It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think I could be an electrician?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I am an electrical contractor, 35 year running my own company in Tennessee.After all this time I still love my job.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I did my apprenticeship (gumby) in 1992 by simply working with a licensed Journeyman electrician for 3 years...then took my electrical certification test through Washington State to receive my license. Some states have different requirements so take a look.

It takes a lot of hard work as anything worthwhile should but can lead to many opportunities. Just check your state requirements and call a local electrician and ask some questions.

Best of luck to you...

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: deadlyhope

Yes. Do not go to school. Go to an electrical contractor. They will hire you to do what you're told, which in some cases will be "go out to the truck, get X and bring it back to me." They will pay for your school too. ABSOLUTELY APPRENTICESHIP HAPPENS FOR ELECTRICIANS. Good luck.

Greatest advice right here. It comes down to the economy in your area. If there is new construction happening, then there will be contractors looking for apprentices. They will pay for school while you are working and being trained on the job. Usually only about 4 hours a week for class. And class will be with fellow apprentices fresh from work as well so the environment will be relaxed. Homework is light enough. I am speaking from a non union point of view i should add. IEC.

As for the job, you will know whether youve got what it takes or not quickly. And new commercial construction is fun. You will love hitting that jobsite. Speaking for myself of course but not much is better than seeing a project come together or working on a highrise and doing the temp wiring on each new floor as it goes up. The view!
edit on 20-6-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Apply to your local IBEW hall for an apprenticeship. Earn money as you learn the trade. As an apprentice you will probably spend a lot of time learning to bend conduit and running it. Commercial jobs that is.

Lots of different paths you can take once you become a journeyman. 4 or 5 year apprenticeship.

Good pay, health care pension....

Of course if you really want a challenge, try sheet metal worker.

When doing your moms house did you put in the furnace and duct work?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Go for it.Trades are awesome, and the hands on way you learn has many benefits. Even if work is slow, being able to travel can make up for that. One of the things that's good about Electricians is being able to both do work in town and also out of town.

Starting your own business can be easier compared to some of the other building trades as well. The trades can make for rewarding careers, and the confidence one finds learning pays out in all the time.Good luck!

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

You can definitely do it and the sooner you get started the better. Ask around and talk to an electrician or three in your area, they know the paths well.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If you want it bad enough you'll be great at it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join