It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very interested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I am very interested in the freemasonry and was wondering if anyone had anymore information about it that would help my decison on joining or not thank you...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Hi,
Here are some links that may help you.

web.mit.edu...

www.jerseymason.org.uk...

acnv.viawest.net...

I'm not a mason myself, however there are quite a few of them on ATS,
with any luck they may even reply to this with more info than I can give you

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is a great place to start, my friend. Enjoy.

www.masonicinfo.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
irirish1986, I too have flirted with the idea for a while now. I am already involved with more charitable organizations than I have time for but something about the idea of having access to literature not accesible to the general public keeps me interested. I havent really found much info about things like this though. been a little gunshy to ask the masons here. not sure how much they are allowed to divulge & some just get downright defensive & nasty.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalmessiah
irirish1986, I too have flirted with the idea for a while now. I am already involved with more charitable organizations than I have time for but something about the idea of having access to literature not accesible to the general public keeps me interested. I havent really found much info about things like this though. been a little gunshy to ask the masons here. not sure how much they are allowed to divulge & some just get downright defensive & nasty.

First of all, we nobody gets defensive and nasty until you start accusing us of absolute nonsense and demonstrating ignorance about the subject. You can ask us anything you want and we will tell you just about everything you want to know, short of our rituals and modes of recognition. Masons on this forum are always willing to teach someone who wants to learn about the Craft.

Second, we do not have any sort of access to literature not accessible to the general public. I don't know where you picked up that gem of information but I can guarantee you that you can find ANYTHING you want to know about Freemasonry in thousands of books that have been published ever since the 1800s.

Lastly, I would suggest that before deciding to do anything, you do RESEARCH. And I'm not talking about research on conspiracy websites... i mean REAL RESEARCH. You can find great links to tons of legitimate masonic websites where you will learn everything you may want to know about the fraternity.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by metalmessiah

...something about the idea of having access to literature not accesible to the general public keeps me interested.

The only literature we have that could be misconstrued as secretive is our ritual. But this has been discussed left, right and centre and is probably read more by non-masons than it is by Masons themselves!!!

Unfortunately, we don't have any secret literature. In fact the literature that we rely on the most is probably the oldest book available to everyone - the Bible. I certainly do believe that there are some secrets in there though!!!

So no libraries of Egypt. No keys to Atlantis. No Mayan calender blueprints.

I guess a lot of Freemasons would get defensive if you kept asking them if there is secret literature when they know that there isn't. They might even get "nasty" if you persist in not believing their truthful answer.
But if you are truly interested in joining, ask yourself why. If it is purely for an imagined power that you believe that you will receive from non-existent literature I'm afraid that you are onto a loser.
If you really are interested in Freemasonry, take a look at the links that the guys have already posted in this thread. But don't go too into depth on the conspiracy theory side yet. When joining Freemasonry you will need an open mind, free of insinuations. Why? Well this is because you are responsible for your own beliefs. Reading too much on the subject can force you to form an opinion before you have even joined. Once you do join, you will also be able to look at both sides of any argument on the subject, whereas at the moment you can only contemplate the one side. Reading too much will also spoil the beauty that is found in the process of becoming a Mason.

If you really feel that you need more information regarding the background of the Order and it's purpose, contact the Secretary of the Lodge local to you. You'll need to meet him at some stage anyway and he will probably be more than happy to talk with you. Why get your information from a book when you can get it straight from the source?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
For general information on freemasonry the following links may be of use (In addition to those already given in this thread)

The United Grand Lodge of England may be found at www.grandlodge-england.org...

Grand Lodge of Scotland www.grandlodgescotland.com...

Grand Lodge of Ireland www.irish-freemasons.org...

‘The Web of Hiram’ www.bradford.ac.uk... run by the University of Bradford. It is a good website and contains extracts of old Masonic rituals. The full rituals of the Freemasons are available elsewhere on the internet. Be careful though, if you delve too deeply into such matters it may spoil it for you if you do decide to join.

After you have been initiated, if you would like to make comparisons with Masonic rituals and Mormon Endowment ceremonies. If so then try here www.helpingmormons.org...

Rather than join the regular masons, you may like to consider joining a Co-Masonic organisation. These admit bote men and women into their ranks some also admit atheists. ‘Le Doit-humain’ is the oldest and the largest Co-Masonic fraternity www.droit-humain.org...

You may know that there are several orders of women masons such as ‘The Honourable Fraternity of Ancient Freemasons’ www.hfaf.org...
It seems that they are just like the 'regula' masons except that they are only open to women.

There are a great many good books available also. You may like to start with ‘Freemasons Guide and Compendium’ by Bernard E. Jones. This is a very readable book and will introduce you to the history and symbolism of the freemasons.

‘The Pocket History of Freemasonry’ by Fred L. Pick, Norman G. Knight and Fredrick Smyth, is an excellent book.

‘World Freemasonry’ by John Hamill and RA Gilbert is a beautifully llustrated history of freemasonry from the ‘indirect’ school.

A another good book is ‘Symbolism in Craft Freemasonry’ by Colin Dyer. This examines Masonic symbolism from an historical perspective.

‘Beyond the Craft’ by Keith B. Jackson is a good introduction to the so called ‘higher degrees’. No secrets or rituals here just an appetite wetter.

The 'Oxford Rituals of the Craft' (with sutable ommitons) are avalable in print and may be obtained from most good book shops in the UK

Hope this helps you irirish1986

[edit on 21-2-2005 by pignut]

top topics

join