It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Might Be Forced to Testify Under Oath About Trump University After All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
While many us may have forgotten about the ill-fated "Trump University", it appears that some of its former students have not. In an interesting twist of events, it seems that our current POTUS, Mr. Trump may have to actually testify under oath regarding the ongoing lawsuit:

President Donald Trump probably thought he had dodged a major threat – being forced to testify under oath and to produce confidential documents in pre-trial discovery in a civil law suit – when a trial judge approved a $25 million settlement of fraud claims against his Trump University.

That sure would have been great for Trump. No testimony under oath, no "discovery" that might reveal compromising documents/information about his business "ventures". And a cool 25 million? That apparently is worth it to Mr. Trump to not have to go under oath in a court of law.

But that settlement could shortly be overturned by the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals....

Wait -- what?! Who's doing this?

...by a challenger who has already won a preliminary scrimmage, and now has the backing of about a dozen law professors who agree with her legal arguments.

So this person has a small cadre of law professors backing her up? Well maybe there's some "teeth" to her claims...?

Plaintiff Sheri Simpson claimed that she was unlawfully prevented from opposing the proposed settlement when it was before the trial judge for his approval.

Such settlement objections are routinely considered by trial judges, and a denial of the objector’s claim can often provide the basis for an appeal.

Whoops! Isn't it ironic how the seemingly small "details" can sometime lead to bigger and bigger headaches? I have a feeling this one just might be a bit of a headache for The Don:

Simpson said she does want to be bound by the settlement so she can take Trump to court over the alleged fraud.

This would ordinarily permit her to force Trump to testify under oath as part of her pre-trial discovery, and also demand that he produce relevant but still secret documents. It was widely believed that Trump – who is known for generally refusing to ever settle – agreed to pay some $25 million to avoid just such an embarrassment.

That would certainly be quite the headache!

The article concludes with this:

Perhaps more importantly, about a dozen law professors have filed supportive amicus briefs saying she does have a legal right to opt out of the settlement.

If she wins, Trump may be forced to face her attorneys in pre-trial discovery, because the U.S. Supreme Court has held that even sitting presidents are not immune from civil law suits.

Link

And in the end, I'm sure Donald will lie under oath, Gingrich will somehow say how it's OK for a sitting POTUS to lie, and McCain will have some "strong words".

Just another day, folks.
edit on 21-6-2017 by Kettu because: mispelling

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Not even a little surprised...The 9th circus court you say...Color me shocked...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Not even a little surprised...The 9th circus court you say...Color me shocked...

What about circuses 1-8?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Oh it's from you again. I'll take this with a grain of salt. LOL Give it a rest already!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

If trump ripped people off than he deserves to pay. Shady business men are a cancer to our country and that needs to be addressed.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

He should have just hired Bill Clinton 10 million dollars to support it. You know, like other for-profit educational scams have done.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Perhaps more importantly, about a dozen law professors have filed supportive amicus briefs saying she does have a legal right to opt out of the settlement.

Lol.

Kettu, when you start an anti Trump thread I always have a look ... for laughs.

A dozen law professors ... lol, even the Ninth Circuit ... I agree with RickyD ... much ado about nothing.

And in the end, I'm sure Donald will lie under oath,

Yes of course you do, you could not be bi-partisan in a life boat!

Personally, this continued yapping just shows the real problem in the US. A fractured country it is. Reminds me of the Roman Senate just before the fall of Rome.

P

edit on 21/6/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

If trump ripped people off than he deserves to pay. Shady business men are a cancer to our country and that needs to be addressed.
just cause you might have been a sucker on a shady deal by no means includes Donald J Trump. In the future feature a real base to your argument.
edit on 21-6-2017 by HappyFisherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HappyFisherman

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

just cause you might have been a sucker on a shady deal by no means includes Donald J Trump. In the future feature a real base to your argument.

What argument? If trump is guilty and broke a law than he should pay. Do you not agree? Defending trump so hard you didn't realize I wasn't attacking him.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I don't really like this Trump guy, but from what I've seen in my life he's the least terrible leader we've had in a few decades.
I'm also not really a fan of capitalist dreams and huge corporations, and carrying on this first currency nonsense pipeline, and the corporatistation (sp?) Of education, government, and agriculture.

Having said that, anyone stupid enough to go to a university named after a real estate guy is probably someone who deserves to get screwed.

I know it's not easy growing up these days, but come on. I saw at an early age that "college" was a dumb # investment, even though I'm the first member in my family history to attend one.
Community college- half the price of a university, a tenth the price of some big wig name college, and I'm closer to retirement than anyone I've met within ten years of my age.

The system is broken, and everyone is busy blaming the players instead of fixing the rules that the game is played by.

Meanwhile the huge corporations that actually write those rules and consolidate power by the day, and nobody bats an eye.

But don't worry about that, keep hiring high priced lawyers to sue over perceived personal slights, like coffee that's too hot or Halloween rides that are too scary, in the name of free money.

What could possibly go wrong...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I see a lot of personal attacks aimed at me, but not anything of actual substance refuting this.

I suppose if you have beef with the 9th Circuit that kind of counts as "substance".

IANAL, but even I can see that this might seem at first glance a tiny thorn, but could quickly escalate into a weeping wound before anyone realizes it.

One of Trump's Achilles's heel is the secrecy surrounding his finances, and this very well could force his hand at exposing some of the details he's tried very hard to hide.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I see a lot of personal attacks aimed at me
'
Not at you . Rather the feeble attempts to try and find something on Trump. Like another member stated : Give it a rest.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I see a lot of personal attacks aimed at me
'
Not at you . Rather the feeble attempts to try and find something on Trump. Like another member stated : Give it a rest.

I guess I should just
like how the Tea Party and conservatives did during 8 years of Obama?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: HappyFisherman

Why?
Why should people not bring these kinds of articles?

Only articles that flatter trump are allowed now?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

So you don't want him held responsible ?
Why?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: pheonix358

So you don't want him held responsible ?
Why?

Because it's only wrong when the other team cheats. When their own team cheats, that's fine.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Trump University was the idea of Michael Sexton. If anyone should testify, it's Michael Sexton.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Trump will just testify he was paid so they could use his name (true) and he wasn't aware of day to day decisions (true) and he is strongly against any misdeeds done (who knows). They are already paying out a settlement correct? Not sure what the point of this is.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bender151

I don't see Bill Clinton being sued for millions by a bunch of people he ripped off. Of coarse typical trump supporter, point out Obama, Hillary, or Bill, and deflect from the topic....Trump U was a SCAM plain and simple. That's ok, maybe trump can re-open it for people like you. There really is one born every minute....

edit on 22-6-2017 by kurthall because: add

edit on 22-6-2017 by kurthall because: a

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
No billionaire will teach you how to become a billionaire. Even if they pay 30 grand for that course. Only the dumbest people went to that non credited university.

new topics

top topics

join