It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea accuses U.S. authorities of 'mugging' its diplomats at NY airport

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

You do not know the first thing about diplomatic immunity.

The problem here, is that you don't know that you haven't a clue.

P

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: yuppa

You do not know the first thing about diplomatic immunity.

The problem here, is that you don't know that you haven't a clue.

P

Was NKa signatory to the Agreement that gives them a way to smuggle documents as personal baggage? If no then they are not a victim.

This dont matter though because....the US agents found it was not protected under the law and that was why it was confiscated.
edit on 17000000ppam by yuppa because: clarification

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
State Department rejects North Korean claims its officials were 'mugged' in New York

A senior State Department official on Monday rejected allegations that U.S. officials of "mugging" a North Korean diplomatic team as it left New York City following a United Nations conference, but did say the U.S. confiscated "multiple media items and packages" from the officials, consistent with standard procedures.

Department of Homeland Security officials confiscated items from a trio of North Koreans departing from John F. Kennedy International Airport, prompting a physical confrontation between between the two sides. North Korea accused U.S. officials of carrying out "a malicious provocation" by screening protected diplomats, and vowed retaliation if they don't receive an apology.

But Susan Thornton, an acting assistant secretary of state, told reporters Monday that North Korean officials are subject to regular inspection as they leave.

"I think it's important to note that the inspected individuals in this case are not exempt from inspection at our nation's ports of entry or departure," she said.

click link for entire article...

There are varying degrees of Diplomatic Immunity not to mention the US and North Korea have no diplomatic relations. They are diplomats assigned to the UN and not the US. In addition Diplomats in the US will be issued a diplomatic category that defines who and what is protected and what is not. As an example a few years ago a woman from India was detained / arrested. While she had Diplomatic immunity, her status only qualified it for certain functions and did not extend to everything at any time.

There are certain actions that are not protected by diplomatic immunity and usually revolves around actions that are inconsistent with the status of a Diplomat or Diplomatic mission / Embassy.

Click for larger image -

Finally -
US State Department - Legal Aspects of Diplomatic Immunity and Privileges

Diplomatic immunity for international organizations are restricted and Diplomats can be search / have their items searched. The UN is an international organization.

click for larger image -

ETA - As an afterthought I have to wonder if the action taken against North Korean "diplomats" had anything to do with N.K. seizing the 4 American citizens and returning one in a coma (who did not suffer from botulism).
edit on 19-6-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
North Korea accused U.S. officials of carrying out "a malicious provocation" by screening protected diplomats, and vowed retaliation if they don't receive an apology.

I guess Dennis Rodman may run into trouble on his next visit.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
if I had my preference, we would have seized the danged diplomats and held them till they released the other american prisoners... they can just be glad that their diplomats would be returned in the same condition as they came!!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

North Korea accused U.S. officials of carrying out "a malicious provocation" by screening protected diplomats, and vowed retaliation if they don't receive an apology.

Doubtfull... Kimmy is fond of him.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Doubtfull... Kimmy is fond of him.

Kimmy shot his own wife an dkilled a aunt. HE was fond of them too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join