It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet 10?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What?

Scientists at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory (LPL) have determined that an unseen object with a mass somewhere between that of Earth and Mars could be lurking in the Kuiper Belt, a region beyond Neptune filled with thousands of icy asteroids, comets and dwarf planets.

Planet 10? Another Earth-Size World May Lurk in the Outer Solar System

Wow, just wow. Planet 9, Planet 10, next item on the list: who knows! Fascinating.
Well. Would be pretty hard to spot, but they're optimistic:

Though no planet-size objects have been spotted in the Kuiper Belt so far, the researchers are optimistic that the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), which is currently under construction in Chile, will help find these hidden worlds. "We expect LSST to bring the number of observed KBOs from currently about 2,000 to 40,000," Malhotra said.

"There are a lot more KBOs out there — we just have not seen them yet," Malhotra added. "Some of them are too far and dim even for LSST to spot, but because the telescope will cover the sky much more comprehensively than current surveys, it should be able to detect this object, if it's out there."

ATSliens!

edit on 22-6-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

This seems telling to me. All that money looking out and we don't even know our solar system. I am not saying it's all wasted but it makes me question what research is relative and what isn't.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
We still have places on earth not explored completely, and we know little about the belt and it's thousands and thousands of mega rocks. It is sure suicide to try navigation in that space, probably require AI controlled craft to adjust course in real time. Even with current tech it would have high risk mixing it up with speedy rocks the size of our moon at 87K MPs...

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Might be Earth sized but at that distance and in whatever eccentric orbit it must have it certainly wont be Earth like.

So its not Marduk or Nibiru. ')

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake and it's in a mega pinball machine but if you have good nav and with advanced capabilities, a huge ship could blend in indefinitely. You would be practically invisible to earth, and have free reign....

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Great place to hide from stalkers nonetheless. Plus it's probably very dark, too...

Enjoy your stay at the chilly Mar d´Uk resort!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

That ship better have some rather impressive shield capability.

Why would it matter as to remaining invisible to Earth?

At that distance, for all intents and purpose, it is invisible anyway hence it had not been detected until now, and it's not like we are anywhere near capable of sending our own manned craft there.

Might not even get away with sending a probe given the nature of the area in question.
edit on 22-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong i would love to holiday out there.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
They've known about a massive planet 9 (or 10 , or X) for a looong time... but I don't mean since Mesopotamia, rather since the 1980's, at least. Harrington of the Naval Observatory found it. This planet (and/or others) keep getting written up every so often due to gravitational models that indicate something(s) of planet sized mass lurks out there.

Some models in the past couple decades indicate something 3 or more Earth masses... this one points to Earth or Mars size.

There are likely many more, too. Cool... 'cause it will be a little dull once we know everything.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Don't get me wrong i would love to holiday out there.

I swear, some of you guys sound like former "Star Wars" teenagers!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Is it that evident??? But we are not ones to join the dark side...and the force...not strong in this one.....

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma. If we actually get to know the belt we will know alot of our system....but that is a mere spec of a uncountable arena...

edit on 22-6-2017 by teslahowitzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Nope, he didn't find PlanetX. And his calculations turned out to be wrong, overestimated Neptuns mass or something. There was always speculation though, but he has pretty much nothing to do with this pilo of KBOs.

Edit to add a good read:

NASA’s Voyager 2 spacecraft settled the Planet X question — for a time. When the probe flew past Uranus and Neptune in the 1980s, it gave astronomers better data to revise the masses of the planets. The new data revealed that nothing was pulling on them. Tombaugh finding Pluto where Lowell’s calculations pointed was just a coincidence.

A distant planet may lurk far beyond Neptune
edit on 22-6-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Did you see this? "NASA telescope finds 10 more planets that could have life" source
edit on 22-6-2017 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Well, he obviously didn't really find it or everyone would know, but I meant his findings were in the media and he and many others have looked at the data and made assumptions, wight or wrong, about a planetary mass out there ... for a long time.

Interesting, though ... so thanks! I love being wrong. I get a lot to love.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

This seems telling to me. All that money looking out and we don't even know our solar system. I am not saying it's all wasted but it makes me question what research is relative and what isn't.

A far-away bright star or even an immensely far-away b right galaxy is easier to see (in visible light, radio, or whatever) than a relatively tiny planet that is not reflecting much sunlight.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

That's probobly because a few of us grew up around the original Star Wars saga.

edit on 22-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Planet 10? That's where Phage resides! Of course it exists.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Yes this is fascinating, It would be a marvel if more information came out on this, a lot we've yet to discover! Very good find.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

That's the spirit! A little bit of history doesn't hurt. So thanks to you, too!
Anyway. Lets hope Nemesis will be around to crash some more ice soon.

#KuiperBeltRocks

a reply to: Staroth

That brings us to 50 earths out there by now. Interesting times, thanks for the link!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join