It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to the middle of the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I will be moving to Wichita for a new job next week. I'm wondering if any ATS Community members are familiar with the area and can give me any pointers for food, recreation, areas to avoid, etc.
I'm from the South, so it's not relocating to a foreign country for me or anything. I just don't know anything about the town, or really the state in general.

So, I was hoping some of the folks here would have some knowledge they wouldn't mind passing along. Like good local nightlife, local restaurants, outdoor activities around there, etc. And before the recommendations come flooding in, I don't need to know about the local bbq scene, but thank you.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
And thanks to whomever flagged this post just now. Hopefully someone else will notice it with your help.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Good luck with your move! I have a friend that lives there, and her complaints is not a lot of seafood. She always eats tons of seafood when she visits me. But I'm sure lots of BBQ ! ....also, she said they used to just worry about tornados, but now get earthquakes too.( I'm guessing fracking ? )...

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Anywhere James and Wyatt Earp lived is okay by me. But I'm an Aussie. Liked the stories and the legend. Tough people.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Thanks.
And I made sure we are getting a reinforced safe room in our temporary rental house.
There's no way my wife would live there without a storm shelter of some sort attached to or in the house.
edit on 18-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Definitely a good legend to follow.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

2nd

bally

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Yo! That was me..
I know nothing of Wichita Kansas. So I was curious too.

So I hear McConnell Airforce Base is nice.😉

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Yo! That was me..

Well, thanks!. Actually, some of my work will be on the base, and others in the region.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Well best of luck to you and yours. You can always Amazon the food you like, and the WiFi should be suitable.

Seriously, make sure the WiFi is fast.😁
edit on 18-6-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Just the word 'Wichita' was enough to start hearing White Stripes' Seven Nation Army bassline in my head. You've got to play it on the way over

I'm going to Wichita
Far from this opera for evermore
I'm gonna work the straw
Make the sweat drip out of every pore
And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding
Right before the lord
All the words are gonna bleed from me
And I will think no more

UK here so can't say much beyond entering Wichita into Tripadvisor. Reviewers are very positive. There are pages on 'Top 10 places to visit,' restaurants, bakeries, inns, bars and so on.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

At my current residence, we have UVerse, which while being literally less than a mile from a major college campus, is capped at 18Mb downstream.

Sucks rocks.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I've never heard the song. I'll look.it up. Thanks

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

And I can't escape these words repeating in my head at the moment.

I am a lineman for the county
And I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singin' in the wire,
I can hear you through the whine
And the Wichita lineman is still on the line

I know I need a small vacation
But it don't look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south won't ever stand the strain
And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time
And the Wichita lineman is still on the line

And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time
And the Wichita lineman is still on the line (with regards to Glenn Campbell)

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Good call

Brits and Aussies don't seem to be as good at marking our places with songs. I can look at a map of the southern States and see place after place named in songs. Even birthplaces too. My USA mental map is what band came from where and which great concert was played by who.

ETA -

You're in for a treat!

edit on 6.18.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

The second song I do know.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Lived in wichita my whole life, welcome.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Yo! That was me..

I loved wichita and the simplicity of it. It was like a huge town until about 4 years ago. Now we have traffic jams and its dense, everyone moving here pretty much ruined the simple life of wichita. Nothing lasts forever i guess.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: xSEEKxNxSTRIKEx

My home town was very much the same until the last decade. I'm from Baton Rouge, and since the days immediately after Katrina flooded New Orleans, this town has been noticeably different.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: xSEEKxNxSTRIKEx

My home town was very much the same until the last decade. I'm from Baton Rouge, and since the days immediately after Katrina flooded New Orleans, this town has been noticeably different.

Yee, katrina did a number to New Orleans. Wichita is very easy to learn and get around in. The city is like a grid. Learn all main intersections and your good with out a gps, i never use one. Lots of hole in the wall restaraunts especially mexican food, food trucks, idc for night life much anymore but if you wanna get some dri ks in you go to old town and try to stay out of trouble, its a hit n miss running imto pricks there, the river walk by the keeper of the plains is nice though, if you have a dog there is a huge dog park south east of wichita right next to the drive in theaters. Sams club has the best pizza for $9 i think, lots of lakes and camping places, west side of wichita is nicer btw, imo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join