It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D&D minis: Primordial Beholder-kin sculpt! PIC HVY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
D&D minis: Primordial Beholder-kin sculpt

They expected some thing, but didn’t expect this thing:

I just started the first 5e campaign for our regular group(3.5 no more!) and wound up making a swampy style beast after reading too much Lovecraft and Beholder types info in the new sourcebooks!
Basically a summoned “boss” to wrap up the nights supposedly an early evolutionary form of Beholder, before the big eye, ego and deadly eye stalks.
“Abhoeth” with some pretty throttled stats for my 2nd lvl PCs, they managed to kill it after avoiding some homebrew fear checks and an awesome Bard staying on top of his job!
Lets get straight on to it… beware its not a step by step guide, just a glimpse into my first monster sculpt. Enjoy!

It began with a lump of aluminum foil and a rough open tube of foil covered in sheets of Sculpy oven bake clay and some twisted wire for the eye stalks. At this point I was hoping to fit in a central eye, as Beholders are inclined to have but it was clear after a bit that I would have to leave it out for space. At this point I baked it to make it easier to proceed with the details.

Fleshed out appendages, eyeballs and toothpick teeth! Theres a wire there for his tongue, and flattened balls for scaly hide. The teeth were fun, just a snip off the end of the toothpick, poke it through a ball of clay and boom; Donut gums! Baked it from here for next details.

Added the tongue, lip(s) and scales. Used a coffee straw to texture the lip(s) and tongue. At this stage, the wife gave me a concerned look questioning my interests.

Back end of the same stage, the scales were fast and fun with a decent look. Rules-wise the scales aren’t hard, but blubbery sacks giving immunity vs bludgeoning attacks. Next, bake ‘em!

Last minute eyeball details and on to base colors! Before the paint I glazed the beast with pva white glue just in case after a scale fell off right out of the oven.
I intended on purple mouth, red tongue and pale grey green skin, but the base colors were mixed I liked it and will just high light accordingly from here.

Hit it with a black-brown shade, cant quite tell here but it was just what it needed for a mottled shade for under a uniform highlight of a muted lime green added progressively to the base mix.

7. Here It/He/She/Xe/whatever is! I rushed the skin and finished him about an hour before game time, very proud! The mouth is my fav, highlighted to a pale pink and several glazes of purple ink, and 2 coats of gloss varnish over the whole thing for that slimey look that’s all the rage this summer! The eyes are just red wet blended to orange and 4 gloss coats!

I hope you enjoyed it, Its silly looking but it worked perfectly that night, everyone cheered as they layed it low with teamwork and an inordinate amount of natural 20s!

Thank you for your time!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Most excellent eye candy.

You are very creative, with solid imaginative talent

Thank you for the ride...

Des

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Many years ago I bought a handmade chess set based on Lord of the Rings for over 2,000$ Would go for way more now but it was stolen!
I would bet with your talent you could create an amazing chess set.

Guess the wife would look on you differently for your interests if you sold a set for thousands :-)
edit on 22-6-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

This is a very welcome break from the rest of ATS.

Post more minis please.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Nice work!

Always been a beholder fan and cant seem to shake the D&D thing even in my advancing age.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Nice work, looks pretty good! The eyes and the shiny glaze are nice touch.

Have you worked on smaller models characters? Just wondering offhand. I've tried a while back making some D&D like characters-smaller models albeit- with Femo type clay, found the smaller details are, of course, a little tougher to work with. Gonna need more smaller tools to help.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Awesome job. Proud of you. I love seeing/reading the process. Wish I had time and resources to play with. Probably spend too much time on ats.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Not a whole mini, but I've added details like cloaks, tabbards, icons and such on standard minis using 2-part epoxy putty.

Thanks for the interest!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

That's super awesome.

I'm trying to price out a good 3D printer that will make minis for my campaign. You are quite talented.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
That's pretty awesome man thanks for sharing that

top topics

join