It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levitation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I read in a local newspaper last week that two Buddhist men have actually levitated 1 foot or more off the ground? I'm sorry I don't have a link for this, but if anyone has any information on this, please respond, because it said they actually levitated...which is pretty cool
Just wondering if anyone has info or any articles/links they can share

Thanks,

Mac

sky

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hi Mac223

Saw your post and thought you might be interested in this site on levitation!

www.themystica.com...

it does make some good reading

Sky

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Interesting topic Mac223, have looked into it myself a while ago, here's a link that I found, might help:

www.crystalinks.com...

blackwidow

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have a great respect for Buddhists in general. The monks even more so.

The active people of today's society would have a hard time believing (and even harder time attempting and succeeding at) levitation. Monks are able to do so (though it is rarely heard of) through enlightenment, and the true belief of "mind over matter". So many people in society today are so shallow that, even if they were to try to believe these things, they would still fail, for many reasons.

"If you believe they [the laws of gravity] do not exist, then they will not" -- a half-reared excerpt (which is probably misquoted) from Bulletproof Monk.

Anyway...yeah..
Go MONKS!

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Hey thanks for the answers, appreciate it. Gotta check out the links

-Mac

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I say this on my (private) website:

"Levitation is not raising one's body a few millimetres from a surface. It is raising one's mind a few trillion light years from one's body."

Visible acts of levitation are easily achieved by illusionists and magicians. I haven't met a Buddhist yet who is better than those.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Have you ever met a Buddhist Masked Avatar?

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Toltec

I have met thousands of Buddhists. I haven't seen one levitate, which is not to say they can't, just I haven't seen it.

I believe those that spend many years in spiritual training and self-awareness can do extraordinary things. I believe, for example, they might consciously (and then unconsciously) slow their heart rate to one beat per minute or less. I don't believe they will defy the boring and mundane physical law of gravity.

That's why maybe I look at levitation differently, a psychic phenomenon rather than a physical one.

Agree?

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You believe that size matters? Gravity is an obstacle, but it is simply a rule in a world where rules can be bent and perhaps broken.

Yoda and Luke:

Annoyed at the disturbance, Luke looks over at Artoo, who
is rocking urgently back and forth in front of him.
Artoo waddles closer to Luke, chirping wildly, then scoots
over the edge of the swamp. Catching on, Luke rushes to the
water's edge. The X-wing fighter has sunk, and only the tip of
its nose shows above the lake's surface.

LUKE: Oh, no. We'll never get it out now.

Yoda stamps his foot in irritation.

YODA: So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you
nothing that I say?

Luke looks uncertainly out at the ship.

LUKE: Master, moving stones around is one thing. This is totally
different.

YODA: No! No different! Only different in your mind. You must unlearn
what you have learned.

LUKE: (focusing, quietly) All right, I'll give it a try.

YODA: No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Luke closes his eyes and concentrates on thinking the ship
out.
Slowly, the X-wing's nose begins to rise above the water.
It hovers for a moment and then slides back, disappearing once
again.

LUKE: (panting heavily) I can't. It's too big.

YODA: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hm?
Mmmm.

Luke shakes his head.

YODA: And well you should not. For my ally in the Force. And a
powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy
surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...(Yoda pinches
Luke's shoulder)...not this crude matter. (a sweeping gesture) You must
feel the Force around you. (gesturing) Here, between you...me...the
tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and that
ship!

LUKE: (discouraged) You want the impossible.

Quietly Yoda turns toward the X-wing fighter. With his eyes
closed and his head bowed, he raises his arm and points at the
ship.
Soon, the fighter rises above the water and moves forward
as Artoo beeps in terror and scoots away.
The entire X-wing moves majestically, surely, toward the
shore. Yoda stands on a tree root and guides the fighter
carefully down toward the beach.
Luke stares in astonishment as the fighter settles down
onto the shore. He walks toward Yoda.

LUKE: I don't...I don't believe it.

YODA: That is why you fail.

Luke shakes his head, bewildered.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Oh no, he's quoting star wars

*puts head in hands and sighs*

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Protector

Precisely. There is as much truth in the Star Wars episode as in stories of Buddhists levitating a foot off the ground.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
George Lucus based much of his Star Wars theology on common religions, such as Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism, Christianity, etc.

I just thought the excerpt was a good way to open your mind to the idea that there is more to life than what your eyes see. This, science has proven.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Protector

I just thought the excerpt was a good way to open your mind to the idea that there is more to life than what your eyes see. This, science has proven.

Agreed Protector and well said.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yes.

Star Wars was based on Buddhism and ATS is based on Star Wars.

My mind is opened. I see it now.

If only I could get a Buddhist Dial-A-Levitator to come over and demonstrate, it's cold and wet and I've been away from civilization for a week and I don't want to go out and find one for myself. Central heating kind of makes you comfortable and lazy. Like Buddha.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Protector

I did indeed enjoy looking through that site.

Buddhists I know spend a lot of time helping others and themselves on their self-selected path to enlightenment.

I've never met any who worked at the Nijmegen High Field Magnetic Lab, or any monks who've ever made enough capital to replicate the equipment.

Moreover, none of them satisfy the levitational conditions defined by the balance between the magnetic force F = MB and gravity mg = V g where m is the material density, V is the volume and g = 9.8m/s2. The magnetic moment M = (/ �0)VB so that F = (/�0)BVB = (/2�0)VB2. Therefore, the vertical field gradient B2 required for levitation has to be larger than 2�0 g/. Molecular susceptibilities are typically 10-5 for diamagnetics and 10-3 for paramagnetic materials and, since is most often a few g/cm3, their magnetic levitation requires field gradients ~1000 and 10 T2/m, respectively.

I would be thrilled to see a Buddhist levitate in my lifetime. Really.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
All that pretty writing (actually it is sloppy) says that you can use a magnetic field to atomically oppose gravity. The body also gives off an electromagnetic field. Granted, our fields are not nearly that powerful, but why say that our potential to levitate is impossible?

That guy got ripped off on the equipment. I could give him a few refridgerator magnets, an AC cord, and some floss then probably rig up something to at least make that frog walk on water... but then what's the point of a government grant if you can't spend big?

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Not all Buddha's (Hands of God) were fat Masked Avatar the skinny one is called the Black Buddha.

Personally, what I believe is anything we can and do. But as of yet do not under- stand will eventually have a very long name.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 28-6-2003 by Toltec]

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The human body has the power to heal itself of any kind of illness. The mind is a powerful tool. Very very powerful. We are more electromagnetic in nature than chemical beings. Us being luminous is well called for on Yoda's part.

When the mind does not care it can do anything. Even anger is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Hell. One of my friends got REAL pissed off and angry after getting off the phone from his GF....He punched a metal stainless steel sink but erm...his hand went through it. the metal didn't stop his hand. And he isn't that big. he tried it again later on though not being angry and couldn't punch through it and hurt his hand real good. But the first punch he did when he punched throught he sink...didn't hurt his hand much at all.

If oyu dont understand that the mind has power.....let me tell you something....you are better off learning that it does. Hell. A 70yr old grandma lifted upa semi trailer off her grand-daughter to get her from out underneath it.

It's not jsut adrenaline. It's mind over matter.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Indeed, good post.

This is true, the mind is more powerful than the physical realm. Making reference to the Christian faith, when you die your physical "body" does not pass on, only your mind. This in some sense does tell us that the mind is more powerful than the body. An average human being only uses 10% of the brain. This leaves a whole lot to be imagined. I do believe that your friend very well could have punched through that metal, no doubt. (Especially after what happened to him
)

BTW: Masked Avatar, It sickens me to think you could hate a religion like that. Saying, Bhudda is too fat! That is insulting, and hell, if you said that to a Buddist monk, he would probably kick your ass. Anything is possible, why do you think that a monk couldn't do it? Especially after training for 50 years, as said in the article.

-Peace

-Mac

top topics

<<   2 >>

join