It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 100-year-old physics problem has been solved

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
So No one finds this useful for space propulsion? You know we've got about 20 more years to find a suitable planet to make the jump to if humanity plans to continue on.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: FamCore

I read it and was like... "No way!!"

Explanation on how they did it.

The researchers came up with a hybrid resonant / wave-guiding system made of a magneto-optic material that, when a magnetic field is applied, is able to stop the wave and store it for a prolonged period, thereby accumulating large amounts of energy. Then when the magnetic field is switched off, the trapped pulse is released.

(same source)

They could make a nice weapon out of that, one that charges itself without need for fueling. What can that technology lead to in the wrong hands.

You may be on to something there.
This may be how they are "cloaking" Nibiru from us so we don't know it is coming closer every day.

Nibiro sounds like a good name for a pet.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Like in "pet theory"?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Planet teleX
Would this be capable of compressing data? If it could be miniaturized it might end up in computer memory chips

Eh, I'm not going to lie, I starred you for your excellent choice of username.

Mods, remove my post if need be

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

A little later I quote the post. The wording is a little poetical (i.e., "walking" the light) so being able to "freeze" light and release it at your choosing sounds like a scientific explanation to me of what Astr0 posted. That is all. Just pointing it out for those who that may have been confused or are still trying to understand what was being conveyed.

As for the bread crumbs... sure! I'll do some digging today. "Invisibility cloak" has always been a hot topic here on ATS. I've seen some older threads too. Mostly meta-materials tuned to a certain frequency not broad spectrum light. Or microwave invisibility not the visible spectrum. I find it very interesting, as you can tell.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChrisM101
So No one finds this useful for space propulsion? You know we've got about 20 more years to find a suitable planet to make the jump to if humanity plans to continue on.

Didn't Bradbury have things in "Star Trek" called power conduits ?

They were the power distribution system on the Enterprise. This article mentioned the use of the wave guides to act as such for handling large amounts of current.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

The technology was based on storing energy in a highly energetic plasma, "electro-plasma," and distributing it throughout the ship via plasma conduits, called EPS conduits. The system of conduits was also referred to as the plasma grid. EPS conduits usually started at a matter-antimatter reaction assembly, also called the warp core, where matter was converted to energy, and extended to all areas of a ship. Plasma conduit power levels were regulated by plasma coolant ducts, and monitored by plasma conversion sensors.

Very large conduits extended from the warp core, through the nacelle struts, and into the nacelles to facilitate the massive power transfer to the warp coils needed to create a warp field. A plasma stream was directed by plasma injectors at the warp coils.

Source: memory-alpha.wikia.com - Electro-plasma system.

We can start work on the plasma conduits now!

Where did I leave my warp core?

This is the third time today specifically referring to Star Trek: Romulans, Starfleet Academy, now, power conduits.

I think Universe is trying to tell me something...

May the Force be with you!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

We will need the intermix ratio that would not violate the integrity of the warp core engine.

Not necessarily an experiment one would want to run on Earth initially.

What in your opinion are applications as to the modern grid and its potential applications, in relation to the current development of Fusion Technology?

edit on 23-6-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: chr0naut

You know what? If you combine the idea of freezing waves with the quantum mechanic world as previously posted at, Quantum Zeno Effect, Counterfactuality, and The Weeping Angels, then we actually may be one step closer to actually creating a "transporter"!

The link describes an experiment where data was transferred one way using quantum effects without the need to entangle two particles first. Sounds kind of the same. Just need a powerful enough computer to stack all your Legos in the right order!

Hell of a way to travel! Spreading a man's molecules all over the universe! --Leonard "Bones" McCoy

You can transfer all the man's molecules you like. But it does not transfer his mind and soul.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Another way of looking at this is that the very definition of matter is stored energy.

Nice thread

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

The matter/antimatter reaction would be bad@ss. Sending power around through EPS conduits makes sense but we are not close to even doing anything like that. We're still using Tesla's technology to push electricity around. And we haven't got the "through the air part" figured out (publically). But boy is it fun to dream!

Check this post out for using nuclear fusion plasma both as an electricity generator and as propulsion for a spaceship.

Fusion generator testing should start later this year. They want to demo that rocket engine around 2020 which seems to be the magic date for fusion since there are something like four reactors that want to also demo by then.

If there is no room temperature superconductor found then this thread's work would be awesome! Remember, we haven't seen a functional magneto resonant wave guide so they still have to be developed.

a reply to: micpsi

I would say that is a conundrum then. Unless mind and soul are outside the body and interact with the "ugly sack of mostly water" through quantum mechanics. See, "extended mind" for some wild ideas about mind.

a reply to: Kashai

Thanks. Seeing old paradigms fall is a joy in life! Then dreaming of where it may lead makes me happy!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Music break...)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You can get the strong force to extend past the coulomb barrier of materials at 50nm stimulated at the right frequency. Another way of thinking about cold fusion.

Most invisibilty tricks use a dielectric whether it be in the form of nano spheres or plasma functioning as a parallel plate waveguide with a metamaterial skin.

Just so long as you can control the voltage in that dielectric to tease it into a negative or double negative refractive index at the frequencies you want.

As for the A0 quote about walking the light. Thats a mature technology pretty interesting how they do that. BAE hinted at it but of course they then showed one of its side show party tricks not the main one.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

BASS,

Dude, sorry about what you witnessed with the hit and run...

((hug))

That's messed up.

I was sure that this announcement was the "slow leak" and like I said, maybe a little over enthusiastic. You and Bedlam, Zaph, Jukidone, Phage, BidFatFurryTexan, BigBrotherDarkness, and a couple others (Anaana, Peeple, Reverbs, I mean you! And the Killer B's, of course!! They know who they are!
) keep my enthusiasm in check!

Thanks to you all! :kisses:

To bad I was not here back then. These are my best guesses. So mercy, please!

Battery dying... gotta run,,,

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You're so right. Look at what the government can do now too, they can pin any sort of cyber crime on you they want and there's no way to tell.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I'm just superficially "technology savvy(?) but

It's like a face palm moment: light. From a bio-physics pov it must be like

We are material, we want energy, what has next to no material, but lots of energy?
(& now comes my main question: )
Plasma is the stage after photons, right?

edit on 24-6-2017 by Peeple because: Correction

I call Mandela on this one.

edit on 24-6-2017 by Peeple because: 2nd thoughts

edit on 24-6-2017 by Peeple because: ...if it were a game

And if one would want to create a huge spark, wouldn't it be wise using something diametral on the energy scale? So my question is also:
Can we harvest light &/or dark matter in a smaller scale and make them collide?

edit on 24-6-2017 by Peeple because: Question

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Whenever I read such articles about significant technological discoveries I can not help it thinking this is old news. Not only are there plenty applications but also militairy plenty applications.

Especially if such discoveries are made by a DOD (Department of Defence) lab you can expect this technology not to surface in the mainstream world until they have their applications covert and it is time for money to be made in the real world.

And this is how they introduce this new breakthrough technology to the world we live in.

edit on 24/6/2017 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhyDidIJoin

You're so right. Look at what the government can do now too, they can pin any sort of cyber crime on you they want and there's no way to tell.

They can target your computer and send cybercrime evidence onto it. Actually a lot of hackers can do the same thing.

It is like the calls we were getting around here that showed up as a local number on your phone, but it was a scam run out of Mexico and Florida to try to convince people to give credit card numbers for a free trip. Our government actually arrested the guy from Florida and is fining him many million dollars, none of which will probably get sent to the people he scammed. The government seems to act fast once it is shown that they can make money off of arresting someone like that. So, all the people that got scammed sort of paid taxes to the government with what they lost.

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
fantastic read . when I read this I thought of Tesla and the experiments he was doing as he too was trying to make an invisibility cloak and a ray gun and now I have to go watch a loads of documentary's about him as I love him good job I have a few stored on my hard drive.! S&F I enjoyed that! oxo

I think they have had this tech a while found a vid on youtube you can make your own mind up

edit on 24-6-2017 by dingdongdoodah because: quick add

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dingdongdoodah

Interesting video, unfortunately it's extremely grainy, could just be caused by the compression of the video, such low quality of the footage.

But if true, then extremely scary. In the hands of our government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join