It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'Used Fake News and Propaganda' to Undermine U.S. Election, FBI Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
So they're blaming RT. Lol. Those evil Russians must be stopped!

WHERE was RT mentioned?
You MAKE the CLAIM... be prepared to back it UP...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I guess we should outlaw freedom of speech so the DNC can win an election again is what I get out of this story.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: DanteGaland

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: DanteGaland
So the Russians must be trying to emulate the US main stream media, putting out fake stories to try to change the minds of voters.

And those FAKE stories?

Constitute the "ALT-MEDIA".

kinda like when Obama and his cabinet were planning to not turn over power and invoke some nonsensical non-existent law to make him stay in 'power'.
that rubbish was all over AJ and the alt-right outlets and scores of YouTube whistle blowers...

Those of us with longer memories can remember back to when George W Bush was leaving office, and left-wingers everywhere were absolutely convinced that he was going to suspend the constitution and declare himself President for Life.

That's a standard rumor/fear that pops up every time there's a transfer of power in Washington.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Your OP says they used fake news and propaganda. Gee I dunno how I could have possibly linked that to RT. Derp!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I'll play.

Let's say this is 100% true, what do we do, go to war, sanctions?

SANCTIONS are a start...

PUTIN knows he can't WIN a military war. His nation is CRUMBLING due to the rampant oligarch corruption.

PSY-OPS are the only tenable option at his disposal.

I guess we will have to impose sanctions against the Pope and the Catholic church as well then, for suggeting Trump was not a real christian.

And then there is Carlos Slim, Mexican politicians and media who tried to influence the election.

Merkel and the german press... I think we will end up isolated after imposing sanctions on everybody who attacked Trump with bs claims.
edit on 21-6-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
How is "fake news and propaganda" considered hacking?

Computer hacking refers to the practice of modifying or altering computer software and hardware to accomplish a goal that is considered to be outside of the creator's original objective. Those individuals who engage in computer hacking activities are typically referred to as “hackers.”

So how are these "hackers" spreading fake news and propaganda?

Are they using exploits, malware, brute force? What methods are these "hackers" employing?

Using the web and social media to spread fake news and propaganda is as much hacking as a 12 year old
typing "you've been hacked" on their parents Facebook page that is still logged in.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Is this saying that Russia is actually the ones starting all of this fake news? Are they spinning things up so the MSM actually blows up and twists everything? Have they got into the minds of the younger journalists and brainwashed them?

Ok, they are now trying to destabalize our whole government by firing up the Democrats. Too bad politicians and news agency people are so blind.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Right. The public were swayed by Macedonian content farms run by a bunch of teenagers in the Balkans. Of course, they do not mention the fake news farms in the US, some of whom were just trying to make Trump supporters look stupid. . Look how well that turned out.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: abago71

They GAINED info on WHO you are and WHAT political leaning you are.

THEN they microtargeted you with FAKE NEWS on your social media.

That's ONE way they went about it...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: abago71
How is "fake news and propaganda" considered hacking?

Computer hacking refers to the practice of modifying or altering computer software and hardware to accomplish a goal that is considered to be outside of the creator's original objective. Those individuals who engage in computer hacking activities are typically referred to as “hackers.”

So how are these "hackers" spreading fake news and propaganda?

Are they using exploits, malware, brute force? What methods are these "hackers" employing?

Using the web and social media to spread fake news and propaganda is as much hacking as a 12 year old
typing "you've been hacked" on their parents Facebook page that is still logged in.

You make a great point.

The fact that the article attempts to lump in allegations of hacking (with again no proof) with the spreading of fake stories shows they are desperate.

Hacking would be a serious allegation. But the article claiming that Russia attempted to influence americans through online posting fake news, and somehow this is a serious matter is a joke.

They are literally implicating every foreign news source then that took a stance on a candidate, let alone domestic media.

Its an absolute joke!

If these democrats are so concerned about fake news, why aren't they arresting anyone at the NYT for their Feb. 14th story that was spread to her Trump, that comey admitted was a lie.

No this is another example of just trying to smear Russia and Trump in any way possible.

But yesterday was a bad day for the dems, so theey had to change the news cycle.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

a reply to: abago71

They GAINED info on WHO you are and WHAT political leaning you are.

THEN they microtargeted you with FAKE NEWS on your social media.

That's ONE way they went about it...

You mean like Facebook and a million other companies do?

Oh no!!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Russia has been doing this since the beginning of the Cold War but for some reason it became a big deal when Trump won.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just thinking...Hope I won't get arrested during my next trip to the US for posting some smileys here with accusations of being a Russian hacker, 'coz the evidence is clear: I'm Russian (that's gonna be enough soon), I have a computer device (definitely, it's a hacking tool), and I've posted smileys (that's an interference beyond doubt).

Hope they won't buzz my plane at least...
edit on 2017 by JedemDasSeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Don't attack my echo chamber.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Another leftist-push piece by the long time leftist propaganda rag, Time Magazine, otherwise referred to by many as Slime Magazine.......and citing the deep state's all so trustworthy FBI.

No. Nothing there. And influencing minds? Who's the greatest influencer or should I say programmer of minds in the US today? CNN, MSNBC, and the rest of the leftist MSM. The Russians wouldn't have had a prayer up against that lot.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

And you don't think, for one minute, that people recognize that its targeted fake news? You do understand that most people just keep scrolling past the dross, don't you?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Either the Russians did not produce propaganda which influenced the elections or they did and the MSM knowingly pushed Russia's fake news enough to influence the election, which would of course make that collusion between the MSM and Russia.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'd like to see a single example of Russian state sponsored propaganda which was put online that numerous Americans got a hold of that was pro Trump.

Just one, all I ask.

In fact, the only example I can think of out of Russia was the peegate thing where someone reported Trump hired prostitutes to piss on the bed Obama slept on, which of course would be a negative Trump story meant to help Hillary.

edit on 21-6-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Had Trump been targeted and Clinton won, the Orange Minions would be losing their collective minds at any hint of Russian interference.
As it stands, there's a collective 'meh' from the Right. When did their politics replace their principals? Shameful.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Had Trump been targeted and Clinton won, the Orange Minions would be losing their collective minds at any hint of Russian interference.
As it stands, there's a collective 'meh' from the Right. When did their politics replace their principals? Shameful.

Why has it become an issue now considering Russia has been doing this for a long time?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join