It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A View of US Forces in at-Tanf Syria Border Post

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
As I expected, there was nothing more that could be done to maintain this position, and the Pentagon allegedly is ready to vacate, but has not set any timeline. They probably will just pull out in the middle of the night and cross into Jordan. When everyone gets up one morning it will just look like a ghost town.
US says ready to leave Syria’s Al-Tanf
And the original Sputnik article as well.
US Says Ready to Leave Syria's al-Tanf, Timeframes Unclear

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The US is ready to leave Syria’s al-Tanf, where the US-led coalition is currently located, but it has not outlined any timeframes, a military-diplomatic source told Sputnik.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
EU fancy characters should not be confused about the Russian military leaving Syria. This was not done for electoral reasons. This was the completion of a military operation, whose objectives do not include the occupation of the country. It was never a colonial operation.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
As I expected, there was nothing more that could be done to maintain this position, and the Pentagon allegedly is ready to vacate, but has not set any timeline. They probably will just pull out in the middle of the night and cross into Jordan. When everyone gets up one morning it will just look like a ghost town.
US says ready to leave Syria’s Al-Tanf
And the original Sputnik article as well.
US Says Ready to Leave Syria's al-Tanf, Timeframes Unclear

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The US is ready to leave Syria’s al-Tanf, where the US-led coalition is currently located, but it has not outlined any timeframes, a military-diplomatic source told Sputnik.

Any word on a timeline for al-Tanf? It's been a while since they shipped their Rebel proxy fighters off to the Kurdish region to fight ISIS, or man their glory holes (I doubt the US really cares which). There hasn't been much going on near al-Tanf for the last few months.

Perhaps they're waiting for the Russian troops to leave. I'm sure this has been negotiated out behind the scenes.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
I don't believe they are serious at this point anymore. When no timeline is given, it kind of becomes an open ended commitment with a vague promise to leave some day. Kind of like Iraq and Afghanistan, although I am not downplaying the importance of maintaining forces in those places, just drawing a parallel.

I was reading an Arabic source today from back in May though saying that Including the USA, there are Norwegian, German, Italian, and a couple of Arab partners numbering about 150 total. Its just setup like a temporary FOB, so I can't imagine they will be there forever. I have not seen too much new in regards to Tanf, so I will keep an eye out for some new updates. But unfortunately, don't expect a timeline for withdrawal.

It still functions as a strategically placed roadblock though to keep Iranians from having a direct land route to Lebanon.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
Well, this garrison at Tanf is now going to evolve into a semi-permanent base according to the language used by David Satterfield at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee meeting recently.

WASHINGTON DC, United States (Kurdistan 24) – The US is establishing two military bases in Syria for use after the defeat of the Islamic State (IS), Defense News reported Monday.

One is near Raqqa, at Tabqa, where there is a Syrian air base that US forces have taken over for purposes of training and advising the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). The other site is at al-Tanf, on the Iraqi-Syrian border, near the al-Waleed border crossing
Over the past week, US officials have increasingly spoken of a continuing US presence in eastern Syria, even after IS’ defeat.

On Thursday, Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near East Affairs, David Satterfield, revealed to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that the US had an alternate plan for Syria, in the event that the UN-sponsored talks in Geneva failed to produce an agreement.

In that case, Satterfield said, the US would remain in eastern Syria to provide an alternative political model within the country to Assad’s brutal rule and to counter “Iran and its ability to enhance its presence in Syria.”

Well cutting off their primary land bridge would do just that. Whatever it takes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join