It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dang It!!! Busted my hand.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Two weeks ago I jammed my right hand (pinky and right ring finger) Had a lot of stuff to get done and didn't have time to deal with it. figured it was just a bad sprain so I just lived with it. Been favoring it a little, but that was hard changing the axle on the trailer and hauling hay. Kept re-injuring it one way or another. Stuff to do!!

Today I was taking the plates off the old trailer and I really tweaked it good. Simple task, but I twisted it just the wrong way. Wife said we should go get it checked out. Two broken bones in my hand and a dislocated finger. Dislocated finger was back in place, but one of the bones was the joint around the finger.

Side Note: Typing with only 8 fingers sucks, and this one took a while!

Now I have two fingers taped together, with a big ol' popsicle stick lookin' thing taped onto my hand. Heck, I can't even flip people off good now (looks like a combination of F# you, and Spock's 'live long and prosper' at the same time).

Feels better already though. Maybe I can take this crap off tomorrow.

edit...I can't even begin to count how many typos I had typing this!!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
They wanna' cast this thing on Monday (whole hand, up to mmy elbow)...no way!!

Hell, then Id have to tupe with my left only. Look out!!

p.s. sorry for all the tyos=, I hate em too!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Flying one ... some advice for you.

My mum did that sort of thing once. In later years and for the remaining 1/3 of her long life, she had very limited use of that hand.

Get it fixed properly, let the damn thing heal properly and then you will be able to properly enjoy the rest of your days.

Otherwise ... you may have to find an office job ... and I can't quite see you in that role ... just does not fit.

Stop being a woosie version of He-man.

Let it heal baby, let it heal.

P

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that man. Eat ice cream. If you break a bone always eat ice cream.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
"F" it, I cut it off!!!!

Screw that! Now my 3rd finger hurts like it's broke and I can hardly bend it. I took that crap off! AT least I can type. Hand still feels jacked up, but I wonder if them people know what they're doin'.

It was feelin' better for a while, but the more I left it on the worse it got. Screw that noise!

I don't think half these people know what the heck they're doing!!

"Here, let us bend your fingers this way...does that hurt? Good, okay, that's exactly how we need to leave them...splint it that way!"

It's like going to the dentist. "does that hurt?" "Okay, good, let's drill right there for a really long time!!"

"Nurse, I need to get this call, but keep drilling right here on this super sensitive spot until this "badass" muds his pants, okay??"

Hand feels much better now!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Shoot, I've had way more broke crap than this. This is just an inconvenience. I shoulda' never let my wonderful bride talk me into going and getting some kind of attention. It's been two weeks for cripes sakes. Wrangled a bull, replaced a HD axle on a heavy haul trailer, and hauled 30 tons of hay since then. They act like I'm some kinda baby or somethin'.

Heck, they must have wrapped about 15 miles of tape on my hand, along with all manner of popsicle lookin' sticks. "Come back on Monday so we can cast this" they said. Screw that!

Back in '87 my left hand was crushed. They said "you'll never type again, but you'll be able to use your hand somewhat". I type 75 wpm now, with full use of my left hand. Heck, I'm typing now, and my right hand feels one hell of a lot better than it did with all that tape and crap on it! Why would I want to get it casted, full cast to the elbow on Monday?

I thinks these people are crazy!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I was down to having two usable digits until very recently.
I busted my shoulder in a bike accident and damaged a radial nerve on my left arm.
My hand was just a floppy piece of limp meat.
I have to do a lot of lifting at work and making my right hand do double duty caused all but my middle digit to go stiff.
I had a left thumb and a screw you finger on my right to type with.
It sucked...plus I play guitar. Very frustrating.
Pretty sure I've got it all back in serviceable condition, but it took over a month.
Never missed a day of work or complained about it.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Good on you, man!! I never missed a day either (aside from the ICU part, no choice about that). Seriously, good on you!!

I get it about the shoulder injury. Worst one I had was a dislocated elbow (worst injury imaginable!!!). Got 987 stitches in my head that day, bruised heart, ruptured spleen, 12 broken ribs, smashed left hand, broken leg and 2 ruptured vertebrae. They asked me what hurt..."MY ELBOW!!" OMG, that was the worst injury I've ever had, my elbow. I can't even begin to describe how painful an elbow injury is. A person can't even breathe, or think, without moving their elbow!

If someone ever wanted to come up with a truly "cruel, unusual and particularly obscene" torture, they'd bend someone's elbow backwards at a 45 degree angle!! OMG...people would pray for DEATH before having someone even touch it to assist! It's horrible!! I would never wish something like that on my worst enemy There is no pain killer known to man which will help. An elbow just laughs at 1000 cc's of Demerol and 300 cc's of Morphine!!! They said the amount of pain killers would "kill" a full sized horse...it was unimaginable!

This is just a hand injury. No biggie.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingclaydiskI'm alright...I broke my fall.

edit on 18-6-2017 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
If ya wanna heal bone eat heaps of whitebait fish, sardines and anchovies any fish you can eat the bones. No one would complain about white bait fritters for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Sorry bout your hand.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I broke my fall.

LOL...me too!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

(choke) (snort)...yeah, me too!!

edit...that is probably the most profound statement anyone has ever said to me..."I broke my fall". No one, ever, in my life has ever said it better!! Yep, I know EXACTLY what that means! So simple, yet so very profound! No four words could ever describe such an event better than those four. Absolutely fantastic!! Only someone who has been there will ever understand those words, truly understand them. And I was the Rescue guy too.

Wow...I think I'm even crying because of that statement! All the risks you take, all the absolutely crazy stuff you do...and if you can only utter four simple words (with all the oxygen masks, IV's and electronic crap hooked to you), no four words will tell the story better than..."I broke my fall". If those were your last words on this Earth, people would print them in books!

I went down in a tangle of ropes, two litters, three people and seven stories up. We were out of reach of the ladder trucks.

I just wish I'd have had the wherewithal to say..."I broke my fall"

edit on 6/18/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Listen to your doctor and keep it taped or casted....I know it sucks and is a pain in the ass , but you need to Heal it properly . Just do it the right way now , and get it over with. Otherwise you will have debilitating arthritis and no use of your hand. ....And do you think that fair to your wife , because in the future she will be the one caregiving you because you can't use your hands....and all because your just being stubborn now...you can avoid that if you heal it properly now. Don't seal yourself into a horrible fate because your stubborn and this is an inconvenience . ....do the right thing and make your future life better for you and your wife !!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
I get you FCD. Been building a 4-story house for 6 months (bricks, mortar and lots of steel reinforcement). Around 2 months ago I walked backwards into a hole where there aren't any stairs yet. I managed to catch myself on a concrete beam on one side with my armpit, and on the other side with the inside of my right foot, but that last part, along with gravity, caused my body weight to bend my knee outward. If I had gone through the hole, it would have been an 11 foot drop onto 8 inches of concrete...

Instantly scrambled out of the hole, onto my back, and just started bending my knee up and down towards my chest even though that hurt like hell. All I could think was "NO way is this knee gonna stop working and slow down my building plans. I've got ladders and scaffolding to climb all day." Never saw a doc, just focussed on not twisting my knee outward or inward. The pain subsided slowly but surely, and 6 weeks later it was good as new. All the brick work is done, and Monday I start on the roof.

So yeah! Mind over body, I believe in that.

soulwaxer

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Good advice, this kind of thing needs time to heal up properly, even if it feels better.

The docs know what they're doing.

I remember straining my thumb when I was little and the doctor manipulating the finger. I said "I don't want some damn doctor messing with my hand!". Felt bad about it and apologized, it's not fun though, especially when you're 8.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

What, you mean the wife who tells me to go tangle with the 2,300 lb. bull and get him away from his "wimmins"????

LOL!!

And, if I don't do it...she will !! As many times as I've had a bull or horse throw me down and stomp me into the dirt, or some other crazy animal try to go postal on my silly backside for some stupid reason, as many times as I've gotten up and just shook it off. (shrug) It was all just dust. Just dirt. The thing with age is sometimes now you just get up a bit slower (but always faster than the bull !!).

I always thought the QB Peyton Manning had a great saying with "Just rub some dirt on it!". Maybe we all just need to "rub some dirt on it", and move on!

Hand is feeling better now, BTW.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
You should have it taped up properly. I know it's a pain, but it's only temporary. Not worth it healing wrong and causing worse issues, which it will.
My entire left arm and hand is paralyzed. I'm typing with one finger . Can't do much with one hand but I've adapted. Broke three ribs and collar bone two weeks ago as well . Sorry, but you're not that bad off!
Just have some patience. My lack of patience is how I broke the ribs. I just want to do things I can't actually do. Patience!!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Patience is not my strong suit. My life is a rodeo practically every day. You either get on the bull and ride, or you go sit on the porch. I ride.

Yes, on a normal day, with a normal person, you'd probably be correct. However, two weeks went by and I didn't "die", but today they seemed to think it was fatal! (or something) LOL!! Then they wrapped 16 miles of tape around me. Heck, they could have used that for the Federal Reserve bank! I didn't have any part actually falling off (yet), and all they did was make one of my fingers which wasn't hurt...hurt. I can move my dang hand, and the doc shook my hand like a limp dang rag (I think I hurt him)...maybe his hand needs bandaged! LOL!! (just kidding). Made two business deals today which were both closed with a firm handshake. It was just that damn screw on the license plate which tweaked my hand just the wrong way.

When I first posted this OP, I had a bunch of tape on my hand. After a while I realized how silly that was.

Shoot, rattlesnakes are skeered of me (I'm skeered of them too, but I don't let 'em know that). When they started talking about a cast up to my elbow...I was thinking "whoa, I ain't hurt that bad!!". I think a few hours with those silly popsicle sticks in there fixed it up just fine.

I'm good...ready to ride.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I dropped a 45 pound hydraulic press head on my right index finger about 5 years ago. Split the pad over the last bone open wide, but the doctor just stitched it. Nothing to be done for the bone, as it was broken laterally but not enough to warrant surgery.
My dominant hand, in a job where I have 20 or so hand-written reports to add to or generate daily.
I feel your pain.
Oh, the injured last joint of that finger, while previously symmetrical with the same joint on my left hand, is now 1/3 wider, including the nail and nail bed, after healing.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Hope it heals up well and rapidly.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I've jammed or broken the bones in my hands and fingers several times over the years. No Doc, no tape, just yank'em back in shape, maybe a few Advil [ the whiskey had to wait till later ] deal with the pain and get on with it.
When ya got sh** to do, ya got sh** to do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join