It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'Used Fake News and Propaganda' to Undermine U.S. Election, FBI Says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
WELL...

This time it ISNT an "un-named source". I suppose since this ISNT some basement-dweller's BLOG it's not "credible". The FAKE NEWS sadly appears to be the very news MANY greedily guzzle down!

(WASHINGTON) — Current and former government officials painted a sinister portrait Wednesday of Russian cyberattacks on the United States aimed at interfering in the U.S. presidential election last year. Moscow stockpiled stolen information and selectively disseminated it during the campaign in an effort to undermine the legitimacy of the American political process, they said.

REMEMBER ...

Russian hackers targeted 21 U.S. states during election: US official

Russian hackers targeted 21 U.S. states' election systems in last year's presidential race, a Department of Homeland Security official told Congress on Wednesday.

"As of right now, we have evidence that election-related systems in 21 states were targeted," Manfra told the Senate Intelligence Committee, which investigating Russia's meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Systems were breached in a smaller number of states, she said, but did not give a specific figure.

Department officials had said about 20 states had been probed by hackers working on behalf of the Russian government, but recent news media reports had suggested the number could have been far higher.

And WHAT did they do? According to TIME:

The Russians “used fake news and propaganda and they also used online amplifiers to spread the information to as many people as possible,” Bill Priestap, the FBI’s top counterintelligence official, told the Senate Intelligence committee.

Like armies of BOTS and FAKE NEWS "blogs"?

If you can influence minds you DONT need to alter votes. It's also a LOT easier to hide psychological propaganda and DISMISS it with plausible deniability if accused.

“In 2016 the Russian government, at the direction of (President) Vladimir Putin himself, orchestrated cyberattacks on our nation for the purpose of influencing our election — plain and simple,” Johnson said.

But hey, it's only your MIND that's at stake here!!

“I believe the Russians will absolutely try to continue to conduct influence operations in the U.S.,” which will include cyberattacks, Priestap said.

TIME

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland
So the Russians must be trying to emulate the US main stream media, putting out fake stories to try to change the minds of voters.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So "officially" the govt is telling us not to believe everything online?

No way.....

Didn't state farm tell us that years ago????

+3 more 
link   

Weren't most of the news stories Anti-Trump? Are these officials stating that Russia attempted to influence voters away from Trump? I'm confused.

link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
So the Russians must be trying to emulate the US main stream media, putting out fake stories to try to change the minds of voters.

And those FAKE stories?

Constitute the "ALT-MEDIA".

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I'll play.

Let's say this is 100% true, what do we do, go to war, sanctions?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SammyB0476

Weren't most of the news stories Anti-Trump? Are these officials stating that Russia attempted to influence voters away from Trump? I'm confused.

NO. Most were FAKE stories about PAID PROTESTERS and PRO-Trump. The alt-media rise wasn't ORGANIC at all.

Russia certainly DIDN'T influence the American 'MSM'....

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I'll play.

Let's say this is 100% true, what do we do, go to war, sanctions?

SANCTIONS are a start...

PUTIN knows he can't WIN a military war. His nation is CRUMBLING due to the rampant oligarch corruption.

PSY-OPS are the only tenable option at his disposal.

link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

And those FAKE stories?

I didn't realize that MSNBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and Reuters were being referred to as ALT-MEDIA now.

link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland

And those FAKE stories?

kinda like when Obama and his cabinet were planning to not turn over power and invoke some nonsensical non-existent law to make him stay in 'power'.
that rubbish was all over AJ and the alt-right outlets and scores of YouTube whistle blowers...
edit on 21-6-2017 by odzeandennz because: and of course plastered all over ATS daily...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'll say it AGAIN...

If Russia was creating FAKE NEWS.

It wasn't through American MSM outlets...

Use yer thinkin' caps ATS...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ok.

Even if true, Hillary still lost.
Millions of Americans did NOT want her in office.
So what's the issue here?
The entire election was a giant smear campaign against Trump, and he won. What does that tell you? The Russians wanted Hillary to win but used tactics to make Trump look bad?

I'm not sure I see the point here....

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Why is the russians spreading fake news stories to benefit Trump any worse than the media working with the DNC to cheat Bernie and to spread anti trump stories?

How about the BBC and all of their anti Trump spin?

So if russia uses social media or RT to spread stories (many of which were true) about how horrible Hillary is, thats interfering with elections.

But if the BBC, or CNN, or MSNBC, does it against Trump, that is perfectly legitimate?

Your artcle mentions Russians stockpiling information and selectively releasing it.

You mean like the Billy Bush tapes? Oh wait, I forgot, its ok for the US (or UK) media to collude with a candidate.

So lets got through what you stellar source says.

1. Same old Russians hacked business, with again nor proof whatsoever offered.

2. An admission that there is no proof any votes were altered.

In the end, Johnson said, “To my current knowledge, the Russian government did not through any cyber intrusion alter ballots, ballot counts or reporting of election results. I am not in a position to know whether the successful Russian government-directed hacks of the DNC and elsewhere did in fact alter public opinion and thereby alter the outcome of the presidential election.”

3. Claiming that Russia used media to spread stories that favored Trump. Somehow this is a problem when Russia does it, but not when the majority of the US media and world media smears trump 24/7. Not to mention we have proof the DNC was actively colluding with the media to influence the election.

So nothing new at all.

Looks like the Times is trying to change their liberal narrative from how the Georgia election was going to be a referendum on Trump.

Keep pushing the Russia stuff though. It has been working so well!

edit on 21-6-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Moscow stockpiled stolen information and selectively disseminated it during the campaign in an effort to undermine the legitimacy of the American political process, they said.

"Stolen" does not mean "fake." Can they provide specific examples of widely-disseminated stories that were fake?

I mean, besides the Steele Dossier, and other anti-Trump stories. Those fake stories were very widely disseminated.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So what's the takeaway supposed to be here? That the U.S. government doesn't like competition?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So they're blaming RT. Lol. Those evil Russians must be stopped!
edit on 21-6-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok
Ok.

Even if true, Hillary still lost.
Millions of Americans did NOT want her in office.
So what's the issue here?
The entire election was a giant smear campaign against Trump, and he won. What does that tell you? The Russians wanted Hillary to win but used tactics to make Trump look bad?

I'm not sure I see the point here....

but not only that, the WikiLeaks emails proved once and for good the level of corruption rampant in the DNC

link   
Great quotes, Dante, I've just heard it on FOCKS, it really made me laugh here in Moscow.))

link   
a reply to: Grambler

So if russia uses social media or RT to spread stories (many of which were true)

Yes. Like the stories of paid protestors.
Soros money paid for them.

link   

So you want sanctions against russia because they published a more sophisticated onion website?
seriously?

stupid is as stupid does

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join