legally, then OD, get hit by narcan and brought back just to do it again, its sickening. But thats how this state is run, between all the sanctuary cities and the Mayor of Boston saying he will still allow Muslims and any other immigrants in who feel unsafe anywhere else.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Having facilities addicts can use to take their substances in a clean, controlled manner.

I firmly believe decriminalizing drugs will make a difference, these facilities could have purity tests for drugs so people can test if the drug they're buying is mixed with fentanyl or testing the purity so they don't overdose, there can also be people trained with naloxone pens which can help reverse the effects of an overdose for 30 minutes while an ambulance arrives.

Also, people injecting in places that are unclean can give them sceptisemia [blood poisoning], these places could have alcohol wipes so they can clean injection sites.

Also, it would stop people from using crack houses and sharing equipment, this will stop the spread of AIDS and Hepatitis C.

If the government could regulate substances then they would be a lot safer, also these places could educate people on the risks.

You mention the costs of having these facilities, "Why should tax payers pay for this" You already are.

You pay for the medical cost out of your taxes for these people to be bought back to life from opiate overdoses, and you know, addiction is a mental disease, it's a sickness, having facilities with people who understand them might just remove the loneliness from it all.

People think all drug addicts are thieves are selfish and are the dregs of society, it doesn't have to be just for opiate addicts either, people who want to test substances can buy kits from there to test the quality, this will stop people who take ecstacy on a night out from getting a faulty batch or a too pure batch and overdose and die on it, they can also be educated on the dose and how to do so safely.

You cannot stop people from taking drugs, if they're going to take them, they will, but you can make sure they're doing it safely in a controlled environment and aren't a risk to anyone else.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550

Actually your paying for them reguardless...

Either a clinic or 40k per person per year for prison..and when tried in other countries it has fixed the problem completely..

If heroin users get their fix, they go to work and pay taxes...

Switzerland cut their felonies commuted by heroin addicts by 85% in 3 years!!!

edit on 23-6-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately our tax dollars are already going towards this you think heroin addicts are footing the bill for the narcan shots when they OD and let me just say I used to keep one in the shop I worked at after having to call 911 on 2 separate occasions for people who overdosed in their car outside and it ran me almost 300 dollar for one of them some people you have to stick with a few to bring them back it's not cheap and it's falling on the taxpayers already and fire and emt and cops have to waste there time responding while I don't agree with any tax money going to this let some non profits fund it and see how it goes will probably free up some emergency services to respond to real emergencys instead of junkies

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Sweet, now I can use more because I probably wont die!

*sarcasm*

I don't know much about it but I really hope this is beneficial.
edit on 23-6-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I also disagree with people when they say addiction is a disease, I fully believe it is a choice and if you have strong enough will power you can break that "habit".

Must never have been addicted to a drug, especially heavy ones like heroin.

Leaving out that alcohol is as addictive, deadly and abused, comparing it to drugs leaves one wondering what all the crime is about.

I can buy as much liquor as I wasn't most anywhere... but get caught with a little tiny bit of powder and off to the slammer.

The element of danger is part of the appeal.

Thats why these 'injection centers' in places like Amsterdam work. If its legal what fun is that? Whats the point of going on to OD dead from heroin if its as easy as going to the local bar?

Heroin, like alcohol is a depressant, depressed people drink or take opiates. Addicts (alcoholics are addicts) don't want to fix it, they just want to stay inebriated. If offered a chance to accept treatment during the depressed cycle of addiction, they usually (eventually) respond favorably.

At least it works in Amsterdam...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
No one has ever died of an overdose at the InSite safe injection site in Vancouver, and they've been open since 2003. That should speak for itself.

This shouldn't even be an issue, but a lot of people still believe that punishing people for drug use helps them in some way.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
Having facilities addicts can use to take their substances in a clean, controlled manner.

I firmly believe decriminalizing drugs will make a difference, these facilities could have purity tests for drugs so people can test if the drug they're buying is mixed with fentanyl or testing the purity so they don't overdose, there can also be people trained with naloxone pens which can help reverse the effects of an overdose for 30 minutes while an ambulance arrives.

Also, people injecting in places that are unclean can give them sceptisemia [blood poisoning], these places could have alcohol wipes so they can clean injection sites.

Also, it would stop people from using crack houses and sharing equipment, this will stop the spread of AIDS and Hepatitis C.

If the government could regulate substances then they would be a lot safer, also these places could educate people on the risks.

You mention the costs of having these facilities, "Why should tax payers pay for this" You already are.

You pay for the medical cost out of your taxes for these people to be bought back to life from opiate overdoses, and you know, addiction is a mental disease, it's a sickness, having facilities with people who understand them might just remove the loneliness from it all.

People think all drug addicts are thieves are selfish and are the dregs of society, it doesn't have to be just for opiate addicts either, people who want to test substances can buy kits from there to test the quality, this will stop people who take ecstacy on a night out from getting a faulty batch or a too pure batch and overdose and die on it, they can also be educated on the dose and how to do so safely.

You cannot stop people from taking drugs, if they're going to take them, they will, but you can make sure they're doing it safely in a controlled environment and aren't a risk to anyone else.

Let em die!

Has our educational system become so poor that these idiots who choose to play Russian roulette with their lives now require those who are responsible to pay for those who just don't give a snip?

Nah, those who want to commit suicide know EXACTLEY what they are doing and that applies to those who want to do drugs that they damn well know are dangerous to use!

What the hell happened to personal responsibility in this mad house we currently live in?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Addiction is a disease just as is alcoholism.
If centers are made where people suffering from the illness of addiction to opiates can go and congregate in mass it may help with those who may experience overdoses being able to receive treatment immediately.

These centers if ran correctly can enable users to see the mass of the disease more directly. Which may encourage the mentally stronger users to begin to help others like them to learn how to overcome. It would be more viable if the users could access synthetic less aggressive brands of opiates or mimics that are equally as effective on site. This would possibly pull many addicts to these centers off the streets and slowly take them away from more aggressive opiates and mimics like elephant tranquilizers over time.

In theory the addicted have sanctuary where they can access but must join for terms of at least nine months or more, where they can go to appease their addictions and find treatment on site.
If they leave at their own will they will have to start the program over from the start upon return, which limits the benefits if they had made it to longer term in the centers.

The goal is to eventually have congregating addicted who want to shake the addiction working with new incoming members suffering from the disease. Overseen and assisted by medical psychological professionals and physicians, that have onsite managed distribution of less aggressive or mimics drugs.
A attraction factor is required for such a disease to pull them from their attachments...

The ill will have place to sleep, feed their addiction on a somewhat limited bases & get educational support and job assistance if they need it to help reestablish their lives once they leave the centers and they will have a direct view of how massive the disease is and would of had hands on experience with trying to help those more ill.

As far as taxpayers cost think about how much a tomahawk missile cost to build and deploy and explode, so funding these centers isn't an impossible feat to overcome.
You can also factor in big Pharma and ask them to help fund the centers since it would be their drugs used within the centers and are some of their drugs many are addicted to.
Be well

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Shouldn't the goal be to take the russian roulette part out of it?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That's just retarded.

Opiates are disease of the body exposed as is alcohol...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hilarious. You're not from MA are you? The state legalized medical cannabis in 2012 and have allowed maybe a half dozen dispensaries to open... if you can call them that. And recreational was passed in 2016 and there is nothing happening around that at all. If anything is moving it's at a glacial pace. So heroin use? Maybe by 2040 or so.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I also disagree with people when they say addiction is a disease, I fully believe it is a choice and if you have strong enough will power you can break that "habit".

Must never have been addicted to a drug, especially heavy ones like heroin.

Leaving out that alcohol is as addictive, deadly and abused, comparing it to drugs leaves one wondering what all the crime is about.

I can buy as much liquor as I wasn't most anywhere... but get caught with a little tiny bit of powder and off to the slammer.

The element of danger is part of the appeal.

Thats why these 'injection centers' in places like Amsterdam work. If its legal what fun is that? Whats the point of going on to OD dead from heroin if its as easy as going to the local bar?

Heroin, like alcohol is a depressant, depressed people drink or take opiates. Addicts (alcoholics are addicts) don't want to fix it, they just want to stay inebriated. If offered a chance to accept treatment during the depressed cycle of addiction, they usually (eventually) respond favorably.

At least it works in Amsterdam...

'

You're correct I have never been addicted to any drugs and I don't really drink that much.

However I don't think these centers will work like they work in other countries, Americans have a logic of always doing more of something, whether it be drinking or drugs. I think you will see more overdoses because now people wont be afraid of the legal repercussions of doing their drugs.

If you have HBO there is a documentary that is called Heroin: Cape Cod that talks about the opioid problem and talks about how people who seek help for it usually relapse, I would highly recommend you check it out if you can.

As for addiction being a disease I must disagree with you, I used chewing tobacco for almost 15 years and I was able to quit pretty much overnight, It wasn't difficult for me I just have will power and had the want to stop for my own health. Alcoholism and drug "addiction" is the same as this, all you need is will power and a want to better yourself for whatever reason it may be, health, family, or anything. And before you say I must not know anyone that this has affected, a close friend of mine died of a overdose in December, he hid his problem very well, had a great job in Boston and non of us knew he was using until it was to late had we all known we would have done everything possible to help him.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join