It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold on a minute - Were conservatives right, about gay rights?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
Im not saying that if a child displays this kind of questioning and gender identity "issue" we should not support them. I'm saying that it shouldn't become the norm.

Enabling a child to choose it's gender is dangerous. There will be many people in say, 20 years time who wish they hadn't been given that choice.

I see what you are saying, but I don't see any danger. 5-8 is way past the young impressionable age, so I don't see a problem with acknowledging that these people are real and explaining that there is nothing wrong with questioning. It's not like how a parent forces religion on children before they can even talk, let alone comprehend it. THAT is way more harmful and much more psychologically damaging than telling kids they have a choice. Besides it's not like their gender identity is always permanent and they will regret choosing for the rest of their life. If they don't jive with it, they will choose a different position. Many kids don't realize it until later, but informing your children that there is nothing wrong with being who you are is fundamental part of being human (unless you harm others).

It seems like this concept is based on fear and paranoia of more trans people being themselves, hence a higher "LBGTQ" population. To me this is far better than forcing yourself to conform to somebody's standards of who you are and subsequently living your life pretending you are somebody else to avoid scrutiny or humiliation.

edit on 6 23 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Im not saying that if a child displays this kind of questioning and gender identity "issue" we should not support them. I'm saying that it shouldn't become the norm.

you're saying it's shouldn't become the norm... to support them?

look this is kiiind of an all or nothing deal - either we acknowledge to our children that, yeah, it's rare, but some people have Gender Stuff Going On and that's fine, they're not broken or monsters - or we don't, and they continue to hide the fact that they have these feelings because no one talks about it and they go on feeling broken and monstrous.
there really is no wishy washy third option. there just... isn't.
you support your kids or you don't.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

you're saying it's shouldn't become the norm... to support them?

look this is kiiind of an all or nothing deal - either we acknowledge to our children that, yeah, it's rare, but some people have Gender Stuff Going On and that's fine, they're not broken or monsters - or we don't, and they continue to hide the fact that they have these feelings because no one talks about it and they go on feeling broken and monstrous.
there really is no wishy washy third option. there just... isn't.
you support your kids or you don't.

Very well put. This is kind of the point I keep trying to make. Sometimes it can be hard to find the words. The moment we remotely look as though we aren't in agreement, the other side seems to group us all in to the "God-forsaken, devil worshiping, Libtard snowflake SJW who wants everyone to be gay pedophiles who rape and murder the world and its morals." Which obviously, for almost all of us, is NOT the case.

I completely agree with what you said. I get what some people on here are saying about letting kids be kids. I agree, kids are so precious and they need not be worried about the harsh complexities of the world at large. But at the same time, I'm not for hiding the truth. I'm not for simply not 'letting it become the norm' to the point where these kids that actually do go through this are left to hide what they feel..and as you said, feel broken and monstrous. This shouldn't happen. Kids need to be loved and understood and supported.

The way you put it sums up exactly how I feel. It's all about legitimately supporting these children.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: MrConspiracy

enabling choices for a child is dangerous?

whoa, i would hate to have been your child

also, there has never been a trans that was ungrateful for a parent who gave them that choice.

Just as you are so sure of your gender, the trans is sure of their gender.

A choice is NEVER a bad idea for ANY circumstance

If I had a child I would not actively encourage them to question their gender. But I also wouldn't disallow it if it was to occur. I'm not a backwards monster.

There's a big difference. Children are easily swayed and misunderstood.

And all I'm saying is, it's a big lifestyle change to make at such a young, ill-informed age.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

Enabling a child to choose it's gender is dangerous. There will be many people in say, 20 years time who wish they hadn't been given that choice.

I see what you are saying, but I don't see any danger. 5-8 is way past the young impressionable age, so I don't see a problem with acknowledging that these people are real and explaining that there is nothing wrong with questioning. It's not like how a parent forces religion on children before they can even talk, let alone comprehend it. THAT is way more harmful and much more psychologically damaging than telling kids they have a choice. Besides it's not like their gender identity is always permanent and they will regret choosing for the rest of their life. If they don't jive with it, they will choose a different position. Many kids don't realize it until later, but informing your children that there is nothing wrong with being who you are is fundamental part of being human (unless you harm others).

It seems like this concept is based on fear and paranoia of more trans people being themselves, hence a higher "LBGTQ" population. To me this is far better than forcing yourself to conform to somebody's standards of who you are and subsequently living your life pretending you are somebody else to avoid scrutiny or humiliation.

5-8 is still certainly an impressionable age. Allowing a child to live their life as who they "feel" they are is of course, a great thing.

However ALL im saying is actively telling a child "forget how you were born you can choose your gender" at the age of 5 is potentially damaging to the child.

However, like I've said, if the child was already experiencing these thoughts and feelings, I am 100% against supressing them and 100% for supporting them.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

its reassuring to know that you would support your child. Yes 5 is too young to start taking steroids or medicines to enhance the change, but if your boy wants to wear a dress or your girl doesnt...its very uplifting to see them happy in their own clothes. Also 5 is young enough that if you see a change back to birth sex, then nothing dangerous was done...they tried and didnt like it but happy the whole time.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
a reply to: AMPTAH

....dude, are you honestly saying men and women can't be friends?

What do you mean by friends?

I'm friends with my cat, and my pet dog.

posted on Jun, 28 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I personally have no issue with a boy wearing a dress (for example) if he feels that's what he wants to wear.

However, opening that child up to ridicule (being realistic) is something a parent must seriously contemplate. As that CAN damage the child long term. Especially considering, like you mentioned, it may just be a temporary "phase"

I guess education is key. But how early that education should start is perhaps where it gets complicated.

edit on 28-6-2017 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join