It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religeous Discrimination?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
www.wstm.com...

COLUMBIA, Mo. A pagan celebration in Missouri has been moved to another site after the original hotel in backed out.
Members of the Ozark Avalon Church of Nature-Wicca are gathering this weekend in Columbia to mark the Wiccan holiday celebrating the transition from winter to spring. . .

Yep, I'd say they have a pretty good case if they wanted to sue.

[edit on 5-2-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes and no. This is definately discrimination, but it's not being done by the government. It's being done by a private enterprise, and they are allowed to make marketing decisions. In this case, they felt hosting this party (as in group) would be bad for profits. This is where, in my mind, liberals and conservatives differ and legitimately. I believe that a business has the right to make such a marketing decision to keep other customers. A liberal would see it as trampling the rights of this group, which is totally legitimate. So where do you stand, would you like to see this group be allowed to have their meeting while the business goes under because people don't appreciate that?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I would like to add that both of these organizations are going to be doing very well because of this media attention. We don't need to worry about these particular participants. However, in the future or on a fundamental level, where do you stand? (gonna phrase my question loaded for the other side, now) Should a business have the right to trample someone's rights to express their views so they can continue to make a profit?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
they can sue in Federal Court. Title II of the '64 Civil Rights acts specifically prohibits businesses from denying individuals or groups the right to "public accomodations" based on their religion.

From the DOJ website:

Public Accommodations and Facilities

* Three Buddhist monks go out to a restaurant wearing robes, but the proprietor says "we don't allow religious garb in here. Come back when you are dressed normally."

*snip*

These examples may be violations of Federal law. Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination based on religion in public accommodations such as restaurants, theaters, and hotels.

This hotel is going to lose so bad if this goes to trial.

B.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
if you read the article it says the hotel was afraid of protesters.

Protesters mean less customers
Possible stigma
Possible loss of business

It is discrimination, but also since they are a private orginization they have every right to do it. it could very well be that the Hotel was getting threats mailed ot them about this event. Most people have nothing against wiccans, yet the problem is there is nothing in society today to balance the fanatics that hate wiccians

As far as should this be allowed? sure, as long as percausions are made to create a rappor with both parties to solve problems as they appear. I work closely with a Local Sci-Fi convention and it is amazing the amounts of threats and posturing the Manager does when it is specifically agreed in a contact we can have late night room parties that make lots of noise. We still get complaints.

top topics

join