It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Shows Oliver Stone Fake Video of Russia Bombing Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
So I'm surprised nobody posted this yet.

So famous filmmaker Oliver Stone (Natural Born Killers, JFK, Snowden) was in Moscow shooting video for an upcoming special he has airing on Showtime about Putin.

In the video above, you can see Putin pull out a smart phone and he plays what he says is video of a Russian airstrike on Islamic State fighters in Syria. There's just one problem, according to US officials, not only is the video not of Russian fighter jets in Syria, but the video is actually of an American led airstrike in Afghanistan from 2009 (according to officials).

Below is the video that US officials say was the actual video that Putin showed Stone:

The interview was filmed last year, and is already available on Showtime (fortunately for me I subscribed to Showtime for Twin Peaks season 3, so I get to see the interview, yay).

This seems all too surreal, why would Putin show Oliver Stone a video of a US airstrike and say it was Russians fighting in Syria? The obvious answers would be, he's a liar, he's a hacker, he interfered in the US election, the Kremlin is colluding with Trump, etc.

Russian President's 'Fake Video' of Syria Strike In Oliver Stone Documentary Was Genuine, Kremlin Insists

The Kremlin has denied widespread allegations that Russian President Vladimir Putin showed U.S. director Oliver Stone a fake video of Russian airstrikes in Syria.

However, a Russian video published Tuesday pointed out strong similarities between the clip Putin played and footage from 2013 of a U.S. Apache helicopter firing at militants in Afghanistan. The striking similarities led people on social media to call the clip “fake” and suggest that the Russian president didn’t realize what he was showing was not his own forces.

The Kremlin responded forcefully to the claims, which have gone viral in Russia. Talking to news site Meduza, one of the first to report on the apparent similarity between the two videos, Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov said of the apparent mistake, “This is not the case… [It is] total nonsense.”

So Putin is doubling down on his claim that the video is genuine, citing that the video he showed Stone is similar to the US video from 2009, thus it was easily mistaken for the wrong video to the layman on the interweb.

Oliver Stone defends his documentary, and defends Putin:

Oliver Stone: He brought out a phone and he showed it to us and we filmed it, and he said this was [a Russian airstrike]. Why would he fake it? I mean, the Russians did very well in terms of damages to [the Islamic State] in Syria, they bombed the sh!t out of Syria. And they did destroy the financial ability of the [Islamic State] empire to run oil to Turkey. I think that was the main point.

Oliver Stone To Stephen Colbert: Vladimir Putin Has Been “Abused” In The Media

“What do you say to people who say this is a fawning interview with a brutal dictator?”

Stone, who spent 20 hours with Putin for the project, that’s debuting on Showtime, insisted, “You have to be polite, because this was a two-year deal” and Putin is a very busy man, working 12 hour days “for almost 16 years now.”

“It’s politeness, and it’s curiosity, and it’s the way you ask the questions. I think he respected me and respected my work, and he knew I would give him a fair hearing. And it wouldn’t be chopped up to pieces,” he added.

In a clip shown to viewers, Stone explains to Putin his potential sway over the presidential election in the United States and Putin responds, “Unlike many partners of ours, we never interfere within the domestic affairs of other countries,” adding, “That is one of the principles we stick to in our work.”

Here is Oliver Stone on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert:

Is Putin pulling the wool over Stone's eyes?

Or is this another CIA conspiracy set to undermine Putin's credibility?

Is Oliver Stone cozying up to a tyrant for political/financial gain?

I must admit, at face value this story seems to validate some of the allegations of Putin's (lack of) credibility, to an extent. We shall see how this pans out in due time.

Throw some mud at me, ATS.

edit on 6/22/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Here is Oliver Stone talking about his interview with Putin to Tucker Carlson:

Here is Oliver Stone on CBS This Morning:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
When he said unlike many partners of ours we never interfere within the affairs of other countries, we knew he was a liar.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Those are the obvious answers? Hahaha! Superman couldn't jump to those conclusions. Why would a world leader be showing some Hollywood guy video of an airstrike on his cell phone? Sounds more like he's messing with ol' Oliver.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

This seems all too surreal, why would Putin show Oliver Stone a video of a US airstrike and say it was Russians fighting in Syria? The obvious answers would be, he's a liar, he's a hacker, he interfered in the US election, the Kremlin is colluding with Trump, etc.

Obviously.

Yawn.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

When he said unlike many partners of ours we never interfere within the affairs of other countries, we knew he was a liar.

Well Russia is interfering in Syria right now, albeit with Assad's permission.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
CNN for the sheeple:

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Wait so we don't know what video he actually showed Stone? We just know what video U.S. officials told us Putin showed Stone? Considering our "officials" record of telling the truth, I'm going to go ahead and believe the 2 people that were actually there.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: XxitsTtimexX

Well you can watch the videos in my OP, and you can see Putin showing the video to Oliver Stone.

I've tried to compare them, but they appear to be one and the same.

The version that the US claims is the video Putin showed has a different timecode on it. Otherwise they appear to be the same video.

Mayhaps someone with experience in video analytics can take a stab at it and report back in this thread with their conclusion.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: XxitsTtimexX

Well you can watch the videos in my OP, and you can see Putin showing the video to Oliver Stone.

I've tried to compare them, but they appear to be one and the same.

The version that the US claims is the video Putin showed has a different timecode on it. Otherwise they appear to be the same video.

Mayhaps someone with experience in video analytics can take a stab at it and report back in this thread with their conclusion.

Yeah, that's not me but I will take another look when I get home from work and can actually watch them on a proper monitor.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

What's your point in telling me that?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Like Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin is first and foremost an actor playing a role. American cameras and optics have always been better than Russian cameras and optics, so if American video is better than Russian video, he will use American video and claim it is Russian. (In fairness, Russian clocks are better than American clocks.)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

What's your point in telling me that?

That his use of the word 'affairs' may be open to interpretation.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Putin isn't dumb enough to show a fake video of the US knowing most of the US will be watching this.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Putin isn't dumb enough to show a fake video of the US knowing most of the US will be watching this.

He thought we were dumb enough to vote for Trump, so what's your point?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

He thought we were dumb enough to vote for Trump, so what's your point?

When did he ever say that? You're pulling sh!t out of thin air.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

He's trying to imply the russian collusion.

Still hanging on to his hopes and dreams.

edit on 22-6-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Who knows how many bombing videos Putin has on his cellphone ? Maybe he just showed Stone the wrong one ... or his favourite.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Dumb enough to vote Trump or smart enough to keep Hillary out?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699

Dumb enough to vote Trump or smart enough to keep Hillary out?

There were more than two candidates. You could have had an actual Libertarian President if that's what people really wanted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join