It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would it be like if Earth was hit by some rogue planet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

What would it be like?

It would be bad , but the build up would be worse.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

What would it be like?

It would be bad , but the build up would be worse.

Just interested in the mechanics of the build up and final result.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I don't really know all that much but I'm confident with a couple things like the tides going haywire and I'm pretty sure it would cause the solar system to become an asteroid shooting gallery. Other stuff would probably happen too like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Also mass panic.

To quote Dan Truman (Billy Bob Thorton) in Armageddon: "Basically, the worst parts of the Bible"

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Probably not the best of days.
I imagine the gravity of another planet depending on its size would effect us first. Earth is tiny as planets go so a rogue of average sizes gravitational field would cause massive tidal waves around the world maybe even cause the tectonic plates to shift causing massive world wide earth quakes. Maybe it alone will rip our plant apart before it ever gets close enough to hit us.
Doubt it will be a wink out like a bug hitting a windshield of a speeding car.

But it's not going to happen because the planets don't go roaming around the universe.

Now a giant asteroid....

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Aeshma

There was a movie about this not that long back... melancholia..

It was alright, pretty fair to say it'd go a lot like that movie portrays.

My wife told me about that one, but I never got around to watching it.

It's not terrible but far from great. The best thing about that movie is probably the fact that Kirsten Dunst shows she has nice boobies. I had a crush on her at one point and time so I was thrilled lol.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Was that about a rogue planet or a depressed lady and her sisters wedding?
What a boring very hard to get through movie.
The last five minutes was about the rogue planet.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

No. Earth would not survive.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I think the build up would would mostly be fear until the gravitational effect of the rogue planet started to be felt then that would cause storms and earthquakes , the final result would be either destruction of the Earth and creation of a new asteroid belt or if the Earth survived the surface would be made molten and atmosphere lost.

At least the worlds leaders with their contingency plans and underground shelters would find themselves in the same position as us plebs which would be some small comfort.

edit on 23-6-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Aeshma

There was a movie about this not that long back... melancholia..

It was alright, pretty fair to say it'd go a lot like that movie portrays.

My wife told me about that one, but I never got around to watching it.

It's not terrible but far from great. The best thing about that movie is probably the fact that Kirsten Dunst shows she has nice boobies. I had a crush on her at one point and time so I was thrilled lol.

Sold.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I think the build up would would mostly be fear until the gravitational effect of the rogue planet started to be felt then that would cause storms and earthquakes , the final result after the collision would be either destruction of the Earth and creation of a new asteroid belt or if the Earth survived in tact the surface would be made molten and atmosphere lost.

At least the worlds leaders with their contingency plans and underground shelters would find themselves in the same position as us plebs which would be some small comfort.

Nice silver lining.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

A rogue planet hitting the earth would be worse than a life ending asteroid, the planet itself may even be totally destroyed and were the earth is now an asteroid belt would exist but that is only one scenario.

Here are some poorly worked model's that still have a planet there afterward's but they are still very cool to look at.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I imagine the gravity of another planet depending on its size would effect us first. Earth is tiny as planets go so a rogue of average sizes gravitational field would cause massive tidal waves around the world maybe even cause the tectonic plates to shift causing massive world wide earth quakes. Maybe it alone will rip our plant apart before it ever gets close enough to hit us.

Was listening to NPR awhile back, They were talking about that weird anomaly star/ alien death star..... the super smart astro physicist lady said pretty much what you said.

The gravity of each planet would rip the other apart and the two planets would not actually "collide" physically.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A large rogue would start to be felt because of its gravity long before anyone could see it. We'd know it was there.

And while the earth technically might survive a collision from a smaller planetoid like it did survive the collision with the body that created the moon, nothing living on it would make it.

If you watch shows on the Science Channel, you will catch the simulations of what they think that collision looked like, and nothing on earth would have survived that.

We'd be lucky to survive an asteroid collision like the one that took out the dinosaurs and it was nowhere near planetoid size.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Wow I'm like the super smart astrophysicist lady.

Can I quote you lol.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join