It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The employment process today BLOWS and I'm about to lose it.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I feel your pain. I have been out of work since March. I knew it was coming so I started applying for jobs since the last quarter of 2016. I have had one interview since that time. Even though I have a Bachelor's degree I have applied for anything, including minimum wage jobs. What irritates me the most is when I see companies posting a job and the high requirements they have. For instance there was one yesterday that was for a cashier job that paid minimum wage and required you to have 4 years experience as a cashier. One other required you to have a 4 year degree, 5 years of experience and paid $10 an hour.

It baffles me.

I have not given up hope yet but I am very frustrated myself at my situation. I wish you the best and hopefully things will happen for you soon.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have a outstanding warrant from 2002 that is holding me back. Long story short is I had too much fun at a Halloween party that ended in a brief stay at a hospital. Now I have a drug related charge on my background check. Funny thing is I wasn't even aware of speaking to law enforcement that night. I remember having heart problems and getting checked in and then waking in my bed the next morning like it was a bad nightmare.

You would be amazed how this impacted my jobs. I didn't even know of the warrant till 07 when it showed up on a background check. To correct the issue would take hiring a lawyer (can't afford) or traveling 1000 miles to turn myself in.

I hate the background check industry... I just recently found out that a charge that I had expunged was on the background check. There is little oversight in this industry and its up to you to correct. When you do correct something, it is only with that particular database, and each company has their own.

So moral is be a saint, as one stupid mistake will haunt you. Getting jobs and housing for me is a crapshoot. I am in your same boat, I have to make $120 before the first to retain my apt. I am registered with a temp agency, and have an interview tomorrow but that won't help me this month.

If the temp agency doesn't find me work, than I will be picking up cans... Wish me luck

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just throwing this out there, I doubt it would do much good now, but for the future it's a must in my opinion.

Find a secondary trade and dedicate time to at least becoming proficient at it. I'm an Infrastructure engineer, but I've also picked up skills over the years painting, doing demo and final clean. Those jobs are no where near as attractive or pleasant as my normal career but they are skills I can, and have fallen back on when times get tough.

I get # for the viewpoint all the time, but no amount of going out, buying things or travelling can replace sinking that same time energy and money into a good skill set.

When you get a new job, regardless of what it is, find time to learn something else, that's different from your current skill set and do what you can to become proficient. If your out of work again you'll at least have something to fall back on even if it sucks until you find the job you want.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Good luck on your interview Thursday! Don't let haters get you down. The job market has always been tough for somebody, somehwere, somewhen. Rant away and get those bad emotions out in a safe setting among friends.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Do you like animals? You can be a pet sitter and charge $15 a visit. A lot of people are stuck at work and need someone to come walk their dog or give their cat lunch.

It's easy and fun, I did it for almost 7 yrs. If you have 5 people a day you can get $75. If they need you 6 days a week that's $450 a week. You'd be surprised at how many people need a pet sitter.

There are times when I've made over $4,000 a month.

If anything, it's something to do until you can get back into the corporate world.
edit on 20-6-2017 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

ETA: You got a job! Congratulations!
edit on 20-6-2017 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Construction jobs start at $15 an hour if you have experience.

Oh really! Like you know the first gaw damn thing about construction.
What a joke!
edit on Rpm62017v24201700000030 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'm in the same boat my man. My thoughts are with you.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Find out what jobs/ industries have high turnover in your area. Apply and give it hell!

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I wasn't being facetious. If Mblah needs a job right quick then my advice is sound.

If she's not that desperate and wants to hold out for a teller job then I wish her luck because the hiring process is definitely BS these days.

edit on 20-6-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I wasn't being facetious either. I was dead serious.
edit on Rpm62017v57201700000020 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Honestly it does not pay off to be a great employee, I recently worked at a gas station for 2 years not one sick day, did all the heavy lifting, worked the registers, all the landscaping electrical maintenance and janitorial duties all for 9 bucks an hour the owner got in my face Calling me a Yankee for the most trivial reason I quit to avoid an assault charge and said good luck paying the landscapers you racist ass redneck. Well they called me shortly after saying if I didn't return my shirts and pick up all my stuff they were gunna throw them out. I told them I was really upset and had been drinking but it's only a 5 minute drive so I headed over and got my stuff. I get home to 2 officers that slammed my head into the hood(friends of his I'm sure) it was out of thier jurisdiction he's worth millions and him and his head manager are super tight with the police department for some odd reason. Basically made to blow in a back office by an intimidating gentleman and got my first DUI.

Nine months later I'm just getting my right to drive again after 6k in fines paid by getting a job at the busiest lowes in the country in Mount Pleasant, SC. Because of my above average muscle build and yes sir attitude used and abused like you wouldn't believe I actually 2 managers risk thier jobs to fight for my rights. God bless them because I was doing 3 jobs for the payment of one red in the face and feeling faint every day. The world has seriously become a pansy fest if you don't whine and complain to HR like a child you never get a raise you get completely used doing job that you were not hired to do, basically they make you thier bitch for trying to be a man.

Well I'm applying to Boeing and praying to God I get the job and somewhere in this world we still get rewarded for reliability and going above and beyond for a company. At this point I'm skeptical and think maybe I should go in and do the bare minimum like everyone else. That's just not me though but it seems to be those most stable way to go. I have confrontation between my managers all day long over who "gets" me that day only me and one other person have this problem and he's paid below thier starting wage and never got thier promised raise in a year when everyone else did. I guess there is a difference between sticking up for yourself and complaining I need to figure out the line between.

/rant over hope everything turns around for you.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Keep going buddy and don't give up.
Also, get the names of the managers within depts. at the top 100 companies you would like to work for. Write to them directly - a hand written letter. Tell them about yourself and why you want to work there.
Bypass the sausage machine whenever possible - directness, personal contact and initiative still works. HR process forms, managers hire people.
edit on 20/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Dead serious about robbing a bank? See ya in the headlines bro!

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Try ratracerebellion. I feel your pain. Everything you say is true. You will make it. I wish you the best.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

You WILL be employed by July 1st.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Three hots and a cot sound better than this ass whole bull sh1t.

Take a deep breath my friend.

Burn some dried flowers.

Drink a beer...Hang in there. It will get better.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Got two words that'll change your tune, friend

Gin + tonic

And the freedom to pass out on that cot whenever you like.

No "cavity searches" either!

edit on 20-6-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join