It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Prodigy from Mobb Deep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is hella sad. One of the architects of 1990's grimy east coast hip hop. You'll be missed.

Mobb Deep’s Prodigy has died, a representative for the rapper has confirmed. “Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis,” their statement reads. “As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined.” News first broke of the rapper’s passing when Nas posted a photo of him to his Instagram with the caption “QB RIP King P.” He was 42.

pitchfork.com...

Yeah 2017 sucks.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I just found out about this too - I can't believe it... I know he had sickle cell but seemed to have it well under control. I know it's a serious disease though.

I've been listening to his recent project, the Hegelian Dialectic. Was looking forward to hearing his next projects. He did a lot with producer Alchemist, I'm a huge fan. His Albert Einstein collaboration with Alchemist was fantastic. R.I.P... he died too young.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Horrible news. RIP to one of my fav. mc's for the past two decades. It's still fresh in my memory when I went to the local cd store over here and bought Hell on earth when it had just dropped. Prodigy inspired many, even Em. was listening to Shook ones in 8 mile before his battle.
Speaking of, I always thought that mysterious shook ones pt1? I think was the best of the series. It was originally on my first copy of Hell on earth, then when I re-bought it years later, there were no traces of it. It must have been removed due to sample issues.
But yeah, RIP. Hip hop took a big loss today.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
And people still try to tell me that 2016 was one of the worst years ever...

R.I.P. Prodigy, the best die first, sadly!

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Noooooooooooooo. Another legend gone so young. I still listen to the guy at least once a week. Sad day. RIP thun.
edit on 20-6-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
This is hella sad. One of the architects of 1990's grimy east coast hip hop. You'll be missed.

Mobb Deep’s Prodigy has died, a representative for the rapper has confirmed. “Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis,” their statement reads. “As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined.” News first broke of the rapper’s passing when Nas posted a photo of him to his Instagram with the caption “QB RIP King P.” He was 42.

pitchfork.com...

Yeah 2017 sucks.

WhaDafuq?

He was one of my favorite rappers. Had a cinematic flow and could actually pull off not always rhyming each bar. The MurdaMuzik album was great.

RIP. Quiet Storm is one of my favs. Three verses of straight fire.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Thanks for posting videos, I'm on my mobile and can't right now. Prodigy is one of my favorite rappers from that era. I love the laid back almost lazy, menacing flow.

He definitely originated a style that influenced a generation of rappers.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I just found out about this too - I can't believe it... I know he had sickle cell but seemed to have it well under control. I know it's a serious disease though.

I've been listening to his recent project, the Hegelian Dialectic. Was looking forward to hearing his next projects. He did a lot with producer Alchemist, I'm a huge fan. His Albert Einstein collaboration with Alchemist was fantastic. R.I.P... he died too young.

I haven't heard his recent stuff. I'm about to check it out now.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Albert Einstein album in particular had some great ones - check out the "Dough Pildin'"track

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Thanks for posting videos, I'm on my mobile and can't right now. Prodigy is one of my favorite rappers from that era. I love the laid back almost lazy, menacing flow.

He definitely originated a style that influenced a generation of rappers.

The early 90s was a phenomenal time for hip hop. Now that I am in my mid 40s, I appreciate the music from that time even more particularly when I hear the garbage that is out nowadays. I didn't really appreciate how talented the artist were from that period.

Mobb Deep really represented that raw and grimey NYC hip hop of that era. Shook Ones is a classic.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Albert Einstein album in particular had some great ones - check out the "Dough Pildin'"track

Dope! That's like some vintage Mobb Deep right there.

Thanks, I'm about to go buy all his new albums I haven't heard. Alchemist is one of the dopest producers in my opinion too.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Absolutely!
the 90s were the greatest in all aspects of music - IMO.
Alternative, Grunge, Rap/hip hop.

Those were the days lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

To be honest, I never would have thought so many ATSers love Prodigy - I knew we had some hip hop heads but it's great to see so many paying homage to Prodigy AKA Albert Johnson

I think calling it Albert Einstein was in part because Prodigy's legal first name is Albert, ha! The cryptic purple album cover with Einstein and the tongue is dope too - so fitting. Check out "Stay Dope" from that album too (there are a bunch of hard hitters)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
RIP to a pioneer and a legend.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Are you kidding me, wow, this really sucks, another one bites the dust.

Shook one was the song of my teenage years, so many parties, girls, so floored here, im at a lost for words.
edit on 20-6-2017 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I wouldn't have thought there were a lot of Mobb Deep fans here either, but ATS surprises me when it comes to music.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Another gone way too soon.. 42 years on this planet. RIP to the infamous

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My producer did a bunch of beats for Prodigy and is pretty devastated over this. I was a huge Mobb fan back in the day and pretty much grew up on them and wu, I still listen to the infamous and hell on earth nearly every day.. classic albums. Back in the mid 90s prodigy was absolutely killing it with the bars.

RIP, it's a sad day for real.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join