It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA discovery reveals genetic history of ancient Egyptians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I saw this and thought many of you would find the results of the genetic testing interesting.

Ancient Egyptians and their modern counterparts share less in common than you might think. That is, at least genetically, a team of scientists have found.

Researchers from the University of Tuebingen and the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, both in Germany, have decoded the genome of ancient Egyptians for the first time, with unexpected results.

Publishing its findings in Nature Communications, the study concluded that preserved remains found in Abusir-el Meleq, Middle Egypt, were closest genetic relatives of Neolithic and Bronze Age populations from the Near East, Anatolia and Eastern Mediterranean Europeans.

Modern Egyptians, by comparison, share much more DNA with sub-Saharan populations.

The findings have turned years of theory on its head, causing Egyptologists to re-evaluate the region's history while unlocking new tools for scientists working in the field.

Sources:
www.nature.com...
www.cnn.com...

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Prepare for flack from Afrophiles. When I was getting a degree in Archaeology decades ago, there were the first rumblings of "Egyptians were Black" ideas. I won't even call them theories, because theories require some evidence. This has since grown into a cottage industry: Homer was Black, Shakespeare was Black - total insanity.
edit on 23/6/2017 by MJT4256 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Modern Egyptians, by comparison, share much more DNA with sub-Saharan populations.

I.E., Black.

Obviously...

Lol, Don't need DNA to see that profile.

Egyptians were black.

(portion redacted)
edit on 23-6-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MJT4256

Prepare for flack from Afrophiles. When I was getting a degree in Archaeology decades ago, there were the first rumblings of "Egyptians were Black" ideas. I won't even call them theories, because theories require some evidence. This has since grown into a cottage industry: Homer was Black, Shakespeare was Black - total insanity.

They do it to annoy us and for no other reason. All we can do is redouble our efforts to spread the truth.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MJT4256

When I was getting a degree in Archaeology decades ago, there were the first rumblings of "Egyptians were Black" ideas.

Kind of upsetting the whole History was white genre, huh?

Better get thicker glasses...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Not to be that guy but this was already posted about 3 weeks ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Interesting, that does confirm some of the evidence that pointed towards population movements. And makes a lot of sense given the history of the region.

Also, please bare in mind that the whole Egyptians Were Black Africans movement is really just one woman at one university in America somewhere, who has a small handful of believers. It's not like, this huge movement that is trampling accepted archaeological understanding.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MJT4256

Wait... you've got a Masters in archaeology and still don't understand that there are multiple ethnicities in Africa and have no clue the legitimately black Africans from Kmet ruled Egypt at various times while attempting to dispute an article (let alone the paper that the article is based on) that you clearly haven't read because the Op's headline wanted
To cuddle with your blatant confirmation bias? Sounds like a really great Anthro program at the school you sent to!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So, it appears that the oldest Egyptians were white. I was trying to find the haplogroup from the main article but I couldn't find it. Was it K2A I wonder?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

multiple ethnicities in Africa and have no clue the legitimately black Africans from Kmet ruled Egypt at various times
Africa is very diverse ethnically
, Yep

One thing from that study , that I found surprising is that modern Egyptians are only about 12%? arabic.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, it appears that the oldest Egyptians were white. I was trying to find the haplogroup from the main article but I couldn't find it. Was it K2A I wonder?

No, the oldest epytians were black african, who were supplanted by Eurasian(Anatolians and levantines)hunter gatherers then early farmers. Even in its earliest days Egyptian region was multi ethnic, as is attested to in my old thread A Younger Dryas war on the Nile

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

No, the oldest epytians were black african, who were supplanted by Eurasian(Anatolians and levantines)hunter gatherers then early farmers. Even in its earliest days Egyptian region was multi ethnic, as is attested to in my old thread A Younger Dryas war on the Nile

From the Nature article. "On the nuclear level we merged the SNP data of our three ancient individuals with 2,367 modern individuals34,35 and 294 ancient genomes36 and performed PCA on the joined data set. We found the ancient Egyptian samples falling distinct from modern Egyptians, and closer towards Near Eastern and European samples (Fig. 4a, Supplementary Fig. 3, Supplementary Table 5). In contrast, modern Egyptians are shifted towards sub-Saharan African populations."

Nature is actually a very reputable source, I have found that their information authors are decent. Don't relate this to natural news where only half of the articles are worthy of repeating.
edit on 23-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The Nubians were definitely African. They mined for gold and traded it with the Egyptians, who turned it and gemstones into jewellery who in turn were bought by the Nubians. Tutankhamun was smart enough to realise that they needed artwork of everyday Egyptian life for future generations to realize how they lived. So many paintings and scenes were drawn:

oi.uchicago.edu...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I am now confused.

Who do I phobia about now??

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Tutankhamen was R1a.
edit on 6/23/2017 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Nature is about as reputable as there is , and I am not questioning that.
The study is limited to sample group from the New Kingdom through to Roman times.
Those "ancient" egyptians,

closer towards Near Eastern
=Levantine;

and European samples
=Anatolian,
but I was referencing who was living on the Nile 12kya, there were two distinct ethnic groups on the Nile, one closely related to subsaharan african physiologicaly, and another group representative of very ancient north africans, again more eurasian.

edit on p0000006k26652017Fri, 23 Jun 2017 16:26:26 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

Tutankhamen was R1a.

Not my relative then, I am Haplogroup NO or K2A. Some of those people were J1 or something like that.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Tutankhamen was R1a.

Not my relative then, I am Haplogroup NO or K2A. Some of those people were J1 or something like that.

I don't remember where I read it. It was last year. Anyway, he is somehow related to the European aristocracy.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MJT4256

I've seen Black Santa Claus (oddly next to MLK and Black Jesus in a watercolor of like a Mt. Rushmore)

I'd also opine if Jesus was a blue eyed, honey brown haired dude traipsing about that ecological niche during those times He had to know Karate, Judo or some other Japanese words....

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Tutankhamen was R1a.

I don't remember where I read it. It was last year. Anyway, he is somehow related to the European aristocracy.

His Y haplogroup has never been published. All of the reports indicating that he, his father (Akhenaton) and grandfather(Amenhotep III) were all R1b1a2 along with 50% of all Western European males was "reconstructed" by a Swiss
genomics company, Igenea, allegedly based on a screenshot from the Discovery Channel. Ignea is the Swiss equivalent of 23andMe where you mail in cheek swabs. They had nothing to do with any of the actual research nor did they have access to any of the data so I wouldn't put much stock in their claims.

www.igenea.com...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

www.livescience.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join