It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold on a minute - Were conservatives right, about gay rights?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Cool deflection from your bigotry against Christians.

I know what she was trying to say. There's hyperbole, and then there's what she said which was ridiculous, and still bigoted no matter how you wanna spin it.

I don't agree at all. It has been mostly Christian fundamentalists primarily discriminating against homosexuals, I don't think it's bigoted to point out the fact that they have actively fought for legislation in favor of their beliefs and to restrict equal marriage rights, push their views into education, etc. It's funny how you ignored the entire post to deflect and focus exclusively on one exaggerated metaphor, but you accuse her of deflecting? Interesting. Keep in mind, the Taliban comparison does hold some weight because they are both mostly comprised of religious fundamentalists.
edit on 6 20 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Grambler

But lets look at Canada. Now its illegals to not call someone "wormkin" if they identify as part worm and chose that as their preferred pronoun. Coming to the US soon, I bet.

I wonder if a wormkin can marry a dog in Canada if the dog identifies as humankin?

Can you provide a link detailing where someone had to call someone a wormkin specifically?

I am busy now, but two things.

1. the law just started.

2. Dr. Jordan peterson goes over in a video of his how th law makes people call someone whatever pronoun they wish, and he goes through a list the includes wormkin.

I will try to post it later.

But you will admit that this is over the libe if I find it?

I think one would have a much better chance of winning the Powerball lottery than coming across someone that demands to be referred to as a wormkin.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

The reason I didn't respond to the rest of it is because her bigotry shines through in her comments and its useless trying to argue with someone that blinded by hate. The fact she throws a disclaimer on it is irrelevant, it's obvious she harbors ill feelings toward Christians. I was just calling her out on it because its good for the outrage peddlers to be told about their own prejudices now and then. Not that I think it'll do any good, nor do I think what I'm saying to you will penetrate your closed mind either.

No matter how you wanna spin it, the difference between what gays are subjected to here and what they are subjected to in Taliban controlled areas is miles apart. I mean, for #'s sake, less than 10 years ago Obama was against gay marriage. Was he a "Taliban Christian" fundamentalist oppressor? The absolute desperation, the sick need some people in this country have to be victims of something, anything when they have it unconscionably better than most of the rest of the world is laughable and pathetic, you should be legit ashamed of yourself. You are why the rest of the world looks at us and laughs with disdain at what self-absorbed gluttons we are. The fact you think there's any comparison between being told you need to buy your cake from another bakery and being thrown off a building because of your orientation is surreal. Congratulations. Your brainwashing has been very, very thorough. It's not worth responding to either of you, you're both so far gone I pity you.
edit on 20 6 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

That's a whole lot of drive behind that naivete.

Was Obama a taliban christian when he was against gay marriage? No.

But, Westboro Baptist Church was.

So, yeah, apples and oranges are different. What else is new?
edit on 20-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
a reply to: vonclod
The sanctity of marriage is destroyed because they can't keep it in the closet or their pants.

The "sanctity" of marriage is destroyed when one cheats and/or divorces. Maybe you should buck up in your church or local counseling program to work on shoring that up first before preaching about gays?

Now, little kids in school are being taught about 'gay, etc' at a time in life when they NEVER should be thinking about sex.

Of course I'm teaching my 8 & 9 year old girls about their genitals. I'd much rather they be prepared for upcoming puberty than be blind, stupid & terrified when it comes, like we used to be before back when sexual health & education was taboo. I guarantee you Silo's momma, like mine, never sat her down and discussed the entire ins & outs of a period, including ovaries, uterine lining, hormones, why you're lubed naturally, and what the whole shebang down there is for.

As to the gay aspect, my mothers-in-law are gay. It'd be pretty retarded to not explain why when they ask why some people like the opposite gender & some don't.

Now there's laws on the books to lower the age of consensual sex - because it's against a 'child's rights' to have to conform to the law when it comes to their 'bodies'.

O, rly? To what age & under what age gap restrictions, if any? If you think a 13 year old boy doesn't know what his dong is and how to use it with the 17 year old hottie next door, you're a FOOL. Same goes for the reverse. Neither pair deserves a record for humping. I knew what my vagina was & what made it feel soooo good at that age. I didn't use it (aside from right hand dates) but I sure as hell knew countless other girls that age who DID spread their legs. That's not parenting failure, that's natural instinct, and making it a shameful, taboo topic has not helped us any.
edit on 6/20/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So gay marriage shouldn't have been legalized because, "if you give a mouse a cookie?" Go back 100 years and see how enjoyable that would be for various groups.

Complaints about Acronyms though? Seriously? And when 97% of the lgbt population doesn't know or care about these "letters" yet you're making an issue of it....it's a big misrepresentation.

I get that "Pride month" or whatever may have prompted some of these discussions, but good god be a stick in the mud and rain on someone's parade why don't you...

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Marriage is about creating new tax payers? What a strange sad world view.

Most of us view equal rights as allowing consenting adults to marry who they love.

Since it has no impact on you the only reason for opposing it remains bigotry.

The ones having hissy fits are those bigots on the wrong side of history who continue to oppose it.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: kaylaluv

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm agnostic and I really couldn't care less whether gay people can get married or not. Was just pointing out as an objective observer you obviously harbor bigotry toward Christians, along with a gross misunderstanding of what the Taliban is.

anger and intolerance towards bigotry is NOT bigotry.

its always so funny to me when religious nuts try and twist it that way...not that you are a religious nut, you have stated you are agnostic, but its usually them that twist into a myriad of rediculous knots to defend their own bigotry.

dont be like them

edit on 21-6-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Again, you are focusing purely on the person while completely ignoring the argument over 1 word in the response. That's a fallacy.

Brainwashing? I haven't the foggiest what you are talking about. I was raised Christian, so yeah I was brainwashed when I was a kid, but I broke out of it. For a self proclaimed agnostic, you sure like to defend Christian bigotry. I'm sorry, but oppression is oppression and homosexuals have been oppressed by Christians for a long time in this country (and in the world as a whole). They have a right to speak out against them.

Islamic fundamentalists being worse, doesn't make those Christians any less fundamentalist or wrong. The point is that fundamentalism is BAD, no matter which religion it is, or who practices it. Preaching hate against homosexuals conflicts with Jesus' teachings and overall it is a primitive mentality where you take one verse in one version of a book as literal absolute truth and denying all science and reality that conflicts (along with ignoring tons of other scriptures in the bible). It is delusional and dangerous, whether Christian, Muslim or whatever other religion. Speaking out against these simple minded religious extremists is a good thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: deadlyhope

It's about respect.

I will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, have any respect for any individual or groups of individuals that do not show respect for my values and traditions.

This is the classic Biblical conundrum.

Can you respect both God and the Devil?

Is there no such thing as right and wrong? Is it all just opinion, and everybody's individual opinion deserves equal respect?

Can you really agree with two opposing views simultaneously?

Can you honor both?

Matthew 6:24, 1 Kings 18:21, 2 Kings 17:41, Luke 16:13, Galatians 1:10, Gospel of Thomas #47, etc..

Celebrate and praise both lifestyles?

If you believe something is wrong, can you respect someone who believes that same thing is right? After all, they don't respect your view of that same thing being wrong.

It's a paradox.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Planet teleX
I think the issue is consent. With gay marriage you have two concentual adults. There's no 'more' after that.

Who says marriage is "two" people?

A Muslim man can take up to 4 wives.

Why can't a Muslim man have 4 husbands?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

In a perfect world, everyone should have respect for everyone...even their enemies.

If the respect is not reciprocated, then you have the right to not engage with that person.

Its just very hard when the one not reciprocating (bc immaturity is a thing) is family or the b*tch that works in the cubicle next to you...but you can still do it. You can still disengage and respect the good things about that person.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

In a perfect world, everyone should have respect for everyone...even their enemies.

If the respect is not reciprocated, then you have the right to not engage with that person.

Its just very hard when the one not reciprocating (bc immaturity is a thing) is family or the b*tch that works in the cubicle next to you...but you can still do it. You can still disengage and respect the good things about that person.

I don't see how this is possible.

We can "avoid" people who have opposing views, so that we don't deliberately generate unwanted conflicts.

But, to engage our opponents is to change ourselves. Either we have to become disagreeable with them, upsetting our own preferred peaceful mood, or we have to become agreeable with them, to keep the peace while being internally consciously at conflict with our own preferred morals and values. Either way, we have to change to engage.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I did not say to avoid people with opposing views, i said avoid people who show you no respect.

I love opposing views, that is how you learn and expand your mind.

Please do not get opposing views and disrespect confused.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I did not say to avoid people with opposing views, i said avoid people who show you no respect.

But, that's the whole mechanism of the "protest".

The whole idea of protesting, is to disrespect the laws or policies or practices of other people, to draw attention to your own viewpoint, and fight for your own rights.

So, I throw a party for straight couples, and a bunch of LGBT neighborhood folk come and protest in front my home, declaring me a bigot for not inviting them. Are they respecting me and my right to surround myself with like-minded folks for an evening of good fun? Should I respect them, for disrupting my gala, and attempting to raise the issue of their exclusion from my fun event?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

But, that's the whole mechanism of the "protest".

The whole idea of protesting, is to disrespect the laws or policies or practices of other people, to draw attention to your own viewpoint, and fight for your own rights.

So, I throw a party for straight couples, and a bunch of LGBT neighborhood folk come and protest in front my home, declaring me a bigot for not inviting them. Are they respecting me and my right to surround myself with like-minded folks for an evening of good fun? Should I respect them, for disrupting my gala, and attempting to raise the issue of their exclusion from my fun event?

lol, im sorry, i think it just flew right over your head.

No one cares about your party, however...legal rights...that is something to care and protest about.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
"well would you look at this mess!
we allowed The Gays one tiny concession towards being functional human beings and all of a sudden there are other sexual minorities all saying they exist too!
isn't that literally the worst thing you've heard of in your entire life??
some of them want to be on television or have books written about them, i even met one the other day who forgot to open the conversation by falling on their knees and thanking me personally that it's no longer legal to hunt them for sport in three states! how ungrateful! i swear we should have let the Reagan administration pour napalm over them all like they threatened, that'd learn 'em!"

that's what you sound like.
honestly, that's what you sound like.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The "sanctity" of marriage is destroyed when one cheats and/or divorces. Maybe you should buck up in your church or local counseling program to work on shoring that up first before preaching about gays?

I never said it wasn’t destroyed when someone cheats. That’s a given and has nothing to do with homosexuals who’ve destroyed the sanctity of the marriage bed/life with their perversions. Yes - perversions.

Of course I'm teaching my 8 & 9 year old girls about their genitals. I'd much rather they be prepared for upcoming puberty than be blind, stupid & terrified when it comes, like we used to be before back when sexual health & education was taboo.

Teaching children as they near puberty about reproduction is a healthy thing to do. Not something a 4-5 year old needs to be presented with at that age.

I guarantee you Silo's momma, like mine, never sat her down and discussed the entire ins & outs of a period, including ovaries, uterine lining, hormones, why you're lubed naturally, and what the whole shebang down there is for.

Now that you’ve taken this to a personal rout bringing up my ‘momma’ and using such ignorant presumptions you’ve negated this discussion.

As to the gay aspect, my mothers-in-law are gay. It'd be pretty retarded to not explain why when they ask why some people like the opposite gender & some don't.

Retarded? I’m surprised you’d use such a derogatory word. Do you have a problem with people who’re physically handicapped?

O, rly? To what age & under what age gap restrictions, if any? If you think a 13 year old boy doesn't know what his dong is and how to use it with the 17 year old hottie next door, you're a FOOL.

Yes, that would make someone rather naive if they thought so.

A young man (or woman) of that age (emphasis on that age) should be taught that just because their body might 'feel' one way or another they shouldn’t allow themselves to fall into destructive behavior.

Same goes for the reverse. Neither pair deserves a record for humping.

Yes, they should. No reason for me to explain myself, you’re mind is closed to anything that might even hint at purity, sanctity, or moral rights.

I knew what my vagina was & what made it feel soooo good at that age. I didn't use it (aside from right hand dates) but I sure as hell knew countless other girls that age who DID spread their legs. That's not parenting failure, that's natural instinct, and making it a shameful, taboo topic has not helped us any.

You prove my point. What kind of a woman with any sense of self respect or self worth would tell a room full (ATS) of complete strangers about her sexual activities when she was a child or as an adult. One of the problems I have with homosexuals. What they do behind closed doors isn’t any of my business and shouldn’t be anyone’s business but their own.

peace

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
If you believe something is wrong, can you respect someone who believes that same thing is right? After all, they don't respect your view of that same thing being wrong.

That is exactly what Jesus taught, though. You don't have to accept somebody's view or practice it to respect it and continue to treat them like a regular person. Jesus didn't ever say that it was okay to discriminate against people you disagreed with or attack them / publicly slander them. Jesus literally said "Love your enemies". Any Christian that can't use empathy is not a Christian. Empathy was the PRIME DIRECTIVE of Jesus.

And I'll say it again, there is nothing remotely Christian about being anti gay. Nothing. If a single Christian could respond and justify this position with scripture i'd love to see it but don't post any quotes out of a book if you don't follow the rest of the book with that same ferver. Being against gay marriage is not a Christian position. It is a myth that many Christians latch onto often out of self loathing and fear. There is no justification for the view whatsoever in modern times. I've asked this question many times and not a single Christian has ever justified this belief aside from one verse in Leviticus, which contains dozens of other ridiculous laws that no Christians today follow.

edit on 6 21 17 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

That is exactly what Jesus taught, though. You don't have to accept somebody's view or practice it to respect it and continue to treat them like a regular person. Jesus didn't ever say that it was okay to discriminate against people you disagreed with or attack them / publicly slander them. Jesus literally said "Love your enemies". Any Christian that can't use empathy is not a Christian.

How can you love, if you don't correct? Jesus always taught that it was good to stop sinning. He didn't embrace the sin. So, if you think something is a sin, should you praise it? The classic example is Jesus teaching on the prostitute. His disciples wanted to stone the woman, but Jesus stopped them, and said, he that is without sin, cast the first stone. Then he told the woman to go and "stop" sinning. He didn't teach to "respect the sin", and lets all go party and praise the sinners.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join