It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pingo!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Solved? How scientists say mystery craters were formed in northern Siberia

A new expedition to the craters in Yamal, in northern Russia, shows how they have rapidly altered since they were first noticed last year, but also indicates the possibility that not all the craters were formed in identical ways. The holes - first noticed last year - intrigued and perplexed scientists from around the world, initially provoking a number of explanations as to their cause, the most outlandish of which was that they were caused by stray missiles or even aliens from outer space. Now the experts say the formation is something 'never observed' before, linked to warm weather in recent years. New pictures from the expedition are shown here, showing how one of the holes has rapidly filled with water in recent months. The most famous crater - known to scientists as B-1 - was measured by echo-sounder this week and found to be over 60 metres deep, significantly more than previously thought. But the experts are surprised how quickly it filled with water after the melting of the winter snow cover. The water is now only 10 metres from the rim of the hole, and the scientists are witnessing a lake being formed before their eyes.

Fascinating!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Never heard of these before and now I'm in a hunt to find out more.

Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Really enjoying these things.

peace

join