It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking about building a sleeper. I need some gearhead input.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

That's a good point.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

Honestly, I'm not really looking to make it a race vehicle while I'm still driving it semi-regularly. I just honestly want to be able to make it squat and scoot when I feel the need. I'm considering eventually turning it into a drag monstrosity, but again, just for my own pleasure. I don't gamble, so there's no point in racing with it.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Actually, fueling is MUCH easier with a draw through carb than fuel injection, but other than ease of tuning, EFI is pretty much better in every other respect.

Jaden

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

After having both old school carbed muscle and EFI, I'm going to respectfully disagree.

The initial plumbing and setup of a carbed setup versus fuel injection, yes, the tunability under any load or rpm, no.

Using a carb on a modern engine is like using a spoon for brain surgery.

For example, my car started off with 357cc injectors, a fixed 58psi pressure regulator, and a roots supercharger. It now has 1000cc injectors, boost regulated fuel pressure, a 56mm turbo, and I run E30. The same P12 pcm handled both with no issues. A carbed setup would've been a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
From a legal stanndpoint, I'm pretty sure you can't actually put a carb on anything made after 1992 and drive it on the street. I remember that being a law. Unless I misremember it, then blame the Mandela Effect.

If you were to do it, go the LS route. They make standalone harnesses for LS engines to make wiring them up easier. It costs more but it's hard to beat an LS.

you can drop a carb'd engine into whatever.
dont know why you would want to these days

i say get an ls with a compressor(supercharger) and get with the tuning

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
From a legal stanndpoint, I'm pretty sure you can't actually put a carb on anything made after 1992 and drive it on the street. I remember that being a law. Unless I misremember it, then blame the Mandela Effect.

If you were to do it, go the LS route. They make standalone harnesses for LS engines to make wiring them up easier. It costs more but it's hard to beat an LS.

you can drop a carb'd engine into whatever.
dont know why you would want to these days

i say get an ls with a compressor(supercharger) and get with the tuning

I could have sworn at some point during Obama's first term there was a bill (or at least a proposed bill that may not have passed) that wouldn't allow you to install a carburetor into a vehicle made after a certain year. I looked and looked and can't find anything about it. Damn that Mandela Effect.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

you're giving caveats. If you want a boost and go setup, nothing will beat a draw through carb setup. Will it give you ease of changing up, using high octane/corn juice, etc? NO, but for simplicity of setup, it is the simplest.

Jaden

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Ease of setup seems like more of a win for EFI, I thought. Plug in and tune, as opposed to having to physically tweak jets and such. Though, I have always heard that for pure raw power, a carb is the fuel system of choice
But, since I'm looking for a bit of versatility, I'm leaning towards EFI now. Also, I'm not sure the engine won't eventually end up in a 4×4 truck, I stead of my Tahoe. So it seems like that's the route to go.
But, the 5.3l currently in the Tahoe is going to get a few new parts and an overhaul and go into a Ram 50 5 speed I have. I've been saving as a "when I get around to it" project trick for 18 years. I've just never had a spare engine to drop in it that I thought was worth the time and effort of doing so, until I replace my current one. That used engine should be a hell of a platform to start with. And I may very well go blow-through carb with it. It will actually end up being a truck I'd try drag racing with if I do everything to it I've been thinking of.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I would use a smaller vehicle,take a lot of money to move that big thing,plus no aerodynamics,lighter the car the quicker,Tahoe and Suburban's better for off road,not drag racing,I have an 88 s-15,down to 2650lbs,we are putting a 5.3 motor in it,turns high 13's with semi stock motor,should be better on gas and much faster

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
De-badged Volvo 850R wagon with a bunch of turbo work and non-r wheels.

m.youtube.com...

Yes, that 850 just ran a Supra. When out driving around I spot some 850Rs that are a little lowered and a little loud and tell my wife “that thing is fast”. She tells me know and I get the guy to hammer on it when I get along side - they scream - no one sees it coming. Because Volvo.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Do it!
I have a 2006 Tahoe with a Huron Speed single turbo (Turbonetics 7575BB), PROMAXX heads and full exhaust and its a great daily but not much of a sleeper as its louder than my 13 Camaro SS.

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Love sleepers...

Best one I ever had was a mid 70s EB-series Honda Civic ('Granny Shopping Cart Edition' bubble-shape) running a modded H22a with Jackson Racing S/C....
Was hella fun trying to put 300+ hp through the skinny front wheels of one of them...torque-steer from Nam...pretty much made sure nothing was off to the left of you before mashing the gas...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   

edit on 1-1-2019 by alien because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join