It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frivolous Lawsuits!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I am getting so sick and tired of ridiculous lawsuits coming to the courts, and even worse, winning.
Cookies

“A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.”

This is pathetic. First, who gets freaked, to the point of having an anxiety attack, by a knock at the door? Even if it is 10:30? Second, after discovering the kind intentions of the act, who sues over giving cookies? Third, what kind of judge can’t see through this woman’s B.S. and just tells her to get over herself ‘n’ relax? People, these kinds of insane incidents, just like the lawsuit against McDonalds because their coffee was to hot, have only come about because we live in this ridiculous politically correct “every fools opinion matters” world. Common sense has apparently been chucked out the damn door and been replaced by technicalities, manipulations of the justice system, sympathy for the purely stupid, and support for people who by all means should be told to “sit down and shut up.”
Mod Edit: made the link shorter

[edit on 2/6/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Did anyone else catch bush claiming that the asbestos lawsuits as "frivolous" in the State of the Union?

That is one big "frivolous" legal issue, now isn't it......

and, well, I would never sue anyone, if I did, it would probably be the government first but. I get rather annoyed when solicitors knock on my door also, although they usually aren't kind enough to bring cookies! I'm sorry, but chances are good that inflicted myself with just a tad bit of pain to get to that door, and well, it's really irritating to find out that person on the other side is just offering the world's best vacuum cleaner, or the lowest ever price on magazines, or the only true way to heaven, or whatever. If the lady had had a "no soliciting" sign on her door, the kids did break the law, howbeit, with good intentions..matter of fact, that late at night, ya, they did break the law..still I wouldn't sue them, it's rediculous, unlike another "frivolous lawsuit" in which men's health was completely ruined and cut short because of the effects of asbestos.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
asbestos is one thing, but HOME BAKED COOKIES FROM YOUR NEIGHBOR!!!??? ahhh come on!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Would you be concerned if the wacked out weirdo of a neighbor next door to you dropped by and left some yummy chocolate brownies at your doorstep, which you found in half eaten in your kid's hands?

I disagree with sueing a bunch of kids for leaving cookies at someone door, but well, if you have kids, and depending on who the generous person is, it could be a rather dangerous situation, really......who knows in today's world, just what is in the cookies.....of course, we all know what was in the brownies, now don't we?

And, well, it's also not out of line to expect peace and quiet within our home, free from being bombarded from the "please buy this", "let me show you that", and "give me your money today!!!". be at the doorbell, or the phone. It's gotten way out of hand. And, well, like I said, I find it extremely irritating sometimes. And, well, most of the telemarketers, or people stopping at the door, end up getting cut short and the visit rudely ended.
I don't know about your area, but in mine, knocking at someone's door that late at night to say have a good day isn't too wise, and well, would probably be considered soliciting, which is illegal during that part of the day.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
A woman is also sueing Lancome because she bought an anti-wrinkle cream and her wrinkles didnt dissapear, causing her much grief.

There's no end to the stuff, but hey, as long as they feel they have the chance to win (and some do) they will continue doing it.

Its the judges fault for not ridiculing these cases right out of court. There was a time when frivolous law suits werent even considered for hearings.

And by the way- talk about the neighbor from hell...
I'd knock at their door and punch the first one who opens the door- then they'd have something to take me to court about...

[edit on 6-2-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
what, for punching their 14 yr old daughter out?

If the asbestos cases will in any way lose their rights to fair hearings and adequate compensation for thier hearings, I'd just assume leave the "frivolous" cases in. And, well, the main man selling the reform package has called those cases frivolous lawsuits...so....what can I say.
I agree, that some of these cases should be considered by judges and then laughed at by them, but we should all be able to have the issues addressed by the courts when we feel someone elses actions have done us harm. Otherwise, they will seek compensation in their own way, and well, someone might be knocking on someone's door, with a gun in their hand!

And, by the way, I wouldn't be surprised, if I were to find that the words "Have a good day" or whatever it was was written on a religious tract of some kind.......which would definately be considered solicitations....subject to the laws, which restricts their activity from something like 9am-9pm or whatnot....it definately prohibits them from knocking on doors 10:30 at night!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm sick of all the suing period....every time I turn around, someone is suing someone for something, falling, lifting, anything they can sue someone for. I don't believe in suing people...unless it was something so blatantly dangerous and the person/people knew it was an accident waiting to happen...but all this ridiculous suing for every car accident, every pulled muscle etc....is just sad, and sadder yet is these same people who claim to be such "good" people are usually the ones out to get anything they can

new topics

join