It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Record Breaking Sniper Shot in Iraq - Canadian Special Forces

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A sniper with Canada’s elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,540 metres. That's 3.5 Kilometres or 2.2 Miles for my imperial friends.

Sources say a member of Joint Task Force 2 killed an Islamic State insurgent with a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq.

-The world record was previously held by British sniper Craig Harrison, who shot a Taliban gunner with a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle from 2,475 metres away in 2009.
-Previously, Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong had set the world record in 2002 at 2,430 metres when he gunned down an Afghan insurgent carrying an RPK machine gun during Operation Anaconda.
-Weeks before, Canadian Master Cpl. Arron Perry briefly held the world’s best sniper record after he fatally shot an insurgent at 2,310 metres during the same operation. Both soldiers were members of the 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry.

Canada's army may be small, but they're highly trained with advanced technologies. As a Canadian I thought this was really cool, so I decided to share it with ATS. There's more information about his mission and how they verified the shot in the article.

Link to article below: beta.theglobeandmail.com...: //www.theglobeandmail.com&

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: GokuVsSuperman0

Big deal. Bombs made thousands of miles away in US factories travel by rail and ship, then aircraft to their targets, killing way more people at once than one bullet fired from one rifle.

Yaaay

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If I am not mistaken that was the same rifle used to set the previous record.

Pretty interesting story, if only because its very rare to get any information about JTF2.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Holy smoke. 2.2 miles 😲 cant quite imagine how its possible. Must be an amazing professional plus some amazing weapon or a very lucky shot 😊 Totally amazing and a target worth taking out for a better world

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

That makes me very proud.
True north strong and free.

Our military is better and stronger than people think.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Big deal??

You try to make that shot.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Big deal??

"Ohhhh, Great Warrior. War does not make one great." Joda, The Empire Strikes Back

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I am in the Its' Amazing concerning the record sniper shot...

the person firing had to anticipate the target movements for the duration of the bullet flight... and of course the spin, velocity, air drag, & factors: elevation & windage to strike the target...
see: goneoutdoors.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

the person firing had to anticipate the target movements for the duration of the bullet flight... and of course the spin, velocity, air drag, & factors: elevation & windage to strike the target...

Same with every 'smart' weapon employed to murder people abroad in unjust wars.

Last response, flame away.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Soon everyone will be able to make that shot with no training, range time or even know anything about ballistics at all. And all this with their smart phone...

As a person who does a lot of long range shooting any of the shots listed are impressive... Even more impressive on a live target.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Candians and Brits make the best soilders in the world, our little Armies have built empires and toppled facist world powers together

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Go hug ISIS if you think they are so innocent.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

A quote from a movie??
LOL

I can quote a movie too..."I am here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I am all out of bubblegum"

Ok,carry on with your opinion.

link   
a reply to: St Udio

Don't bother. For some folks, all they can see is their own personal lens filter over everything. That's why feats of heroism and feats of skill never matter to them, because they should never have happened in the first place, ergo the focus must be shifted away from the event and on to how much America/The West/Whatever sucks.

@ OP - If I remember correctly, Canadian forces account for something like 4 of the 5 longest shots on record. Them's some shootin fellas, for sure.

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: intrptr

Go hug ISIS if you think they are so innocent.

Sorry but am calling you on that, posts like this really piss me off.

Where did that member state that ISIS were innocent???

I mean i get that you could disagree with him about this being murder in a unjust war, but say that, dont accuse someone of cosigning up to ISIS because you disagree with them, it just drains your credibility.
edit on 22-6-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Big deal??

LOL that's what i'm saying!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think that this is partially the result of a culture that calls guns "firearms" not "weapons".

I live in Canada, many of my friends have rifles/hand guns, they hunt and use them at the shooting range. Thy are firearm enthusiasts and collectors, but they are all greatly disturbed by the intensity of gun culture in america, where they are generally viewed as weapons not tools.

Just my random contribution.

Its a tragedy that anyone is fighting in the first place.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Is it really appropriate to celebrate the intentional killing of another human being?

And what the hell is Canada doing in Iraq anyway? Must they follow the US into the imperialist quagmire?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Ah yes, a .50 cal rifle. Those have some crazy range.

The bullet has a velocity of up to 900m/s, can remain supersonic even after 2km.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Is it really appropriate to celebrate the intentional killing of another human being?

And what the hell is Canada doing in Iraq anyway? Must they follow the US into the imperialist quagmire?

He shot a member of ISIS......................... Hats off to the guy. Every single one of them needs killing any way possible Well done Canadian
Hats off to you from Great Britain ISIS have played things at a different level and death to them is an agreeabe outcome to all fair minded people

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join