It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resort Outside Mali Capital Bamako Under Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Source is security ministry via Sky News

This luxury resort is frequented by many tourists and expats from many countries. No reports on casualties or deaths as yet but likely!

Here we go again, they have been working up to something bigger in Mali for a while.

edit on 18-6-2017 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Let's hope this is brought to a swift end, whatever it is.

Or better yet a false report! I live in hope.

Edit: Found a link

Nothing to go on yet.
edit on 18-6-2017 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Its for real, we have to wait for the details as they develop. There have been many attacks in Mali in recent times so this is no surprise.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhh, the religion of peace ill presume.....

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

I heard it was a new branch of the Jedi Order. Seems they're growing restless with the imbalance of the Force in Mali.

Don't know who else it could be.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Nothing to go on yet.

From your link.

A tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners is under attack by gunmen, a spokesman at the security ministry has told Reuters.

Nearby residents reported hearing shots fired at the luxury destination.

The spokesman said the attack was ongoing at Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako.

Malian troops and soldiers from France's Bakhane counter-terrorist force are at the site.

There was no information immediately available on casualties.

"Security forces are in place. Campement Kangaba is blocked off and an operation is under way," Security Ministry spokesman Baba Cisse told Reuters by phone.

Mali has been fighting a jihadist insurgency for several years, with Islamist fighters roaming the country's north and centre.

In November 2015, at least 20 people were killed when gunmen took guests and staff hostage at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.

Al-Qaeda's North African arm, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), said it was behind that siege.

Mali has been in a state of emergency since the Radisson Blu attack. It was extended for a further six months in April.

The country's security has gradually worsened since 2013, when French forces repelled allied Islamist and Tuareg rebel fighters from parts of the north.

French troops and a 10,000-strong force of UN peacekeepers have been battling to stabilise the former French colony.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Nothing to go on yet.

From your link.

A tourist resort in Mali popular with Westerners is under attack by gunmen, a spokesman at the security ministry has told Reuters.

Nearby residents reported hearing shots fired at the luxury destination.

The spokesman said the attack was ongoing at Le Campement resort in Dougourakoro, to the east of the capital Bamako.

Malian troops and soldiers from France's Bakhane counter-terrorist force are at the site.

There was no information immediately available on casualties.

"Security forces are in place. Campement Kangaba is blocked off and an operation is under way," Security Ministry spokesman Baba Cisse told Reuters by phone.

Mali has been fighting a jihadist insurgency for several years, with Islamist fighters roaming the country's north and centre.

In November 2015, at least 20 people were killed when gunmen took guests and staff hostage at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako.

Al-Qaeda's North African arm, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), said it was behind that siege.

Mali has been in a state of emergency since the Radisson Blu attack. It was extended for a further six months in April.

The country's security has gradually worsened since 2013, when French forces repelled allied Islamist and Tuareg rebel fighters from parts of the north.

French troops and a 10,000-strong force of UN peacekeepers have been battling to stabilise the former French colony.

Yes, the link is constantly updating. It was a headline only when posted.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

but project said it was jedis. cant be islamists. he has a gun and knows every muslim ever. stop spreading fake news, its not islam, we hear of jedi attacks every day. right? poor muslims copping the brunt for Buddhist, cristian, unicorn, purple people eating, elf, hobbit terrorists.. goodness i despair, so much anti islamic hate..

edit on 18/6/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22

Yeah it will be those buddist monks I bet....

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Not to worry, the French will mop them up in short order. (I can't believe I just typed that),

But yes, honestly the French have quite a competent contingent in Mali complete with arty, light tank support and Air Support, both airplanes and helicopters. Rather.............strange really, but yes, its true.

Strange back story really. Mali is part of former French East Africa colony and for whatever reason.......they've maintained strong ties and relations with East Africa; training doctors; East Africans go to University in Paris, free of charge; the French run their airlines and provide military support. And.........you go to Mali, or even more true, to Senegal, and the national language is French; they have French language Radio and TV service. There are French owned and operated Hotels throughout the area.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

the article says at least 2 dead and hostages taken www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 18-6-2017 by research100 because: added sentence

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Not to worry, the French will mop them up in short order. (I can't believe I just typed that),

But yes, honestly the French have quite a competent contingent in Mali complete with arty, light tank support and Air Support, both airplanes and helicopters. Rather.............strange really, but yes, its true.

Strange back story really. Mali is part of former French East Africa colony and for whatever reason.......they've maintained strong ties and relations with East Africa; training doctors; East Africans go to University in Paris, free of charge; the French run their airlines and provide military support. And.........you go to Mali, or even more true, to Senegal, and the national language is French; they have French language Radio and TV service. There are French owned and operated Hotels throughout the area.

What is strange about it Tony?

Warmest

Lags
edit on 18-6-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I don't know, I mean, I guess it just strikes me as totally weird. The Brits no way maintained this type rapprochement with their former colonies.

The "French" have this "thing"; its an idea of sort of a Pan French Culture in the world; its their way of promoting their language, and culture throughout their former colonies. Most of the Colonial empires fell away in the 1950's/1960's. The French granted their former colonies freedom and sovereignty and then beginning in the 1980's they upped their game of enlarging their influence into the areas. Oddly enough, the locals seem quite happy with the arrangement. I lived in Africa and it was weird. English speakers only source of news was BBC World Service on the short-wave radio. Their were pockets of English civilization left about, primarily in the form of English Hotels, a few old drunken doctors and Barclay's Banks outlets.

The French? You go to East Africa/North Africa........French local radio, t.v., the works. And the hotel experiences can be weird as well........Think, sorta like Casablanca.....dusty two story French colonial style building with a French couple and their local employees running the place, Deux Cheveau truck parked in front; fans spinning overhead and Edith Piaf records being played on a Victrola in the Bar.

The only nut they couldn't crack was Algeria, but recently, because of the terrorist threat in Mali, the Algerians are working more closely with the French. They've let them use their air fields and have obviously granted them access to Algerian air space. Whose to say? Algeria may be next; God knows the French are deeply entrenched in Tunisia and Morocco and I know from friends they're poking about Libya. I stayed at one of their hotels in the desert Oasis of Ghadames back in the early 1970's, complete with Edith Piaf records.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I never said their wouldn't be casualties.

www.thelocal.fr...

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

relax!...I just posted an update..didn't mean to step on your toes...sorry you took my post the wrong way! I see your link the deaths are up to 5 ...sadly figured it would go up

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

You didn't step on my toes...no apologies necessary actually; I welcomed the oportunity to provide more information for a complete picture.

I hoped to make the picture clearer because I'd guess that very few in the US have been following this story and probably aren't up to date on the deployment situation or the casualties that have been had. Actually, its pretty hard to get quality up to date info on the situation. The MSM doesn't cover it at all or at least, very little and then, only sporadically.

top topics

join