It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Record Breaking Sniper Shot in Iraq - Canadian Special Forces

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Is it really appropriate to celebrate the intentional killing of another human being?

It is actually quite twisted when you think about it.

I think that when we read about this in the news we dont actually read it as being the story about how a human being died but more like how someone got a 30 kill streak in Call of Duty. Its like the actual human cost of this story is forgotten.

Its like the guy who died was just a bit of targeting paper or a can of soda sitting over 2 miles away.

To be clear I am not saying that members of ISIS should not be kiled for the threat they pose just that it is a bit strange to celebrate the death of another like this.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Reading up on the history of high-scoring WW2 snipers, you find a lot of these guys didn't go on to live very happy lives. There's a lot of alcoholism, suicides, mental illness, etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Reading up on the history of high-scoring WW2 snipers, you find a lot of these guys didn't go on to live very happy lives. There's a lot of alcoholism, suicides, mental illness, etc.

But PTSS isn't exclusive to snipers.

Look at many veterans from WW2, Vietnam, Iraq. Foot solders, pilots, even medics suffer greatly when sent back to the civilian life.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
@ OP - If I remember correctly, Canadian forces account for something like 4 of the 5 longest shots on record. Them's some shootin fellas, for sure.

3 out of 5.

UK (#2) and US (#5) round out the remainder of the top 5 list.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The shot is what is being celebrated. The fact that nobody mourns the end result of the shot isn't a celebration of the end result.

It would still be a hell of a shot whether it was a tin-can or a piece of paper. It just so happens that it was an IS fighter, and nobody feels bad about that.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

People don't think about all the pop shots that snipers take, the shots that maim and disfigure the enemy, or slowly kill. That also could weigh heavy on the mind of a sniper.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

Ah yes, a .50 cal rifle. Those have some crazy range.

The bullet has a velocity of up to 900m/s, can remain supersonic even after 2km.

Id prefeer a cheytech myself. Even greater range possible if the same sniper employed that one. But why not just make laser guided bullets instead?
DARPA has one they could field but its still in testing. It actually makes corrections in flight.

Also the tracking point system. could make all soldiers snipers in minutes. I fear the specialization is going to become normal soon.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Is it really appropriate to celebrate the intentional killing of another human being?

It is actually quite twisted when you think about it.

I think that when we read about this in the news we dont actually read it as being the story about how a human being died but more like how someone got a 30 kill streak in Call of Duty. Its like the actual human cost of this story is forgotten.

Its like the guy who died was just a bit of targeting paper or a can of soda sitting over 2 miles away.

To be clear I am not saying that members of ISIS should not be kiled for the threat they pose just that it is a bit strange to celebrate the death of another like this.

Actually the killing of that IS member intentionally saved someones life down the line. That is what should be celebrated. His death was necessary and as such was a clean kill.

Yes each target has a life and dreams or goals or some other things to do. Its just when you are going to end their lives its better to consider them as just a target and not as a person at that point.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

the term Sniper Shot identifies that the target item was selected/approved/deemed as worthy of being taken-out

the Olympic Target Shooting is a different thing entirely....

Enemies are fair game and need not be apologized for...the Sniper arrangement does not leave 'collateral damage' to nearby innocents as do Predator-Drone armaments do to wedding parties/funeral ceremonies or other gatherings where high value targets are sometime unguarded in the open

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

Big deal. Bombs made thousands of miles away in US factories travel by rail and ship, then aircraft to their targets, killing way more people at once than one bullet fired from one rifle.

Yaaay

When's the last time you hit a target at over 2 miles?

The level of skill required to do this is really amazing.

I've been a shooter for over two decades now and with all of my experience and training I still could never pull off something like this.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

When's the last time you mourned a roach you stepped on?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Yesterday. Had bagpipes playing and everything. Very solemn, brother.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Considering gravity, wind, human movement by the shooter and the target, even 1 mile is AMAZING to me.

TWO MILES? AWESOME!!!

Is there a video showing what a human looks like through the scope of a sniper two miles away? I can't even comprehend putting the crosshairs on a person and holding them steady on target at that distance!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Considering gravity, wind, human movement by the shooter and the target, even 1 mile is AMAZING to me.

TWO MILES? AWESOME!!!

Is there a video showing what a human looks like through the scope of a sniper two miles away? I can't even comprehend putting the crosshairs on a person and holding them steady on target at that distance!

Not only is there video, there is an actual game, called sniper elite. Apparently, apart from the actual reality of KILLING somebody, it is realistic.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Thanks. I'll go do a search to find the video.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

And what the hell is Canada doing in Iraq anyway? Must they follow the US into the imperialist quagmire?

How many lives would that IS devil go on to ruin and end?

This pig's death should be celebrated. And the man who pulled the trigger should be lauded for making the world a slightly better place.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
the IS terrorist was all over the place after the shot i hear. his arm was on a rock...his top half was by the bush...

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm the best shot that ever was......a .22 rifle gonna shoot that field lark flyin but I saw his shadow and kept swinging while looking at that shadow on the ground. but Irving Texas was in the background , couldn't afford to miss ...so I felt the shot , pulled the trigger the bird fell....and the bird had a hole in the middle of the black vee shape on his neck.....1968 North Irving on the Ben H Carpenter ranch by Las Colinas

But I hand over my pinball crown to him!
edit on 22-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: Coza

edit on 22-6-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I wonder how many feet above the target he had to aim?..I don't believe from that distance he had literal crosshairs on the target.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Without the Second Amendment in the US the McMillan Tac-50 rifle these Canadians used would not have been there for them to make the shot.

This same rifle is used by the US Navy and is known as the MK 15 Mod 0 Sniper Rifle.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join