It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Capitalism Inevitably Produce Inequalities? The answer is yes.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Xtrozero

I don't know if you have noticed but your set of presumptions don't always apply.

No, not always but rather the norm....

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
No, not always but rather the norm....

That is just your opinion. That is the problem here, you are working off of what you think is or should be the norm.

Plus you exaggerate a bit. Just show up sober and you will be the best of the minimum wage workers is an example of that.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Plus you exaggerate a bit. Just show up sober and you will be the best of the minimum wage workers is an example of that.

My point is minimum wage needs zero skills, if you are just responsible, you will be a great minimum wage earner.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
"Does Capitalism Inevitably Produce Inequalities? The answer is yes."

Of course it does. Some people choose to educate themselves to a greater degree, Capitalism rewards that. Some people work harder, Capitalism rewards that. Some people make better life decisions, Capitalism rewards that. The vast majority of the problems in our country have nothing to do with Capitalism, they have to do with culture, values, and personal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Zero skill doesn't mean zero value.

And of course most people don't make minimum wage, getting a $1.00 bump will shift those stats but doesn't make much of a difference. Especially with inflation.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
The vast majority of the problems in our country have nothing to do with Capitalism, they have to do with culture, values, and personal responsibility.

Maybe a large number of "peoples' problems in your country" have to do with that.

Out of control government spending, trickle down not really working, corporate welfare, bailouts do not.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Out of control government spending, trickle down not really working, corporate welfare, bailouts do not.

Those are big problems in my country too (USA), but they have nothing to do with Capitalism, those are corrupt governmental problems. Capitalism is an economic system, not a governmental system. No where in Capitalism does it state the government should bail out Big Banks to the tune of a Trillion Dollars. Corrupt Government is a huge problem, but it isn't a Capitalist problem, it's not an economic system problem, it's a governmental problem.
edit on 25-6-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Those are big problems in my country too (USA), but they have nothing to do with Capitalism

I didn't say capitalism once in that post.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Zero skill doesn't mean zero value.

And of course most people don't make minimum wage, getting a $1.00 bump will shift those stats but doesn't make much of a difference. Especially with inflation.

I'm not sure where you suggest I meant zero value. I think we are just spinning in circles here. I have great value to the person who's job is to wipe tables, pick up dirty plats and sweep the floor. It is a needed job, a valuable job, but then I do not see that job as one that would provide what we would call a living wage, which is around 20 plus per hour. Is 20 to 30 bucks an hour a great wage to have to a great life...no... But in the end should you pay a person 20 bucks for mowing your lawn and whatever for an hour or two or should you pay 200 bucks because you want them to have a living wage.

You know a person has a choice too whether to work for 10 bucks an hour or not. If they are full sound of mind and body and 10 bucks is all they are "skilled" for, is the only job they can get, and they are 25 plus in age I think the failure is on them, not the crappy 10 bucks an hour job.

edit on 26-6-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I'm not sure where you suggest I meant zero value.

Not zero but you did say this:

if you flip burgers that value is not very much.

and then you said minimum wage workers have zero skill. Like flipping burgers takes zero skills. Just taking two things you said and comparing.

I think we are just spinning in circles here.

Yes we are, because things are rarely sorted out in internet forums.

I have great value to the person who's job is to wipe tables, pick up dirty plats and sweep the floor. It is a needed job, a valuable job, but then I do not see that job as one that would provide what we would call a living wage, which is around 20 plus per hour.

When that is the bulk of what is left then it has to provide. The US outsourced much of the manufacturing and became a service economy, which means that these types of jobs have to provide a living wage.

Is 20 to 30 bucks an hour a great wage to have to a great life...no... But in the end should you pay a person 20 bucks for mowing your lawn and whatever for an hour or two or should you pay 200 bucks because you want them to have a living wage.

I don't think we settled on what the amount should be.

You know a person has a choice too whether to work for 10 bucks an hour or not. If they are full sound of mind and body and 10 bucks is all they are "skilled" for, is the only job they can get, and they are 25 plus in age I think the failure is on them, not the crappy 10 bucks an hour job.

Like I said, that is your opinion based on old metrics.

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

"Does Capitalism Inevitably Produce Inequalities? The answer is yes."

Of course it does. Some people choose to educate themselves to a greater degree, Capitalism rewards that. Some people work harder, Capitalism rewards that. Some people make better life decisions, Capitalism rewards that. The vast majority of the problems in our country have nothing to do with Capitalism, they have to do with culture, values, and personal responsibility.

Have you ever heard of survivorship bias? Capitalism rewards that, which is often people making poor choices but getting a tangible, positive result. Doing the correct thing doesn't always lead to the optimal outcome.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join