It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois careens into financial meltdown

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I went to buy my $1 Scratch-off lottery ticket today and noticed that the Power-Ball and Mega-Million lotteries were suspended.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Pennsylvania is next.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

How is it that the overall economy and investment are improving, but so many states are a slow-motion train wreck?

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Because they are run by incompetence.

Also, the government pensions were never sustainable. The government is eating itself thank god.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah, this State is screwed. I quit doing State work a few years ago. It used to take around 8 months to get paid, now it's around 2 years. I can't run my business like that.

170,000 people have left this he'll hole since January. People and businesses are leaving at record pace. Hellinois is a joke!

I work for a large company based in Illinois. Even they are staging plans for an exit it seems, albeit partial.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Guys...since people are moving out...maybe CHI could become.like Calais ? You can house the migrants in vacant flats.

And ofcourse...it would help the economy

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Build a wall around Chicago.

Make it a lawless city and fill it full of weapons and food and go pros. Live stream the event.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Sooner or later this economic collapse will spread across the nation and then the world.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
MELTDOWN AVOIDED FOR AWHILE. ILLINOIS BUDGET PASSED ON 7.6.2017.

dupagepolicyjournal.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

And they're going to be right back where they started because of the massive tax hikes they just imposed. People and businesses will leave, and there will be a shortfall.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

As I said in the other thread, my wife's friend husband, who I'll say I know but isn't "a friend" works with a large underwriting firm in Chicago. It was half but it's now over half of his office is choosing to work from home and is moving out of state. They just told us they are closing on a house in NC in August. Those who can do so easily are already leaving.

Good luck @carewemust. Please keep us updated

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Virole

Nothing meant bad about NC. To me if you take the interstate from Charlottesville to Durham/Reileigh it is nothing but built up city.

Should have came to VA. Cheaper and chances are more friendly and beautiful.

Sorry. No offence to NC. There are beautiful parts there too. I like mountains and my bias against flat land is hard to control.

Of course both economies are better off than IL.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

I'm actually in South East rural Georgia. Ralliegh NC was their decision. I lived in Jacksonville NC for awhile, 2001-2005, but didn't really form an opinion on it because I spent a lot of time elsewhere.

Georgia has its issues in the larger cities, Atlanta where they lived prior to Chicago and Savannah near where I live. Savannah's crime is increasing but there's about 40 miles between me and the outer limits of the Savannah area.

I probably won't recommend ga if you plan on city living but if you want a more rural lifestyle even if you just want 5 acres and a 20 minute commute, Georgia is great. Lots of land in the county but outside city limits with very little regulation and tax.

My land is 23 acres and is zoned Ag5 with about 3 acres of Wetland. I love it. Taxes on my land are lower than my previous home which was half the size on 1/4 acre. Schools are great and the government doesn't get involved in what you do as long as your not doing anything super illegal.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And they're going to be right back where they started because of the massive tax hikes they just imposed. People and businesses will leave, and there will be a shortfall.

Right. Unlike California, which has nice weather, Illinois needs SOMETHING to keep residents and businesses from leaving.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Virole

As I said in the other thread, my wife's friend husband, who I'll say I know but isn't "a friend" works with a large underwriting firm in Chicago. It was half but it's now over half of his office is choosing to work from home and is moving out of state. They just told us they are closing on a house in NC in August. Those who can do so easily are already leaving.

My brother saw the handwriting on the wall 3 years ago, and moved to Charlotte, North Carolina. Loves it. Your wife's friend and hubby are smart and wise!

I want to leave, but the boss (my wife) exclaims, "all my friends are here!".

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Virole

I only have right at 3 acres and have a smallish 1 level house and two buildings. Thing is my porch faces east and the view is like 40 miles of hills and mountains so it's nice to wake up and drink coffee seeing a new sky every day like a painting.

It is all paid for thank god.

Used to live in Kenosha WI and worked in North Chicago for years years ago. I would never ever go back there ever again.

I remember building a house in North Chicago and it was crazy. Went into a store to pay for the gas and someone broke into the work van and stole a compressor and a couple of framing guns. Weird thing was we had another crew working a few miles away and the crooks sold them our crews equipment for 20 bucks lol.

Ono the same site had an old dude pushing a shopping cart with another compressor trying to get 10 bucks for it. Seen another guy running with a weedeater down the street and I just knew some wasn't in that much of a hurry to go weedeating.

I could go on and on. Illinois especially around Chicago is too crazy for me.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

But it's nowhere near a balanced budget. It also raises income tax 32% and is 6+ Billion in unfunded liabilities. Crisis avoided my ass.

If anyone would like to buy my business and house, I'd make ya one hell of a deal. I gotta get outta #hole.
edit on 8-7-2017 by KawRider9 because: Hellinois hacked my spell checker

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Terminal1

3 acres can be a lot depending on what's around it. Sounds like a awesome set up. Our land is all zoned AG so mostly farms. Tracks are 10 acres plus and we bought 2. The thing I liked most is with AG 5 and AG 10 you can only build one house per that many acres so no chance of development without rezoning. The guy we bought from was trying to do that and it was rejected. Sounds like you're in a similar situation that it's unlikely to have subdivisions built. Honestly I wish we were elevated some in foothills or something but it's still awesome.

There are a number of layouts for farms that can support a family year round on an acre or less so you're in really good shape.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Lotto winning will not be paid,

Gotta pay the lottery man, or else nobody will ever buy a lotto ticket ever again.

posted on Jul, 8 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Virole

My brother saw the handwriting on the wall 3 years ago, and moved to Charlotte, North Carolina. Loves it. Your wife's friend and hubby are smart and wise!

I want to leave, but the boss (my wife) exclaims, "all my friends are here!".

I live in Charlotte. I can confirm it's pretty sweet. We're getting pretty full around here though. I hear it's really nice in Raleigh too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join