It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Record Breaking Sniper Shot in Iraq - Canadian Special Forces

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

It depends on many factors.

I would say around 14-16 feet above target. No idea about windage adjustment. I base this on previous long distance engagements at 1.5 miles where the adjustment for elevation was about ten-twelve feet.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

No. Much greater drop at that range. I don't have the sierra program on this mac, but this online ballistics program will give us a good idea of bullet drop. Flight time is over 7 seconds.

300 yard zero, 750 grain 50 BMG. 2820 fps muzzle

link

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ZaneDog

Revise upward then. He probably had to aim around 30 feet above his target based on the data you posted for the A-Max. I can't imagine it is too different from the match grade AP rounds typically used in these engagements.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Is the Us gonna bomb the canadian sniper now, like they blew up the syrian plane taking out ISIL? Or is the US still pretending to fight ISIL in some places still?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

No. 555 feet.
They might use a lighter bullet at a higher muzzle velocity, but it''s still going to be in the hundreds of feet.
The online calculator only gives me one load for 50 BMG.
It's simple physics, the flight time is over 7 seconds, objects fall a long ways in that time.
Bullet drop is not linear with distance, remember the formula for gravity 9.8 m/s2
It's a world record shot for a reason, it's extremely difficult.
Wonder if it was a one shot kill or if he was able to walk the rounds in.

edit on 23-6-2017 by ZaneDog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
Without the Second Amendment in the US the McMillan Tac-50 rifle these Canadians used would not have been there for them to make the shot.

This same rifle is used by the US Navy and is known as the MK 15 Mod 0 Sniper Rifle.

What are you Blabbering on about?

Countrys without 2nd amendments produce guns too.
The UK has a thriving arms industry.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Is it really appropriate to celebrate the intentional killing of another human being?

And what the hell is Canada doing in Iraq anyway? Must they follow the US into the imperialist quagmire?

It was ISIS.

1) they dont deserve to be called human beings.

2) the only good ISIS is a dead ISIS.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

my buddy is one of the best shots in the US he competes regularly in national competitons and finishes top 3 everytime.

He called BS on this.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Indeed.

I just don't see how he managed to even walk them in with so much elevation.

Was he in an elevated position? I do understand that bullet trajectories are parabolic. But I've never shot much over 800 meters. Everything beyond that requires skill that I simply don't have the time and money to learn.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I just don't see how he managed to even walk them in with so much elevation.

Conjured up a story for national pride? It's not like Guiness book verifies these kinds of things.

Here's an article on a 4200 yard shot placed onto a 3 foot target, I think it's the current record for a firearm.

Link

eta: You make a good point if he was shooting steep angle up or down it changes up the trajectory considerably.

edit on 23-6-2017 by ZaneDog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You make a good point if he was shooting steep angle up or down it changes up the trajectory considerably.

I honestly think he would have had to have been positioned higher than his target in order to see him at that distance to begin with.

The actual numbers are 605.25 feet of elevation at exactly 2 miles if he was on the ground with zero obstructions and flat terrain. It was just a bit over two miles so adjust accordingly.

That shot is, quite frankly, impossible to pull off without having been elevated.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Let me ask you this question, then you can go on opining as you will.

I wonder how many innocents that ISIS fellow had on his hands, and how many people will live long and fruitful lives because now they wont encounter him?

Hmmm...I wonder.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
That shot is, quite frankly, impossible to pull off without having been elevated.

He was elevated, but we do not know (publicly) how high he was in relation to the target.

The Canadian government is still determining whether they want more information to be released. Apparently this shot was documented from two angles.

Not that I am a fan of people dying, but I would love to see this. This is artillery ranges, not rifle ranges.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: intrptr

Big deal. Bombs made thousands of miles away in US factories travel by rail and ship, then aircraft to their targets, killing way more people at once than one bullet fired from one rifle.

Yaaay

When's the last time you hit a target at over 2 miles?

The level of skill required to do this is really amazing.

I've been a shooter for over two decades now and with all of my experience and training I still could never pull off something like this.

Very well put!! Something like this take hundreds if not thousands of hours of practice shooting as well as ballistics knowledge. I'm stoked to be hitting iron at 1200 yards with my .338 lapua. Farthest shot ever on a living animal was just under 600 yards years ago and I was shocked I hit him!!

edit on 23-6-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state that symbolically the sniper was elevated in more ways then just being on a high rise. By a higher will.Most High. For We Canucks stand on Guard For Him. To keep all of HIS lands free from evil or wrestle it from it.s grasp

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!"

GO CANADA!

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: St Udio

I am in the Its' Amazing concerning the record sniper shot...

the person firing had to anticipate the target movements for the duration of the bullet flight... and of course the spin, velocity, air drag, & factors: elevation & windage to strike the target...
see: goneoutdoors.com...

Same with every 'smart' weapon employed to murder people abroad in unjust wars.

Last response, flame away.
I'm a big fan of personal accountability. If they know they have the right bad guy...have at it. And no 'collateral damage'. Now, if he can get any of the arms merchants or financiers in his sights, our collective troops could get home a lot sooner!

originally posted by: toysforadults
my buddy is one of the best shots in the US he competes regularly in national competitons and finishes top 3 everytime.
He called BS on this.
I guess that explains why he is not THE best shot.
edit on 23-6-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: spelling matters, eh?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Not that I am a fan of people dying,

Yeah, ISIS aren't people. They are an infestation that should be eradicated until the last one is gone.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I know your comment was sarcasm, but war does however make men great. Men will give up their own lives to save their brothers in arms, jump on hand grenades or run over open ground through devastating fire to save a wounded comrade. It separates the men from the boys.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother,

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You whiney idiots realize that this shot was taken to avoid actually dropping bombs and killing innocents, right?

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
I'm the best shot that ever was......a .22 rifle gonna shoot that field lark flyin but I saw his shadow and kept swinging while looking at that shadow on the ground. but Irving Texas was in the background , couldn't afford to miss ...so I felt the shot , pulled the trigger the bird fell....and the bird had a hole in the middle of the black vee shape on his neck.....1968 North Irving on the Ben H Carpenter ranch by Las Colinas

But I hand over my pinball crown to him!

I shot a Canadian goose, mid flight, through the neck at 60+yrds with a .22 once.

Don't think I could do it again though.

I agree, he gets the crown.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join