It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
(Reuters) - One thousand people per second signed up Friday to get on a free "do not call" list that will prevent telemarketers from bothering them at home, swamping telephone lines and a Web site set up to handle demand. Eager Americans rushed to place their home phone numbers on the Federal Trade Commission's list shortly after President Bush launched the measure in a White House ceremony. By noon the list had grown to 370,000 and was increasing by 1,000 per second, the FTC said.

Yahoo News

Do Not Call Website

National Do Not Call Registry

I have had the same Telemarketer call me the last 5 nights in a row even after asking them to get me out of their database and not to call back everytime they called me.

I am now armed with a boat horn that they will get an ear full of when they call back tonight.

So I am signing up.
Has anyone done this?

Here is the number to call to get on the no call list for free.

Also when calling this number you will need to call from the phone you want to add to the no call list.
So if you have 2 seperate phone lines each with a different number you would call from each one seperatly to get each line on the no call list.

Hope that made sense.

[Edited on 27-6-2003 by MiStErBeLLaTrIx]

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I definitely am! as if I'd ever buy anything from someone who cold-called my house. it's a waste of my time and theirs. now if only they could do the same sort of thing for spam...

edit: anyone else having problems with telemarketing calls coming in on their cell phone? it's not that location-based stuff (you know, "you're just 10 feet from Bob's Diner!")...I'm pretty sure that hasn't been implemented in my area yet, but just plain old telemarketing calls. I thought it was illegal or something to call cell phones for soliciting purposes, but I could be wrong.

[Edited on 6-27-2003 by MorningtonCrescent]

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Agree..someone find an automatic delete for Spam

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
As was already posted before by Advisor on 27-6-2003:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Excuse me....

Misterbellatrix:
posted on 27-6-2003 at 12:40 PM Post Number: 100757

Advisors :
National "Do Not Call List"
posted on 27-6-2003 at 04:08 PM Post Number: 100895

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   
News > Companies

Telemarketers eye alternatives

Report: AT&T, others to shift efforts to direct mail, e-mail due to 'do-not-call' list.
July 2, 2003: 10:30 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Companies that are major users of telemarketing calls are preparing to shift efforts to e-mail and direct mail once a new federal "do-not-call" list takes effect in October, according to a published report.

As of Tuesday morning about 12.5 million Americans have signed up to block phone solicitations in the first four days of the program, according to the Federal Trade Commission. Solicitors who call homes on the list after Oct. 1 face fines of up to $11,000 per call. Another 14 million homes are being transferred from state do-not-call registries, and 60 million homes are eventually expected to sign up to block calls by calling the FTC or signing up on its Web site.

The Wall Street Journal said Wednesday that companies such as AT&T and Allstate Insurance are looking to shift some of their sales efforts away from the phone solicitations that have been central to their business plans in the past.

"We plan to shift into other communication mediums, and rely more heavily on traditional TV advertising and e-mail marketing," Allstate acting Chief Marketing Officer Todd DeYoung told the paper. "We also plan to stimulate inbound call volume by doing more directed advertising and more direct mail."

money.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiStErBeLLaTrIx
Excuse me....

Misterbellatrix:
posted on 27-6-2003 at 12:40 PM Post Number: 100757

Advisors :
National "Do Not Call List"
posted on 27-6-2003 at 04:08 PM Post Number: 100895

Again, my apologies.

regards