It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Meth Addiction Leading to Rotting Teeth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The problem of tooth decay and gum disease among methamphetamine users has become such a problem for jails and prisons that dental services have had to be increased to deal with the problem and, in some cases, routine dental care has had to take a backseat to the more acute problems caused by meth use. The highly toxic chemicals used to make meth cause glands in the mouth to secrete less saliva and it is saliva that helps to keep the mouth clean and reduces the effects of bacteria. In the case of one individual, even brushing four or five times per day and flossing could not prevent his tooth loss.

www.comcast.net
The growing use of highly addictive methamphetamine throughout the country is creating a prominent scar on an increasing number of users _ rotting, brittle teeth that seem to crumble from their mouths.

Methamphetamine can be made with a horrid mix of substances, including over-the-counter cold medicine, fertilizer, battery acid and hydrogen peroxide. Together, the chemicals reduce a user's saliva, which neutralizes acids and physically clears food from the teeth, said Dr. Eric Curtis, an Arizona-based spokesman for the Academy of General Dentistry.

"When the saliva isn't flowing, the bacteria build up a lot faster," said Dr. Darrell Morton, an Atlanta dentist.

Jeffery Lotshaw flossed regularly. He brushed faithfully, sometimes four or five times in a day.

All that care makes his condition seem incomprehensible _ at the age of just 33, Lotshaw's grin is toothless. His teeth all broke apart, tarnished with yellow and black.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I doubt that a million articles like this one will prevent the tragic results of meth use. I have no personal experience with this drug, but as a Social Worker, I have seen the effects that it has on the users and, most especially, their children. I thought the effects of crack coc aine were pretty bad when I worked with the homeless and saw how rapidly people would lose control of their lives along with their families and possessions. Meth seems to be much worse, as the process by which this drug is produced is so dangerous that cops who are detailed to make the lab busts have begun to show chronic medical conditions, as a result.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.nola.com

[edit on 05/2/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Yes Meth is bad stuff. I can attest to that from dealing with so-called "Meth Heads". They mostly only pose a danger to themselves though and should not be treated as criminals but as medical patients who have a major mental disease. Actually scratch that they do pose a danger as I just remembered something called "Meth Rage" , sorta like "Coke Rage" but due to the wasting effects of the drug is not that dangerous in a fist fight, allthough add in a Shank or Gun and things could get bloody. Another problem that is striking is something called Oxycontin. Alot like heroin yet it can be obtained through a prescription. In order to get the Heroin like effects one needs to "cook" it, then inject it. People have died because of this, and it comes from doctors legally prescribing it...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Methamphetamine is an enzyme. An enzyme allows chemical reactions to occur faster. Because of the enzymatic nature of the chemical, all nutrients will be consumed faster then normal. Such is the nature of this chemical. Since all nutrients are consumed in an increased fashion, the body is left to operate without proper sustenance; in the case of this article, calcium gets used up as a maintenace of teeth. IMO, I believe a study of bone structure effected by meth would provide similar results.

BTW, the enzymatic trait of meth is what qualifies it as a stimulant.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Double edit: That's not to mention the affect sleep deprivation has on an individual psyche.............some are more violent than others...........depends on the individual.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by MemoryShock]

[edit on 6-2-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Brushing four or five times a day and flossing?!

It's no wonder he lost his teeth. Most people either brush too much or too hard, that causes a reduction in enamel. If the meth eats enamel also, they're just compounding the problem. It appears though that the meth doesn't eat enamel, rather it reduces saliva, so.. chew gum or suck on a button, don't become obsessive about brushing your teeth.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yes Meth is bad stuff. I can attest to that from dealing with so-called "Meth Heads". They mostly only pose a danger to themselves though and should not be treated as criminals but as medical patients who have a major mental disease. Actually scratch that they do pose a danger as I just remembered something called "Meth Rage" , sorta like "Coke Rage" but due to the wasting effects of the drug is not that dangerous in a fist fight, allthough add in a Shank or Gun and things could get bloody. Another problem that is striking is something called Oxycontin. Alot like heroin yet it can be obtained through a prescription. In order to get the Heroin like effects one needs to "cook" it, then inject it. People have died because of this, and it comes from doctors legally prescribing it...

What about that guy who stole that tank and went all over the city crushing cars and such? He was on Meth! lol

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
CmptrN3rd5 re-read my post. I achknoledged "Meth Rage"

"Yes Meth is bad stuff. I can attest to that from dealing with so-called "Meth Heads". They mostly only pose a danger to themselves though and should not be treated as criminals but as medical patients who have a major mental disease. Actually scratch that they do pose a danger as I just remembered something called "Meth Rage" , sorta like "Coke Rage" but due to the wasting effects of the drug is not that dangerous in a fist fight, allthough add in a Shank or Gun and things could get bloody."

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The Meth. problem here in S.W. Va. is akin to a pandemic. Its relative low cost and given the fact that you do not have to be a rocket scientist to make it, make it a true problem. This stuff is reaking havoc and driving up the cost of medical care in our region at an alarming rate due to the relative ease of finding the raw products needed for production. I have heard that due to its enormous effect it is having, that stores such as Walmart will begin putting these raw products ( Sudafed, and other products that contain Dextramathorphin) behind the counter requiring the average non-abusing person to sign for them. I don't know why this scurge is racing across the country, but given the demagraphics no area or region is immune from it's effects. I have seen the effects it presents with the abuser. Missing teeth, malnurishement, sleep deprivation, and the mental disorders including "Meth. Rage" are all horrible in their own right. And to address the Oxycontin issue: Oxycontin is unable to to blow up a room or home, but it's effect of abuse is very similar to Meth. It is pretty easy to get by faking a back injury or other such means. I wonder and would like some feedback from others here on this thread if they think this could be due to the nature of our economy showing that the lower rungs on the social ladder are beginning to crumble. Or, could it be related to the fact that our society is just is just not willing to help those who are in need such as the homless, and those who have a substance abuse problems.? I know for a fact that the Meth. problem is making the number of homeless people here in Va. to skyrocket. All of the shelters are busting at the seams and most of the people who work with these abusers are saying it is due to the explosion of Meth. All of the public services that are in place to deal those who have abuse problems are starting to run out of resources themselves. What I am going to say next I do not want taken out of context and I am in no means a racest, but the explosion of illegal Spanish immagrants in our region is a big piece of the problem. They are taking tons of jobs away from those who are indegious to the area. They are willing to work for much less than the avg. pay and and just draining the medical services. I overheard a R.N. friend of mine a few weeks ago and she said that they ( the Mexican women) are getting pregnant on purpose so they know their children will be legal Americans. Just some observations from a concerned true and legal American.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Meth causes tooth decay? Gee, all you had to do was go to Kingman AZ to figure that out...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
with first hand experience with the drug i can tell you that yes it is as bad as it sounds. the effects can be absolutely horrific, almost everyone i now in my area has tried it at least, and i know tons more who do smoke it on a regular basis as well as sell large quantities. highest rate of use would have to be from asians/mexicans, whites usually stick to good ol mary jane.

for some reason when you smoke your jaw clamps up like a vice, one time i was so thuroughly tweeked i nearly bit my toung off, and i also have reacuring dreams that my teeth are falling out?! good thing i stopped, havnt smoked for 5 months and never felt better

ive stumbled upon an even more serious addiction; World of Warcraft

[edit on 6-2-2005 by sturod84]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
the positive side is that it's made in america! No longer money flows out the country to columbian/peruvian cokebarons or to opiumterrorists in Afghanistan/Iran, Meth should become a mandatory substance in the next Patriot act, support your economy, united we tweak!

for health reasons, calsium/magnesium and B-12 should be added.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Not just calcium and magnesium, another really important one is Potassium. That's one of the most critical components, and the body processes it quite rapidly so a lot of it ends up in the toilet bowl.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

ive stumbled upon an even more serious addiction; World of Warcraft

Oh boy you don't know the half of it
Horde or Alliance? FYI Battlefields are coming out middle of march

[edit on 6-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
level 20 paladin, my name is undeadorcman

top topics

join