It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian "billboard" could rewrite history of hieroglyphs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The newly-discovered rock inscriptions show, from right to left, a bull's head on a pole, two storks back to back and an ibis in between them

Archaeologists from Yale and the Royal Museums of Art and History in Belgium have discovered an ancient Egyptian "billboard" that might turn back the clock on when the hieroglyphic writing system was thought to be introduced to the general population. The huge inscriptions date back to about 3,250 BCE, and show a form of writing that was thought to only be used by the ruling class at that time. The new writings were discovered on a hill in the desert of Elkab, which was a bustling area in ancient Egypt. While the hieroglyphs were widely known from tokens and labels at the time, it was thought that the written symbols were mostly used for bureaucratic purposes. But here they were, scrawled across a rock face along a well-traveled route like a road sign, indicating that the general public may have had access to writing earlier than previously thought. "This newly discovered rock art site of El-Khawy preserves some of the earliest — and largest — signs from the formative stages of the hieroglyphic script and provides evidence for how the ancient Egyptians invented their unique writing system," says John Coleman Darnell, Yale professor and co-director of the Elkab Desert Survey Project. "This also suggests that there is a much more expansive use of the early writing system than is indicated from other surviving archaeological material."
newatlas.com...

So the common man could actually read at that era??.. is this what's implied here, I mean writing at this era was supposed to be for the elites not a bunch of farmers and cow pokes. if so how was this being taught, the educated priestly caste was still in it's infancy and guarded knowledge tightly.
edit on 21-6-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Babble crap sorry
edit on 21-6-2017 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I am absolutely convinced there is much more buried in the sand in the middle east. The cradle outward will reveal secrets we will marvel over. Remember, upon modern era rediscovery of the trio and the weird hybrid, it was up to it's neck in sand. What else is buried in the sands of time.???

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

So the common man could actually read at that era??

They are pictographs so yes, many people could understand them just as most uneducated people since then could read road signs and numbers.

These could well have just been road signs that everyone knew.

"Yea mate! Just follow the signs of the bull's head until you get to the river, turn right until you cross the river and then keep following the bull's head until you reach the capitol."

P

edit on 21/6/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I think it's a little more involved than petroglyph at this point, these were hieroglyphs.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358 yes, and by the standards of the work in Egypt and the region, it was sorta crude compared to spectacular wall carvings. This is a clock mover, and I think an Egyptian child could have made that. Not downplaying it at all. I love this...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
a reply to: pheonix358 yes, and by the standards of the work in Egypt and the region, it was sorta crude compared to spectacular wall carvings. This is a clock mover, and I think an Egyptian child could have made that. Not downplaying it at all. I love this...

Yes it is crude certainly by later standard, but what's important is it represents sounds, not just showing the way to the big city or watering hole, one would have to know what each form meant sound wise to make sense out of it.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

so what does it say? cow brains and stork at ibis's.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

Am sure Byrd will sus that out for us.. sounds delicious tho

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of something like Rockfest.

So they had three bands?
edit on 22-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
First Egyptian Graffiti maybe. Some kid with a sharp object and a rock?

bally

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

"EAT AT JOES"

idk, could be?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm not downplaying this at all. Finds like this move the clock back each time. Rock carvers have to be trained and practice. Could explain this. But all of these symbols have meaning, not a translator, what could it mean knowing what some know at current tech? What could be next???

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Posibly?

"Bull, Stalk, Ibis man was ere 3,250 BCE" ?

Alternatively it may have been advertising for the local burger shop. Mmm flame grilled Ibis bugers with cheese?

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

rock carving yes , but mark making is as old as the hills
anyone can see something and scrawl graffiti to replicate it

children at the age of 3 can copy shapes and make marks
so its not hard

and to scratch something out on a rock doesnt take skill
just time and effort

so this may not even be by scribes it may be copied from scribe work by peasants

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
So the common man could actually read at that era??.. is this what's implied here, I mean writing at this era was supposed to be for the elites not a bunch of farmers and cow pokes. if so how was this being taught, the educated priestly caste was still in it's infancy and guarded knowledge tightly.

Still under investigation, but...

- this isn't writing but it is "semiotics." Anyone who can make lines with something can produce an image of something.
- the existence of signs that later became part of writing and evidence for the most ancient of Egyptian deities.
- people who don't write still produce rock art (the entire body of petroglyphs and pictographs here in America, done by Native Americans is a classic example.) The Native Americans, however, did not move beyond this.
- complex symbols of this type (which might be considered pre-writing) are found worldwide. They have meaning within their own cultures of the times (just like people today drawing an image of a Pokemon character... it means something only if you play Pokemon (are part of the Pokemon culture) - and someone who can't write could still draw Pikachu (for instance.))

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

Am sure Byrd will sus that out for us.. sounds delicious tho

(laugh!) I'll go with "barbeque at Tony Ibis's house - Bring Your Own Beer!"

More seriously, it may be a boundary marker for lands or a trail marker (as we can see on the Two Parrots trail in America that goes from New Mexico down towards Central America. More research needs to be done.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

"EAT AT JOES"

idk, could be?

I think so. In ancient Egyptian, The first ibis translate as " be, become a spirit, beneficial, useful, profitable.". The second ibis facing right seems to be related to a King/temple (anything king/temple/tomb related have right facing ibis). The bulls head on a stick translates as "water/ to drink" It might have been a sign post to a stream, mud hole or desert oasis. Maybe traders made money by selling mineral water?

Gardiner's sign list provides a rough translation (symbols match G25 and F10).
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I can translate it .
Tut got 32 votes harasy got 27
The next one uncoved will be harasy saying Egyptians were stupid

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
I can translate it .
Tut got 32 votes harasy got 27
The next one uncoved will be harasy saying Egyptians were stupid

No, the next one will say the Minoans hacked the election.

Harte

top topics

<<   2 >>

join